Connecting The Dots - remix

Lynn Wilson

Ahoy, mates!  Here is a song that I recorded in July, but just finished the mix a few days ago.  My friend, Roger Fife, played bass on this, and I did the rest.  As always, the mix is still open, and I welcome your thoughts, suggestions, etc.  I appreciate your time and good ears!  Btw, for those who are curious, I do all my work in CbB, using plug-ins from CW, Waves, Melda, and various free vst's.

Connecting The Dots can be found here:  https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14588159

remix: 09/25/23

I replaced the ping-pong delay on the verses with a simple 1/8 note delay (except for a word or two), and left it only on the choruses.   I dialed both delays back a notch.   I also turned the lead vocal and bass down a tad.  Hopefully, this makes the vocal more discernable.  Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by Lynn Wilson
  • Like 6

Very interesting start and the various breaks and re-starts ... I think Paul Bush has a point with your vox and I tend to agree. 

I have listened a couple of times and am not sure if it comes across as a little fussy in places .. but it works as a mix, perhaps you could work the beginning bit into the song somehow as it has a spooky feel to it .. I dunno .

For what it's worth I like the song .. message leaves me to think your feeling your age my friend ... great work Lynn

ATB

Steve

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 10:24 AM, Paul Bush said:

Hi Lynn, lots of twists and turns as always , Loved the radio vocal bit .. guitar was great , I prefere yor voice without the delay  though lots in there super song ..P

Thank you, Paul, for your encouraging words.  This is the first song that I used a ping-pong delay on a lead vocal, so consider it an experiment.  Stay well!

On 9/8/2023 at 10:31 AM, markno999 said:

Lynn,

This is just a terrific production from the "mysterious" intro to the Santana'ish guitar riffs.    Also really like how you have done the drums and percussion on this track.    Very cool song.

Regards

Mark, I should have given you some of the credit because you gave me the idea for the breaks between the verses and choruses.  I'm using the drum kit that you turned me onto with our prior song.  You've had a big influence on me this year!

22 hours ago, jack c. said:

love that title.spooky.nice echo and song feel.well done.jack c

Jack, thank you so much!

8 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

Very interesting start and the various breaks and re-starts ... I think Paul Bush has a point with your vox and I tend to agree. 

I have listened a couple of times and am not sure if it comes across as a little fussy in places .. but it works as a mix, perhaps you could work the beginning bit into the song somehow as it has a spooky feel to it .. I dunno .

For what it's worth I like the song .. message leaves me to think your feeling your age my friend ... great work Lynn

ATB

Steve

Steve, thanks a million for your comments!  It's funny, I never thought of the beginning as "spooky", but you may be onto something in regard to working it into the song elsewhere.  You may be right about feeling my age ;), though in some ways this message is about a younger person learning the ropes of life (for some of my millennial friends).  Your ideas have always been beneficial to me!

• Like 1

Very fascinating to listen to Lynn . . . I'm hearing the bongo type sound as the "dots", and the offbeat beat snare in the chorus works very well ! The recording of this is simply magnificent, panning and delays, riffs are flying left and right, a very cool headphone experience to be sure. Love the vocals, and the way it ends, coda perfect.

My favourite part is of course that guitar solo that introduces the chorus section, and that swell before it, very well conceived . . .

Bruce

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 12:36 AM, noynekker said:

Very fascinating to listen to Lynn . . . I'm hearing the bongo type sound as the "dots", and the offbeat beat snare in the chorus works very well ! The recording of this is simply magnificent, panning and delays, riffs are flying left and right, a very cool headphone experience to be sure. Love the vocals, and the way it ends, coda perfect.

My favourite part is of course that guitar solo that introduces the chorus section, and that swell before it, very well conceived . . .

Bruce

Thank you, Bruce,  I'm happy to hear from you!  I did make extensive use of my headphones and earbuds for this.  As stated above, Markno 999 suggested the break before the choruses, and I came up the the swell.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good ;)

11 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

love this Lynn - the mix and production is top notch mate

Daryl, thanks so much.  I've learned a lot from your own productions, my friend!

• Like 1

Hey Lynn!

I love the production here. The music is very slick, very polished, impeccably produced, it sounds like a cross between Toto and Pink Floyd. The swell before one of the verses was stunning, the guitar work is impeccable. And the overall sound is amazing. The song is well written, with clever and insightful lyrics.

But the vocal doesn't quite blend in, to my ear; it sounds like it's sitting on top of everything else. The esthetic feels different. Whereas the music is sophisticated and well produced, the voice sounds a little raucous and casual.

Maybe adjust the EQ, make the voice sound richer?  Cleaner? Bring it down just a tiny touch so it rides in the mix, instead of on it?

Great song, BTW.

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 10:43 PM, Barry Seymour said:

Hey Lynn!

I love the production here. The music is very slick, very polished, impeccably produced, it sounds like a cross between Toto and Pink Floyd. The swell before one of the verses was stunning, the guitar work is impeccable. And the overall sound is amazing. The song is well written, with clever and insightful lyrics.

But the vocal doesn't quite blend in, to my ear; it sounds like it's sitting on top of everything else. The esthetic feels different. Whereas the music is sophisticated and well produced, the voice sounds a little raucous and casual.

Maybe adjust the EQ, make the voice sound richer?  Cleaner? Bring it down just a tiny touch so it rides in the mix, instead of on it?

Great song, BTW.

Great write-up, Gary!  So good that it sent me back to the lab :)  I worked on the vocal using a mid/side technique to make the delays more legible, while slightly EQing them.   It may need more attention in the long run, but I think it's closer to the finish line.  My thanks to Markno 999 for a helpful hint.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 11:55 PM, bjornpdx said:

Love the production Lynn. It's a fun listen, so much going on in there.
IMO delay on a voc track can be very effective if used sparingly and not quite as much as you have here.
Other than that, a really catchy song, one of your best I think.
-Bjorn

Bjorn, thanks for giving this a spin.  I have made a few adjustments to the mix in regard to you and Barry.  Good ears!

On 9/15/2023 at 8:05 AM, mark skinner said:

Very Cool production Lynn.  I Really liked all of the unexpected twists and turns in this one . Very Creative !  

Enjoyed it ..   mark

Thanks, Mark, it's very encouraging to hear your words!

On 9/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn

Really like this - I think the production is great - I like things such as when that slightly off kilter synth comes in around 2 minutes - and great Guitar of course!

Cool stuff

Nigel

Nigel, your words mean a lot to me!  Thanks for your time and ears.  Keep up  your good work.

Hey Lynn, extremely cool track!! Very unique and interesting composition, in a good way! As always, musicianship is top notch, especially the guitar work. Bass collab is spot on as well. Only critique I have is same as has been said, vocal mixing may benefit from tweaking. IMO, delay effect is cool, I know the effect you are going for, but maybe a bit more selective and not on for the entire song. Don't know though, your call, it does add to the effect of "connecting dots". Great work my friend!!

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 1

Mix sounds great on my lappy speakers Lynn and I really like the way the song builds and the overall sonic palette and structure. Three listens in I do think that the delay effect would be more impactful if just used here and there rather than being all over it. Being picky (whilst keeping in mind that we're talking lappy speakers) the vox level could maybe be taken down a smidgen to sit more in than on but make of that what you will given the listening equipment. Great work overall though. It feels shorter than it actually is, so that has to be a good thing.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ross Smithe said:

Hey Lynn, extremely cool track!! Very unique and interesting composition, in a good way! As always, musicianship is top notch, especially the guitar work. Bass collab is spot on as well. Only critique I have is same as has been said, vocal mixing may benefit from tweaking. IMO, delay effect is cool, I know the effect you are going for, but maybe a bit more selective and not on for the entire song. Don't know though, your call, it does add to the effect of "connecting dots". Great work my friend!!

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Mix sounds great on my lappy speakers Lynn and I really like the way the song builds and the overall sonic palette and structure. Three listens in I do think that the delay effect would be more impactful if just used here and there rather than being all over it. Being picky (whilst keeping in mind that we're talking lappy speakers) the vox level could maybe be taken down a smidgen to sit more in than on but make of that what you will given the listening equipment. Great work overall though. It feels shorter than it actually is, so that has to be a good thing.

Gentlemen, thanks for your responses and time!  I'll be taking your ideas into consideration when I get back to the studio.  You're not alone in your take on the vox, so I will benefit from trying a new approach!  Stay tuned

• Lynn Wilson changed the title to Connecting The Dots - remix