AudioDeluxe 12th Anniversary Sale

BTP

3 minutes ago, Lionel said:

Anyone used the Tokyo Dawn Labs stuff?  Any good?

Yes, they are well respected and make excellent stuff.  I think if they updated the UI look you would see them get a little more attention.

Sonically they all punch above the price point.  Also note they tend to have some stripped down versions you can get for free which gives a good taste of the sonic quality and if you will bond with the looks/interface.  The UI is rather utilitarian but can also tend to be on the boring side of things visually 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yes, they are well respected and make excellent stuff.  I think if they updated the UI look you would see them get a little more attention.

Sonically they all punch above the price point.  Also note they tend to have some stripped down versions you can get for free which gives a good taste of the sonic quality and if you will bond with the looks/interface.  The UI is rather utilitarian but can also tend to be on the boring side of things visually 

Thanks for that info.  I’m probably going to get the limiter

16 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Digital V3 does not have a panner function inside, so it isn't capable of the same function.

Yes it does. It has an entire panning section in the center of the plugin that can pan globally or left / right separately, or mid-side separately. Testing it - if the mono-maker is set to a crossover of, for example, 1khz, then the panning of either left / right is not affected below this 1khz threshold (depending on how you set up the panning section). Comparing this to the Boz plugin, I can get exactly the same result, but can also go further as I have more control over the stereo field, as well as splitting mid-side if I want. Also - once my panning choices are made, I have EQ control over both the mono & stereo field individually, which makes it far more powerful.

Pro-Q 3 also gives me this exact same control, with addition of dynamic EQ - although it takes longer to get the same result. Actually, Digital V3 also has dynamics control in addition to pre/post switching.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Yes it does. It has an entire panning section in the center of the plugin that can pan globally or left / right separately, or mid-side separately. Testing it - if the mono-maker is set to a crossover of, for example, 1khz, then the panning of either left / right is not affected below this 1khz threshold (depending on how you set up the panning section). Comparing this to the Boz plugin, I can get exactly the same result, but can also go further as I have more control over the stereo field, as well as splitting mid-side if I want. Also - once my panning choices are made, I have EQ control over both the mono & stereo field individually, which makes it far more powerful.

Pro-Q 3 also gives me this exact same control, with addition of dynamic EQ - although it takes longer to get the same result. Actually, Digital V3 also has dynamics control in addition to pre/post switching.

Boz also has the delay function which adds something interesting. I haven't seen that in other plugins that I've noticed. You can toggle between volume, volume and delay, or just delay with the green / yellow / red squares to the left of the pan knob. 

1 hour ago, Carl Ewing said:

Ahh you are correct.  While I'm a fan of the digital v3 as an eq plugin.  Forgot about the tiny pan knob.

I'd argue it is a whole lot clunkier to use when you are working on a mix for placement and takes up more CPU.  

If this is the EQ you use on every track and you don't put anything that inadvertently puts more stereo info after it, it is an alternative and also usually more expensive unless you got it for free or part of the soundwide bundle .

The point isn't that the pan knob is the only plugin capable of the technique.  It seems to be the only one clean and purpose driven for it.  You could pin 20 of them on your screen and actually create the stereo mix.  Digital V3 you might be able to do a folk duo mix.

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Ahh you are correct.  While I'm a fan of the digital v3 as an eq plugin.  Forgot about the tiny pan knob.

I'd argue it is a whole lot clunkier to use when you are working on a mix for placement and takes up more CPU.  

If this is the EQ you use on every track and you don't put anything that inadvertently puts more stereo info after it, it is an alternative and also usually more expensive unless you got it for free or part of the soundwide bundle .

The point isn't that the pan knob is the only plugin capable of the technique.  It seems to be the only one clean and purpose driven for it.  You could pin 20 of them on your screen and actually create the stereo mix.  Digital V3 you might be able to do a folk duo mix.

Okay. I'll buy it damnit! Haha.

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2022 at 3:38 AM, mibby said:

I was looking at Precision Align, but MAutoAlign does time alignment and spectral alignment and works great.  It is probably my single most used Melda plugin. Align drums, guitar/bass Di/cabs, I even use it to align my kick/bass. I got yelled at by the developer because you're not supposed to, but it actually works sometimes!  🤪   What I really like about this one is how easy it is to use.  After you have it set up on your tracks and grouped (mine is in my template), you simply analyze the tracks, toggle the bypass a  few times to see if it's better, then move on... It's an awesome plugin!

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAutoAlign

MAutoAlign is great. I refuse to use Waves plugins anymore, so I no longer use (or even install) InPhase. Here are two videos that show the benefits of phase alignment. The first uses InPhase, the second MAutoAlign. I'm sure there are other videos, but I'm a bass player, so these "spoke" to me.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Okay. I'll buy it damnit! Haha.

Don't let me convince you it is needed.  Make sure it works for your workflow.  

I still think the thing is annoying in the sense that this shouldn't be a plugin but built into the DAW itself.  We should all be requesting it on a Cakewalk roadmap for example.  Mixing by opening plugins (levels or panning) is super annoying.  

• Like 3

On 10/12/2022 at 10:06 AM, Lionel said:

Anyone used the Tokyo Dawn Labs stuff?  Any good?

They're practically all great. I still think Nova sounds better than Fabfilter ProQ3. Not the sort of thimg to use on all tracks unless you've got a beefy CPU, so ProQ3 still has it's place, but there guys punch well above their price.

The only one that hasn't instantly grabbed me yet is Molotok. The rest I love and just picked up SlickEQ as well. Another great sounding EQ with some nice saturation.

They can be reasonably complex for some of them and even require the manual at times 🤣

22 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Thanks Brian, this turned into quite the interesting thread about panning! I get a lot of those points and sometimes something light on CPU and purpose built is worth it for the workflow, even if it can be done with existing tools, especially if it's only $12!

I'm going to demo this one too.

18 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

Thanks Brian, this turned into quite the interesting thread about panning! I get a lot of those points and sometimes something light on CPU and purpose built is worth it for the workflow, even if it can be done with existing tools, especially if it's only $12!

I'm going to demo this one too.

Indeed, that is the reason I bought for example DMG Audio Tracklimit. The amount of limiters I have is limitless (pun intended), but workflow and CPU is important. Does it do something I can't achieve with another limiter? No. Does it have the same bazilion functions other limiters have? No. But it sounds great, is very light, very easy to set up and is very much purpose built.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

Indeed, that is the reason I bought for example DMG Audio Tracklimit. The amount of limiters I have is limitless (pun intended), but workflow and CPU is important. Does it do something I can't achieve with another limiter? No. Does it have the same bazilion functions other limiters have? No. But it sounds great, is very light, very easy to set up and is very much purpose built.

Interesting example.. I actually came very close to saying the exact same thing about that limiter in my reply!!

I can't give DMG points for creativity with the product name, but as a track limiter it's an excellent choice! 🤣

Works well for busses too and like you mentioned Nick, light on CPU, quick to dial in and sounds good too.

• Like 1