2019.07 Feedback

Jesse Jost

9 minutes ago, Blogospherianman said:

I like to make a new track and name it, then bounce to track to the track I just created. Then I archive and hide the original.  Skips the step of having to unfreeze. (Unfreeze will sometimes flip the phase button out of phase)

Click the top half of a clip in a take  lane and press K to unmute it.  You can have as many lanes playing as you like.

I do wish layers were still available after freezing like back in the X1 days so I could freeze and then still edit with the lanes without having to bounce to track or drag copy.

Its intentional that freezing renders all lanes to a single clip. The main point of freeze is to save resources and free up CPU.
If you want to continue editing why do need to freeze?

36 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I have seen this with my RME device - which audio interface are you using? 
I havent had the time to investigate further but essentially after a suspend and resume of the system the audio interface driver is getting into a start where starting is causing this long delay. Restarting cakewalk which reloads the driver seems to fix it. There may be a workaround we can do but I haven't investigated it yet.

I have seen this happens in prior Cakewalk versions btw. Its not new to this release.

I have a MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card with the latest drivers and firmware. I can't remember having this long delay with 2019.05 or 2019.03 or maybe even since CbB. And in the past when something like this happened it was an anomaly and never required a reboot. I"ll see if this happens again. I hope it's a one off, but will keep you informed.

One clue is whenever I take a break for maybe 5 min or longer and come back to the computer, I always see the audio dropout message at the right bottom of the screen. When this happens the focus is no longer on CbB and I have to click the topmost part of CbB to bring the focus back. I can also be playing my soft synth midi piano and every few minutes I lose the piano and many times see the audio dropout screen. Again I have to bring the focus back to CbB.

I wonder if this audio dropout problem could have contributed to this "not responding" problem I noted in my post, making me more susceptible to this than other users.

20 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Say I’ve frozen a virtual synth down and  l need to adjust some timing in a certain place and don’t really need or want to reload the synth just to snip and slide a few notes.

Also say if I’ve Auto tuned in graphical mode by hand and freeze that track. Auto tune can get squirrelly when jumping around the timeline so it makes sense to apply the tuning.  nowadays I’ll bounce it to a new track and archive the tuning track which I may revisit to tune a phrase harder or softer or fix something that didn’t work good.  I always do tuning first and then Timing adjustments.  In the Old days I’d just clone the track before freezing and archive (for revisiting purposes, then freeze the original and add more layers and get to slicing and sliding for timing adjustments.  I’ve adjusted my workflow to more of a bounce to track flow, but there’s many a time I have a frozen track I wish I had layers to accommodate further editing.

I edit plenty before freezing or bouncing but there’s always more editing to do.  Sometimes you don’t wanna load the entire vSL string section back in MIR in their on stage positions just to adjust a timing thing. I typically will edit the midi at the same time if I make a timing adjustment so if I do need to rebounce I have the midi corrected as well.

Or I bounced the drums and now I wanna steal a cymbal crash and place it in a new layer to Reverse and lead up to a moment.

You get the idea.  It was very annoying when I switched to Cakewalk from the X series.  I have since altered my workflow and it’s only a minor inconvenience.  We had more freedom before though.

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I too tend to freeze the synths as I close the recording phase and start mixing in place, it's quick and convinient, I've found out that I can throw in effects and bounce the frozen tracks many times if needed. Brilliant. If there was a way to go back to these edits after short synth unfreeze (for example you want to change just one note or measure in the original recording) then maybe that could be the solution.

For 2019.07 Build 79, when I right click over a track in the track pane, the arrow that pops up for making a selection in the context menu is the timeline zoom arrow with the magnifying glass. I don't think that's intentional. I haven't yet had any unexpected arrow icons pop up anywhere else.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag9MrIdQMNIZn3K5Bc-hty7hBEOT?e=h1C2Tz

Edited by Twisted Fingers
Additional information

16 minutes ago, Twisted Fingers said:

For 2019.07 Build 79, when I right click over a track in the track pane, the arrow that pops up for making a selection in the context menu is the timeline zoom arrow with the magnifying glass. I don't think that's intentional. I haven't yet had any unexpected arrow icons pop up anywhere else.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag9MrIdQMNIZn3K5Bc-hty7hBEOT?e=h1C2Tz

That doesnt happen always but I've seen it once. Do you have a recipe?

12 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That doesnt happen always but I've seen it once. Do you have a recipe?

Not really. This a new project. Started with the empty project template, added a single track, copied six clips (events no markers), right clicked in the empty track clip, Edit > Paste Special starting at track 2 at 1:01:000. Then deleted the empty track 1 and metronome bus. That's when I saw the zoom pointer. I did all that in the last hour. So my memory is pretty fresh.

It repeats. It still pops up. I can send you the project. If you need the audio tracks, just need you to delete them when you're done troubleshooting.

I think there is a small bug when using "view undo" when first opening a project. After opening a project (can be a single audio track) saved so that the now time is far enough along that time=0 is not visible, hold Z down and zoom in using the mouse, then use Alt-Z to undo this zoom. The view rewinds to show time=0 rather than the original view (although the now time is not moved).  This happens immediately after opening the file. Performing some edits will sometimes restore the correct behaviour, and sometimes not. I haven't managed to pin down which edits fix the problem.

Cheers, Peter.

p.s. This is new behaviour for 2019.07

Edited by PeterMc
Additional info