Why Is Apple's USB-C Cable $130?

kitekrazy

Cables do make a difference, but I'm talking about a $1.99 cable from the impulse buy rack at your local Casey's (Midwest's version of 7-11 only a trillion times better) vs. a decent $20 dollar cable. I tried out Amazon Basic's cables and they are excellent. They are all I use now. Those and the inexpensive audio and guitar cables Sweets pushes. Those things are indestructible and absolutely noise free.

One of the tenants where I work had problems with her TV locking up. Circle of death when you turned on the cable box and router and you had to keep rebooting everything. She had two people who "know a lot about the internets and AV" check it and the cable company twice. The cable company said they found a piece of metal inside the wall jack and blamed her problem on the guy who rewired the place. So she called him (me). 

The phone line, AC, HDMI, and cable box wires were all in a tangled pile of spaghetti. None of the 4 people who looked at it before me untangled it. I separated everything in to nice neat coils and moved them away from each other and she hasn't had a problem since. That wouldn't have happened if they were decent cables with shielding. 

So yeah, I'm a believer in decent cables, not the hair thin stuff that comes with most cheap devices, but man, $130 for a USB cable and $626 for an 18Gb HDMI cable is an absolute rip off. Sorry if I offend anyone by saying that, but it is. A 6ft. 48Gb 8K certified Amazon Basics cable is $9.49.

What would be interesting to see is if there was some kind of video null test like we do with audio to visually see if there's a difference between cables.

• Like 2

To all the "possible future " Kenny Ex Girlfriends !  Out There !

People Enjoying Nice Interesting Serenades  will no longer be able to charge the former rate of $ 20 dollars a foot .

Our in house customer loyalty program has determined a price hike is in order to combat shrinkflation and a diminishing market presence and demand for our product.  

We look forward to serving you in the near future once we have determined a fair market price for our valued services .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1