Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just reading through all this - as a very basic user I don't understand most of it but what has really made an impact is the responsiveness of the development team to people's comments and issues. Customer service at its best I reckon. I'll probably wait until the issues mentioned are ironed out in the next release / hotfix as I don't even know what the functions referred to are. I'm just happy to be know that the team are on it!¬†ūüôā¬†¬†

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, DCMG said:

Nice update so far. Love having the timeline range draggable...very helpful.

Question regarding Comping Tool Behavior:

Prior:

Take Lanes- I would split phrases, click a phrase; playback would adhere to that clip range and LOOP as I selected (auditioned) alternate clips. Very easy to just jump around and have the playhead always jump back to the clip boundry... This was my preferred way to quickly audition lots of takes; I selected, CW did the looping of phrase automagically.

Now: I can select the clips within Take Lanes but playback continues forward and does not loop. Totally kills that ultrafast workflow. Any preference I can adjust/untick to go back to prior behavior?

Thanks!!

@DCMG the single click auto previewing a clip shortcut was way too specific a shortcut to be the default behavior. For example you might want to isolate a clip ahead of time while you are playing and the time jumping would be very unexpected in that workflow. Or you may want to click to jump to a position within a clip in which case automatically jumping to the beginning of a long clip would be very inconvenient.

As part of the unification and streamlining of seeking and playback workflow we changed that function to require the shift modifier key.  
SHIFT clicking a clip in a take lane will do what you want and jump to the start of the clip so there is no loss of functionality. Or use the speed comping shift spacebar workflow that Jon mentioned.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, majorhon said:

 

Im sorry, I don't think so.   I think that is the most stupid move in this update. I can't  use my mouse to make a position to ZOOM in/out and edit my clips while playback.

that  slow me down 50% in workflow at least.

 

 

**Update: I found the hotfix ,  that is so great ! THX!

@majorhon It was a change to facilitate editing and auditioning at the clip level which is a very common workflow esp for someone trying to align audio peaks to something else. It was not an unwarranted change.

Additionally besides the new feature we added to the click behavior configuration, you can also shift or ctrl click and it will not set the now time while playing.

>>I can't  use my mouse to make a position to ZOOM in/out and edit my clips while playback.

Can you clarify what what you mean by "use my mouse to make a position". Are you talking about lasso selection? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

 

@DCMG the single click auto previewing a clip shortcut was way too specific a shortcut to be the default behavior. For example you might want to isolate a clip ahead of time while you are playing and the time jumping would be very unexpected in that workflow. Or you may want to click to jump to a position within a clip in which case automatically jumping to the beginning of a long clip would be very inconvenient.

As part of the unification and streamlining of seeking and playback workflow we changed that function to require the shift modifier key.  
SHIFT clicking a clip in a take lane will do what you want and jump to the start of the clip so there is no loss of functionality. Or use the speed comping shift spacebar workflow that Jon mentioned.

Thanks Noel. Obviously I was doing a modified version of the Speed Comping process with some manual clip selection.  That said, shift+click to do same is probably a fair compromise if it allows free time selection in the process ( like your examples above..I can see how that could be helpful). 

BTW..just reading the list of take lane/comping fixes/enhancements...you guys have been busy. I suspect I will find all sorts of cool improvements. Thanks!!

 

Edited by DCMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like after the hotfix, clicking during playback in the bus area still sets the now time - the "set during playback" option only changes the behavior of the track area. Not sure what the intended behavior is now but I think the bus and track areas were both safe before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Delta value error

Not sure if this happens just after the last hotfix, but...

In a project with tempo changes, the time (H:M:S:F) calculation of the difference between the selection start and end markers is wrong after the first tempo change on.
In the example below you can see the start marker at 7:30:14, and the end marker at 8:30:14, which should result in a delta value of 1:00:00. But nevertheless, Cakewalk is calculating a difference of 1:50:12 (H:M:S:F).

0m602Q7.jpg
(click twice on the image to enlarge)

- Also, it seems that the calculation gets worst after every new tempo change.
- The same error seems to happen for the other time formats of the ruler (Millisecond and Samples) but M:B:T, on which it seems to calculate the delta value right.

Edited by Mariano Germ√°n Flores

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mariano Germ√°n Flores said:

Delta value error

Not sure if this happens just after the last hotfix, but...

In a project with tempo changes, the time (H:M:S:F) calculation of the difference between the selection start and end markers is wrong after the first tempo change on.
In the example below you can see the start marker at 7:30:14, and the end marker at 8:30:14, which should result in a delta value of 1:00:00. But nevertheless, Cakewalk is calculating a difference of 1:50:12 (H:M:S:F).

0m602Q7.jpg

- Also, it seems that the calculation gets worst after every new tempo change.
- The same error seems to happen for the other time formats of the ruler (Millisecond and Samples) but M:B:T, on which it seems to calculate the delta value right.

Hi Mariano,

This issue is not new to the 2019.07 update, but is logged on our end. Thanks!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, btbrock said:

It looks like after the hotfix, clicking during playback in the bus area still sets the now time - the "set during playback" option only changes the behavior of the track area. Not sure what the intended behavior is now but I think the bus and track areas were both safe before.

We fixed this thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mariano Germ√°n Flores said:

Delta value error

Not sure if this happens just after the last hotfix, but...

In a project with tempo changes, the time (H:M:S:F) calculation of the difference between the selection start and end markers is wrong after the first tempo change on.
In the example below you can see the start marker at 7:30:14, and the end marker at 8:30:14, which should result in a delta value of 1:00:00. But nevertheless, Cakewalk is calculating a difference of 1:50:12 (H:M:S:F).

0m602Q7.jpg
(click twice on the image to enlarge)

- Also, it seems that the calculation gets worst after every new tempo change.
- The same error seems to happen for the other time formats of the ruler (Millisecond and Samples) but M:B:T, on which it seems to calculate the delta value right.

OK this is fixed too. Thanks for reporting it.

Alright, no more bugs!!! We're shipping it now ūüėõ

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to understand the comp changes.  I honestly haven't been super involved in the comping since layers went away (long ago).  I actually looked at this update specifically because of the changes here with the intention of creating a quick screencast video.  But in my noodling around with things, I can't see how "assembling takes" differs from previous methods, and therefore couldn't create any kind of tutorial, as I couldn't really tell what was happening that was any different from before.  I looked at the doc updates and still don't understand.

Any guidance here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried out 2019.07 today and the 2nd song I tried to open, which I did by double clicking on the CWP file, I got a freeze - with "not responding" at the top of CbB. I closed it and was able to open it the 2nd time. 

Then later I attempted to create a new song and after putting in the info in the window it again crashed while trying to open the new file. Same thing "not responding" this time I had to leave and come back 5 min later - still frozen. I closed it and this time I tried to open CbB 2019.05 and it wouldn't open, I had to reboot the computer. 

I won't be trying 2019.07 until this is fixed or if someone wants me to test something. I've saved many versions of CbB, so I can easily try different versions. 2019.05 has been rock solid for me.

I've used CbB since the 1st version and have never gotten this behavior with these crashes upon opening a file. I noticed the there were 2 references in the bug fixes for this sort of crash at startup, possibly that fix broke something for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was addressed in the early access release of the hotfix. Did you not install it?

The final release is now available as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This was addressed in the early access release of the hotfix. Did you not install it?

The final release is now available as well.

 I updated a few days ago, and it says build 70. I see now there is a new update and I just installed it. It's s build 79. Do you think that fixed the problem?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blades said:

Trying to understand the comp changes.  I honestly haven't been super involved in the comping since layers went away (long ago).  I actually looked at this update specifically because of the changes here with the intention of creating a quick screencast video.  But in my noodling around with things, I can't see how "assembling takes" differs from previous methods, and therefore couldn't create any kind of tutorial, as I couldn't really tell what was happening that was any different from before.  I looked at the doc updates and still don't understand.

Any guidance here?

Blades, I use comping all the time. Great feature. But I do know that you and others have expressed a desire for a more 'Layer' workflow. To be honest, it's been so long since I messed with Layers I really have no idea what it use to be like.

That said, there were times that I wished I could work on clips in Take Lanes the way I could on a regular trk. And from what I can tell, that's exactly what I can do now, work on clips in take lanes just like it's a regular trk! It's really the best of both worlds in my opinion. : )

What I do is record all my takes that I want. Then after I can comp straight away, or go to the new Smart Tool Options and turn off the Comp Tool and work them takes just like they were on a regular trk. Split, copy, paste, stretch, group, drag copy, drag multiple clips, drag copy multiple clips, drag copy multiple clips to new project, and on and on! I love it!

This is the best I have seen this. Ever since this came out I have been working with it and am really satisfied with the results. This is a keeper for sure.

I hope this has given you some guidance. If you need more info I will try to help as best I can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Grem said:

Blades, I use comping all the time. Great feature. But I do know that you and others have expressed a desire for a more 'Layer' workflow. To be honest, it's been so long since I messed with Layers I really have no idea what it use to be like.

That said, there were times that I wished I could work on clips in Take Lanes the way I could on a regular trk. And from what I can tell, that's exactly what I can do now, work on clips in take lanes just like it's a regular trk! It's really the best of both worlds in my opinion. : )

What I do is record all my takes that I want. Then after I can comp straight away, or go to the new Smart Tool Options and turn off the Comp Tool and work them takes just like they were on a regular trk. Split, copy, paste, stretch, group, drag copy, drag multiple clips, drag copy multiple clips, drag copy multiple clips to new project, and on and on! I love it!

This is the best I have seen this. Ever since this came out I have been working with it and am really satisfied with the results. This is a keeper for sure.

I hope this has given you some guidance. If you need more info I will try to help as best I can.

I love the fact I can do all my lane edits with more confidence, especially now the comping can be turned off for the smart tool, so I don't comp by accident.

My guitar playing has really gone south due to lack of practice, so I'm finding myself recording things in phrases much more often than I used to. Being able to build a track up with each phrase (or multiple takes of a phrase) in different lanes is fantastic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gmp said:

 I updated a few days ago, and it says build 70. I see now there is a new update and I just installed it. It's s build 79. Do you think that fixed the problem?  

Build 70 was the original public release. Did you not see the hotfix thread? We fixed that over a week ago and had a build for everyone who had the problem to try.

It's definitely fixed in the final 2019.07 release build 79

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Build 70 was the original public release. Did you not see the hotfix thread? We fixed that over a week ago and had a build for everyone who had the problem to try.

It's definitely fixed in the final 2019.07 release build 79

 Now I see. I saw this post originally last Friday, but only got into page 1 or the 4 pages. I need to be visiting the forum more often. Now that you have this new system of having a post like this, I will and also be sure to read the whole 4 page post. 

I see you posted last Wednesday of the hot-fix and now I understand why Bandlab assistant didn't install the hot-fix, because it wasn't released publicly yet. I installed Saturday night and it was build 70, but I didn't try it out until Monday. I always use "open only 1 project at a time" so I see I was one of the affected ones with this bug.

Thanks for all your great work, Noel - you're the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I love the fact I can do all my lane edits with more confidence, especially now the comping can be turned off for the smart tool, so I don't comp by accident.

Ditto.   I tend to "arrange" a bit more than I comp, so the ability to freely select and edit away is fantastic.   It just feels better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

unification and streamlining of seeking and playback workflow

This is the kind of stuff I like to see.

Yes, there is a plan and it reads like a good one for us users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess what I want to know on the lanes is "can one lane of audio overlap another and have both heard" just like separate tracks or are overlapping regions still treated as "one or the other plays"?

Not a big deal really either way, just trying to understand what is different than just the comping was.

I can hardly remember why I cared that much about layers vs tracks in folders anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...