Why Is Apple's USB-C Cable $130?

kitekrazy

Fascinating! If anyone cares to actually watch it, the answer is right there. The Apple cable is infinitely superior in every aspect. 

I've always wondered if there was much of a difference between cables and what caused those differences.  Although I would never buy a $130 cable for my purpose, and it's questionable whether 99% of people buying USB-C cable need that sort of quality, the product is definitely in a league of its own.

Edited by Rain

Cables unto themselves are pretty generic (why they have a spec), so a lot of the cost is brand/hype. I just broke a clip off an ethernet cable a couple weeks ago and Amazon had a 6-pack of 7' CAT 8 cables for $21. Although CAT 8 is overkill, not only did I get the one I needed but 5 spares for $3.50 a piece.

Even 10' USB-C cables are under $5. If you are familiar with the manufacturers that make chips themselves, they are not expensive either.... even things like the Apollo3 Blue, which has a wickedly low power consumption for its capabilities, is $3.99 (retail). What they started talking about in the video that bored me enough to close it doesn't come close.

@craigb yeah, the "SHINY!!!!!" summed it up nicely!

• Like 2

Why? To make money. 

Cost to make each cable, $20 

Cost of 10000 units bought, $200000

Needs to sell less than 1600 units at a cost of $130 to make money back.

That makes 8400 units (sold on sale for $99 = 831k)  nothing but profit.

All these cost figures are made up based on no experience at all. :)

Used as examples to illustrate profit motive.

Edited by Grem

15 hours ago, Rain said:

The Apple cable is infinitely superior in every aspect. 

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Bullshit.

Its snake oil just like overpriced "audiophile" speaker wire and guitar cables.

That could have been sarcasm.

Just sayin'! 😉 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Bullshit.

Its snake oil just like overpriced "audiophile" speaker wire and guitar cables.

Bullshit. Did you even watch the video or are you just reciting the usual anti-Apple clichés?

I am not saying that it is useful or reasonably price. I am saying that it is superior from an engineering, design, and manufacturing point of view.

None of that makes a difference to 99% of the USB-C using population so most of us are okay with a cable that's not a 10th the price.

I wouldn't buy one.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1