OTS Summer Sale! (Group Buy)

cclarry

It's now at 1493, only 7 left to go. Although, I feel confident it's easily going to make it to 1,500, it's  still a good time to post about any Orange Tree Samples libraries you really love, to bring out those fence sitters.

I'll start. I love the Evolution Flatwound and Roundwound Bass libraries, but my go to bass library since it was introduced is Evolution Vintage Violin Bass,  a Hofner. The tone is gorgeous and it's a surprisingly versatile bass guitar. 

For electric guitar,  the Evolution Rock Standard library, a Gibson Les Paul, is my go to, but I use the full range of Evolution electric guitar libraries and commonly use two or three different Evolution electric guitar libraries in a project. 

For acoustic guitar I don't have a clear go to. I often vary between Songwriter,  Steel Strings and Old Relic. 

I love Acoustic Slide and come up with riffs every time I use it. It's really inspiring to me.  The Mandolin has a beautiful tone that I love using,  often along with acoustic guitar. 

The Famous E is easily the best quality electric piano library I own and is my first choice when I'm looking for a Rhodes. That said, I'm obsessed with the Wurly and would absolutely love a Wurlitzer electric piano sample library made at the same level of detail/quality. 

Disclosure: I've consulted to Orange Tree Samples and I am friends with Greg. But I'm a marketing and branding consultant,  not an influencer and I've never made agreements to post / shill for any developer. In fact, I've always made agreements that my posts are entirely independent of my consulting and I reserve the right to post critical comments.  

Still, my affiliation is a fair reason to be skeptical of my posts for bias. I've also consulted to more than two dozen other sample and plugin developers, including other developers that make guitar and bass libraries.  I pretty much avoid posting about them because I don't use those libraries as much and don't consider them as vital to my productions and I feel ethically obligated to post a disclosure and that can ruin a post. But I use Orange Tree Samples libraries in nearly every single project I have that have that is more than solo piano, so it's very different for me. I started out being a huge admirer of Greg Schlaepfer's work that ended up doing paid consulting. But in the beginning,  I was merely providing free advice because I wanted to see an innovator of guitar sample libraries, which I regularly use, succeed and do more. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

The OTS mandolin is the best one out there. It's a little too raspy for my taste (as if the action was too low) so I adjust the dynamics to not allow velocity over 50%. And the tremolo is tempo-locked (which is way too slow for slow tunes), but it otherwise sounds gorgeous. Very good for bluegrass/folk. Nice articulations. I haven't found anything else close (been waiting on you, Amplesound).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love their basses and guitars, especially the acoustic ones as I’m more into singer-songwriter territory, but I’m also patiently waiting for the Kontakt Player upgrade of their wonderful Rosewood Grand. Meanwhile, as for keys, that Famous E Rhodes is simply marvelous to play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

The OTS mandolin is the best one out there. It's a little too raspy for my taste (as if the action was too low) so I adjust the dynamics to not allow velocity over 50%. And the tremolo is tempo-locked (which is way too slow for slow tunes), but it otherwise sounds gorgeous. Very good for bluegrass/folk. Nice articulations. I haven't found anything else close (been waiting on you, Amplesound).

I remember talking with you before about Evolution Mandolin a while back, and I really appreciate your comments and feedback about it. It does have a more raspy, bright tone to it, which could be good if you need something to cut through the mix, but would probably sound too heavy handed for other situations.

I may have mentioned it already, but since then we sampled another mandolin (1920 Gibson A style) that sounds a lot mellower. The goal was to get that whispery soft pick attack when you play quietly, and focus on a gentler, warmer tone in general. I'll have to make a comparison video between both mandolins, because I was really surprised by how different they ended up sounding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1