Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

12 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Many, many pages of comments here.  Can we ( I ) get a definitive word from management whether you will honor the perpetual license that I purchased before the Bandlab thing?  It would be shameful if it was not honored.

Thank you,

Steve

You’re joking right ?

J

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried to stay out of this, but I couldn't. Here's my suggestion to Bandlab, trying to be "fair" to all users and Bandlab as well:

If you purchased lifetime updates, the initial crossgrade to the New Sonar is free, but future upgrades are whatever Bandlab's upgrade policy will be.

If you purchased Sonar Platinum, or any of the "X" series, the initial crossgrade to the New Sonar is $50, with upgrades as above.

If you purchased any version of Sonar Producer from, say 5 - 8.5, the initial crossgrade to the New Sonar is $100, with upgrades as above.

Purchasing the New Sonar outright would be $200, with an option to pay in 12 monthly installments that would let you receive updates for the year and keep that version if you make all 12 payments.

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Mostly because making Sonar cross platform would require re-writing the whole thing.

Not necessarily re-writing the whole thing, as the SONAR Mac prototype from ~2016 proved, but there still would have needed to be a significant amount of work involved in order to have true parity between OS versions.

Next is being built from the ground up as a cross platform app. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, ptheisen said:

I tried to stay out of this, but I couldn't. Here's my suggestion to Bandlab, trying to be "fair" to all users and Bandlab as well:

If you purchased lifetime updates, the initial crossgrade to the New Sonar is free, but future upgrades are whatever Bandlab's upgrade policy will be.

If you purchased Sonar Platinum, or any of the "X" series, the initial crossgrade to the New Sonar is $50, with upgrades as above.

If you purchased any version of Sonar Producer from, say 5 - 8.5, the initial crossgrade to the New Sonar is $100, with upgrades as above.

Purchasing the New Sonar outright would be $200, with an option to pay in 12 monthly installments that would let you receive updates for the year and keep that version if you make all 12 payments.

Sorry, but this only has the illusion of fairness. I think its absurd for consumers to be telling a vendor what pricing schedule they should set. Likewise, I think all of the whining by people who feel they were cheated by Gibson and should be compensated for that by Bandlab is pure selfishness.

• Let's say person A was new to Cakewalk/SONAR and purchased SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates) for $500 to Gibson. 
  • Let's say person B was a loyal customer who bought their first Cakewalk/SONAR product for $300 from Twelve Tone Systems or Roland and thereafter paid $100 for each of 5 years for product add-ons and/or "updates" that were included in SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates).
  • Let's say both person A and person B got the free version of Cakewalk by Bandlab along with five years of free updates.

Why should someone who paid $500 get a better offer than someone who paid $800?

BTW, I do not have the price schedules from over the years, but I believe it is entirely possible that a long-term user like person B might have paid well over $1,000 while someone who just bought the Gibson product would have paid half of that.  I do not have all my receipts, but I can tell you that my invoice for the SONAR 5 PE upgrade was $179 (plus shipping).

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Absolutely not.  I come from a background of Customer Service.  Perhaps that is not important with the kids today.

Dear Jesus! How many times does it have to be explained to you whiners that:

1) "Lifetime updates" means the lifetime of the product (or the company.) Not your lifetime.

2) The company that made the "lifetime updates" offer DOESN'T EXIST ANY MORE.  It was dissolved in 2017. Therefore there is no one around to honor it.

3) BandLab did not buy Cakewalk, inc. There was no  Cakewalk, inc. to buy (see 2 above.) They only bought the intellectual property. Yet they still gave you 5 years of continued improvement and development FOR FREE even though they were under no obligation to do so.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I knew I should have stayed out of it. 🤨 But gosh, everyone else was expressing their opinions, why can't I? I've used Cakewalk since Pro Audio 5 and easily spent more than $1000 dollars on the DAW alone.

As I said, it was just a suggestion, trying to keeping things simple, and basing it on what is perhaps likely to have been common experience for various users. It is also similar to how some other companies do things.

I'd say the examples you gave are somewhat less likely, chosen to make your point. But they are certainly possible and I understand your point.

So you are probably right, the "fairest" way would be to have everyone provide all of their receipts and the cost scale would be based on those totals.

I've learned my lesson, I won't be contributing to this controversial thread again.

28 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I think all of the whining by people who feel they were cheated by Gibson and should be compensated for that by Bandlab is pure selfishness.

I agree.

Between Cakewalk for DOS and SPlat lifetime, I bought at least a dozen top tier versions of Cakewalk software. The cost was waaay over $1000. I believe that I got every penny of my money's worth.

My only gripe is this big tease. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Dear Jesus! How many times does it have to be explained to you whiners that:

1) "Lifetime updates" means the lifetime of the product (or the company.) Not your lifetime.

2) The company that made the "lifetime updates" offer DOESN'T EXIST ANY MORE.  It was dissolved in 2017. Therefore there is no one around to honor it.

3) BandLab did not buy Cakewalk, inc. There was no  Cakewalk, inc. to buy (see 2 above.) They only bought the intellectual property. Yet they still gave you 5 years of continued improvement and development FOR FREE even though they were under no obligation to do so.

It was called perpetual.  Perhaps you might look that up.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

37 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

It was called perpetual.  Perhaps you might look that up.

When I researched the product, I must have missed that word.  I will look again, but in the meantime I looked up "what is a perpetual license?" Here are just a few quotations I found.

In the perpetual license model, customers pay a one-time fee for the software. They are essentially purchasing the software as opposed to renting it.

Although perpetual licenses may be used forever on a particular version (or on the last version before you discontinue renewing the support contract), they have a short lifecycle and within few years eventually become obsolete, due to factors such as supported hardware and companion software.

A perpetual license is more expensive upfront, but it gives you clear ownership and is cost-effective in the long run. A subscription license is more economical on a regular basis and comes with updates and support. However, it does not give you ownership of the software.

So, what is a perpetual license? Essentially, a perpetual license is the term used to describe the traditional method of purchasing software – you pay for the license upfront, and you have the right to use the software indefinitely.

Obviously, there is a lot of info online including some lengthy user agreements for perpetual licenses.  Evidently the terms vary from company to company.

Some definitions say that a perpetual license involves a one time fee for the license v. making payments over time (renting, subscription, etc.).

I do not know the terms of the Gibson license for SONAR Platinum (with lifetime Updates).  Can you continue to use it for the rest of your life? If so, that would seem to quality as a perpetual license under the terms of some of what I found on line.

I can still use Sonar 8.5, X1, and X3 even though they have been discontinued.  (Those are the only ones I checked recently.  I might be able to use others as well.)  However, as far as I know there was never a rental option.  They still work in 2023, but I prefer to use Cakewalk by Bandlab.  If I cannot afford the upcoming Bandlab products, I have a  number of options.

Peace.   

• Like 3