BFD Drums Jazz Sticks and Brushes for BFD Player for $14.99 Each

cclarry

It's cheap enough,  but I find this entire line disappointing. And I really like Drew, one of the developers, who's posted here and on the BFD forum.  He seems like a sincerely nice person. For those who can't afford paid options, I think BFD Player is worth picking up. But the drums aren't even close to the quality of ezDrummer, AD2, or NI's various acoustic drum kit libraries. It just seems like InMusic didn't allocate the appropriate resources make this product competitive.

That said, at $12.59, there aren't a lot of  alternatives. My hope is that they improve this line. 

10 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

But the drums aren't even close to the quality of ezDrummer, AD2, or NI's various acoustic drum kit libraries.

Dissenting view: There are plenty of people here who disagree with this statement. But, as usual, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

So these won't work in BFD?

my understanding is they are "reduced" versions of existing BFD3 expansions for the budget PLAYER, specifically the Jazz Noir expansion for these.

Edited by jackson white

3 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Speaking of which, I highly recommend this Platinum Samples Brush Kit library.

I was just listening on my phone and I love the tone on those drums. Session Drummer? Isn't that the plugin from Cakewalk? I remember Platinum Samples making libraries for BFD 3. I didn't get them because I don't have BFD 3, but the demos sounded excellent and they were made by some legends. I'm intrigued. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Session Drummer? Isn't that the plugin from Cakewalk?

Yes. It used to be widely available, probably, you can still install it.
UPD: "Formatted for Cakewalk Session Drummer 3 and Dimension Pro".

Edited by Soundwise
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

So these won't work in BFD?

I'm thinking maybe no, they don't work in BFD. The BFD License Manager didn't accept the license codes I got. I'll wait a few more days and try again.

Edited by fret_man

22 hours ago, jackson white said:

my understanding is they are "reduced" versions of existing BFD3 expansions for the budget PLAYER, specifically the Jazz Noir expansion for these.

Drew, a developer who works on the BFD team for InMusic, explained on this forum several months ago that the libraries for BFD Player are newly recorded and not compatible with BFD3. So, they're new and different, and not reduced versions. Drew had also shared that the new BFD Player libraries have more detail than the BFD3 libraries, which were recorded more than a decade ago. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

24 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Drew, a developer who works on the BFD team for InMusic, explained on this forum several months ago that the libraries for BFD Player are newly recorded and not compatible with BFD3. So, they're new and different, and not reduced versions. Drew had also shared that the new BFD Player libraries have more detail than the BFD3 libraries, which were recorded more than a decade ago. 

Except maybe these two packs...

The BFD website states:

Crafted from the acclaimed BFD Jazz Noir expansion pack, this pack unveils a distinctive essence – introducing the timeless allure of vintage jazz.

I am not saying they are reduced versions, just that it appears that they are not newly recorded.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

13 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Except maybe these two packs...

The BFD website states:

Crafted from the acclaimed BFD Jazz Noir expansion pack, this pack unveils a distinctive essence – introducing the timeless allure of vintage jazz.

I am not saying they are reduced versions, just that it appears that they are not newly recorded.

Ah, if they  were made since that thread, then that would make sense. Drew was just referring to what was released at the time, which I believe was only two expansion kits. But Drew had stated that the libraries made for BFD Player had more detail than the ones created for BFD3 more than a decade ago. 

EDIT: I just went to the site and saw that InMusic has been repurposing the old BFD3 kits to make BFD Expansion Packs. FTR, I'm not sure how they're getting around things like the BFD3 kits not having round robins (I realize they use programming to grab different velocity hits in BFD3 -- perhaps that's what they're doing with the Player too; I thought Drew had stated that BFD Player used round robins). I really like the demo for BFD3 Jazz Noir a lot, but the demos for the BFD Player Expansion Jazz Sticks expansion didn't sound anything like the demos for Jazz Noir and frankly, I was very turned off by the demos. I'd be interested in hearing the raw Expansion kit raw. 

@Drew Vernon If this is the same kit as featured on the Jazz Noir page?  

https://www.bfddrums.com/expansions/jazz-noir.html 

Edited by PavlovsCat

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Ah, if they  were made since that thread, then that would make sense. Drew was just referring to what was released at the time. I thought these were out then.  But Drew had stated that the libraries made for BFD Player had more detail than the ones created for BFD3 more than a decade ago. 

As far as I know, every single BFD Player library released so far has been created from existing BFD libraries (which is clearly stated on the product pages), and they are VERY MUCH reduced to have less detail and it is VERY MUCH noticable. It brings the BFD libraries down to an AD2 or even SSD5 level and this whole thing is a disaster and one of the worst business decisions I've ever seen. It's likely such a failure of a product that we might never see a BFD4 now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jngnz said:

As far as I know, every single BFD Player library released so far has been created from existing BFD libraries (which is clearly stated on the product pages), and they are VERY MUCH reduced to have less detail and it is VERY MUCH noticable. It brings the BFD libraries down to an AD2 or even SSD5 level and this whole thing is a disaster and one of the worst business decisions I've ever seen. It's likely such a failure of a product that we might never see a BFD4 now.

I'm not a BFD3 user, can't compare libraries directly, but in my book the latest free BFD Player is the worst drum VSTi that I have ever tried. Not really sure why you would still put it above AD2 and SSD5. Could you elaborate?

5 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I'm not a BFD3 user, can't compare libraries directly, but in my book the latest free BFD Player is the worst drum VSTi that I have ever tried. Not really sure why you would still put it above AD2 and SSD5. Could you elaborate?

I didn’t say above. Also, I tried it for like 5 minutes before going THEY BUTCHERED MY BOY!!! and uninstalling.

BFD3 and especially the Dark Farm expansion is the deepest sampled and best sounding drum library I'm aware of. I mean, one particular Dark Farm hi-hat alone is like 9 GB IIRC.

BFD Player sounds like they removed literally 90% of velocity layers and other details and went „this is good enough for the average user anyway“. And I don’t think it is. Let alone drummers and anyone trying to use it for more than quick demos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Player stuff aside, most of the full BFD3 sounds  are very high quality. It is really sad that InMusic has bobbled the ball so often on its implementation since buying it. I’m also a fan of the Platinum Samples guys. The Baresi kits were one of the first separate kits  I bought, and they have a certain organic feel  that is characteristic of a lot of the BFD3 stuff. Back in the day, they also made the Baresi stuff available for Superior Drummer as well.

• Like 2

BFD3 keeps crashing on me. So I quit reaching for it and EZD3 has been mybgo-to lately.  

Session Drummer 3 from CW was a great drum program. I got kits from Platinum Sample that were just fantastic.  Steve Ferrone was and outstanding kit. That was another great program by CW that just withered away. Dim Pro, Rapture, and Zeta.