IK Product Manager downgraded to 0.0.0

Fleer

2 hours ago, locrian said:

I looked in both %APPDATA\Local and %APPDATA\Roaming

it's %APPDATA% (percentage signs before and after - just cut and paste that into an explorer window) - which takes you to  \appdata\roaming

the .ddl (!) file is in the root of that directory - might be set to hidden by default ?

msregsvv.dll

Part of the IKM authorisation system clumsily masquerading as a MS ddl.

There are others too, spread around your PC.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, simon said:

it's %APPDATA% (percentage signs before and after - just cut and paste that into an explorer window) - which takes you to  \appdata\roaming

the .ddl (!) file is in the root of that directory - might be set to hidden by default ?

msregsvv.dll

Part of the IKM authorisation system clumsily masquerading as a MS ddl.

There are others too, spread around your PC.

Okay, I see it now.  Thanks for the insight.

wow there were threads here 10 years ago on these files, as well as unanswered on the IK forum (https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?t=30901)

IMO it's not great for programs to install files outside their directories unless absolutely needed, especially to system paths, and not great to leave files after uninstallation, but is it true that

1) it's not actually a DLL or executable, and

2) it's just named that way and placed outside of their product folder, possibly so users think it's an official OS file and leave it alone?

if so, it's not ideal but I'd have followup questions if Windows does have a "real" msregsvv.dll 

Edited by mister_tea
revised questions to be clearer

another +1 to signing code. It's the right thing to do for users. And if the bean-counters say that's not worth the cost of EV certs (like Simon mentions, $hundreds, approximately three Pianoverse pianos), it will save the company the cost of support calls for "are you sure you want to run this downloaded thing?" dialogs you get for unsigned installers, and some SmartScreen false positives.

Edited by mister_tea

2 hours ago, mister_tea said:

it's not ideal but I'd have followup questions if Windows does have a "real" msregsvv.dll 

probably something more like "msregsvr.dll" see the visual similarity ;) 

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:
12 hours ago, simon said:

This situation is made even worse as IKM refuse to sign their Windows installers (saving approx $10!).

Actually between $179 USD to $499 USD a year, cheaper if you buy multiyear packages.  Apple certs run around $100 per year.
(maybe $10 if you consider splitting that cost over their numerous products)
I've seen some cheaper Windows certs but they're issued per person not per company.
But do 100% agree that a company IKM's size really should have their products signed.

If I was IKM, I would probably do a quick nice group buy just for collecting money for the necessary signing (hint.. hint..) :D:D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t have anything from IKM, but I do have a lot of things from UVI. They have the same bad habit of not signing their Windows installers. I get a feeling Windows is almost an afterthought for many plugin manufacturers.

"Yeah, right. What’s it called? Windows? I guess we have to make an installer for that as well. Oh, putain! I have to catch the bus in ten minutes, but I’ll try to squeeze it in! Isn’t there a Windows computer somewhere down in the basement?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Canopus said:

I get a feeling Windows is almost an afterthought for many plugin manufacturers.

"Yeah, right. What’s it called? Windows? I guess we have to make an installer for that as well. Oh, putain! I have to catch the bus in ten minutes, but I’ll try to squeeze it in! Isn’t there a Windows computer somewhere down in the basement?"

This is exactly how I imagine it! 😂

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 6:21 AM, Canopus said:

I get a feeling Windows is almost an afterthought for many plugin manufacturers.

Windows is still the biggest market - the issue I think has more to do with the fact that Windows allows you not to go down the "certification" path and still release something.

Anyone that has released iOS apps/products knows Apple requires a fair amount of hoop jumping.  

You can release something with Windows to a wide audience without any interaction with Microsoft or giving them a dime.  The "warning" pop-ups for unsigned applications seems pretty new in the long history of MS where you really feel like MS is telling you it might be blocked or is a potentially bad idea to install something.

Edited by Brian Walton

So I had to upgrade to 1.0.8 in order to access my software and antivirus software still lit up during installation due to "Trojan Lokibot" (or "Trojan.TR/AD.SessLogger.tixjz") found in availability.exe.

Edited by Kirean
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1