Kontakt 7.4.0 update

asprog

It’s probably just my machine. I have some support requests in to NI (and they have been responding back which is nice).  It takes an abnormally long time for me to load Kontakt 7.  Didn’t happen before. Kontakt 6 opens instantly.  Again, maybe something particular to my machine and not a general problem for others.

It does cause me consternation.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, lawajava said:

It’s probably just my machine. I have some support requests in to NI (and they have been responding back which is nice).  It takes an abnormally long time for me to load Kontakt 7.  Didn’t happen before. Kontakt 6 opens instantly.  Again, maybe something particular to my machine and not a general problem for others.

NO, it is not your machine.  Others have posted about the loooong load times for Kontak7, but not nearly as many as I would have expected, so there are at least some of us.  Kontakt 7 (empty) takes at least 25 seconds to load for me, regardless of DAW.  Kontakt 6 loads in less than 2 seconds.  Subsequent loads of 7 after the first one are fast, so it must have something to do with the file parsing that doesn't happen from cache.   I followed some suggested changes like clearing out some XML files and excepting Kontakt folders from AV scans, but no improvement.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lawajava said:

Stand alone even Kontakt 6 was slow for me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lawajava said:

takes much longer on my (windows 10) system too.

18 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

NO, it is not your machine.  Others have posted about the loooong load times for Kontak7, but not nearly as many as I would have expected, so there are at least some of us.  Kontakt 7 (empty) takes at least 25 seconds to load for me, regardless of DAW.  Kontakt 6 loads in less than 2 seconds.  Subsequent loads of 7 after the first one are fast, so it must have something to do with the file parsing that doesn't happen from cache.   I followed some suggested changes like clearing out some XML files and excepting Kontakt folders from AV scans, but no improvement.

I think it's possible that it has something to do with windows defender - seems to spend a lot of time scanning when loading up and I see a lot of defender CPU usage.

And yes, always quicker on 2nd load (like v6) - again because defender has already scanned (I think)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, locrian said:

Does "Zoom Scaling" mean I can now use my mouse wheel to increase the GUI to any arbitray size?

looks like you can pick: 50 - 75 - 100 (etc) %  - it's not arbitrary and it's the entire GUI, you can't just zoom the instrument window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, simon said:

looks like you can pick: 50 - 75 - 100 (etc) %  - it's not arbitrary and it's the entire GUI, you can't just zoom the instrument window.

Well, at least they're making progress; albeit at a glacial pace.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, locrian said:

Well, at least they're making progress

Indeed, for me every update loads slower than the previous release.
At some point they won't have to bother updating because the previous release will still be trying to load.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

I couldn't get the 7.4 Kontakt update to show.  I was on 7.2 I think. Turns out I had to install a new version of Native Access, which revealed four other updates that weren't there before.  You would think it would know if itself needed to be updated?  Maybe this will fix the slow load issues....  Not hopeful based on how slow the installer is.

<edit>

It is somewhat faster loading now.  14 seconds (Windows 10).  After a reboot and disabling Microsoft AV and Malwarebytes the load time was 9 seconds, so there is about 30% of the load time attributable to the safeguards.  K6 is still nearly instant with all the protections on though.

Edited by Brian Lawler
  • Like 1