AudioDeluxe 12th Anniversary Sale

BTP

5 hours ago, mibby said:

... I even use it to align my kick/bass. I got yelled at by the developer because you're not supposed to, but it actually works sometimes!...

This is the whole reason I bought it a while ago. Quick automatic phase alignment of kick/sub. Saves me the trouble of analyzing the whole thing with an oscilloscope and aligning them manually. Great tool.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MusicMan said:

How does this one rate to some of the other main contenders for limiters? I'm not sure I've ever tried it.

I paid $29 for it or so a long time ago.  I personally don't care for it based on other things I have.  

Good interface (though not resizable) and good features on paper.  But never became a tool I used.

Haven't checked CPU usage.

I own most of boz's plugins.  This one of the few that I should have passed on.  

But this is all time low territory so give it a demo if you don't have a collection of limiters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I paid $29 for it or so a long time ago.  I personally don't care for it based on other things I have.  

Good interface (though not resizable) and good features on paper.  But never became a tool I used.

Haven't checked CPU usage.

I own most of boz's plugins.  This one of the few that I should have passed on.  

But this is all time low territory so give it a demo if you don't have a collection of limiters.

Thanks Brian and that's the only thing that is holding me back. I'm just not sure it adds something. I do find that it's good having a few limiters, as some definitely work better than others on different source material. But I do have a selection and many of them have deeper controls.

It's a crazy good price though. I would even be considering it at $29, purely based on what I already have and like. I am giving it a demo though 🤣

I saw you rated the Boz planner. I've always skimmed over that, but in giving it a read it sounds quite interesting.

Eventide H9 Series Plugin Bundle pretty good deal. $18 per plugin.

I been looking around at that. I think I might be getting those tracktion things. I am a sucker for faty moogs and a consistent interface to the sounds where I don't need to re-learn where what is that I need to tweak.

Edited by telecode 101

53 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

Thanks Brian and that's the only thing that is holding me back. I'm just not sure it adds something. I do find that it's good having a few limiters, as some definitely work better than others on different source material. But I do have a selection and many of them have deeper controls.

It's a crazy good price though. I would even be considering it at $29, purely based on what I already have and like. I am giving it a demo though 🤣

I saw you rated the Boz planner. I've always skimmed over that, but in giving it a read it sounds quite interesting.

I'm contrary to Brian's review. I quite like Boz's The Wall and it has been on my template for years as my final limiter. It's just so easy to use, has a great UI, and has oversampling, etc.  I have started exploring others, but when I want something quick and easy AND a known good, it The Wall for me.  ;)

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

As for Panner - As someone that mixes both on speakers and headphones.  I can't imagine mixing on headphones without it anymore.  Used on every single stereo mix.  

It isn't like things like room simulaiton where the use is to test and make sure it translates.  It serves an actual mixing function to make the panning sound more natural and is left on for the actual project output.  I literally think Cakewalk and all other DAWs need to build in this panning function into the DAW workflow itself (basically as an option to swith on or off)

I agree with having a few limiters for sure as I don't use one limiter for everything.  But this one just didn't get any use from me and I've had it for years.

Pan Knob =  total must have if you create music for headphone consumption, IMO.  

As for Panner - As someone that mixes both on speakers and headphones.  I can't imagine mixing on headphones without it anymore.  Used on every single stereo mix.  

It isn't like things like room simulaiton where the use is to test and make sure it translates.  It serves an actual mixing function to make the panning sound more natural and is left on for the actual project output.  I literally think Cakewalk and all other DAWs need to build in this panning function into the DAW workflow itself (basically as an option to swith on or off)

I agree with having a few limiters for sure as I don't use one limiter for everything.  But this one just didn't get any use from me and I've had it for years.

Pan Knob =  total must have if you create music for headphone consumption, IMO.  

Wouldn't any stereo EQ with mono-maker frequency adjustment do the same thing? Like Brainworx Digital V3? Or Pro Q 3?  I don't see how this is special. Everything I'm seeing in the Youtube demos can be done with Pro Q 3. No?

Actually, messing with Brainworx Pan EQ it seems you get much more interesting results, as it's 3-bands. Although it lacks a mono-maker setting unfortunately.

Maybe I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, Carl Ewing said:

Wouldn't any stereo EQ with mono-maker frequency adjustment do the same thing? Like Brainworx Digital V3? Or Pro Q 3?  I don't see how this is special. Everything I'm seeing in the Youtube demos can be done with Pro Q 3. No?

Actually, messing with Brainworx Pan EQ it seems you get much more interesting results, as it's 3-bands. Although it lacks a mono-maker setting unfortunately.

I also dont get the appeal. Can't you use MixBox auto-pan and LFO modulate the EQ?

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixbox/index.php?p=fx

Most DAWs have the built in panning function as post effects rack.  So doing a "mono" on the bass still ends up panning everything.

Putting Boz as the last in the chain (and NOT using the DAW panner means you can actually mono below a certain freq and then pan above.

Digital V3 does not have a panner function inside, so it isn't capable of the same function.

ProQ3 - don't quote me on this - I think it could technically do it, but it isn't exactly a good layout compared to a L-R-C knob.  And I'm guessing it is a bit resource intensive given the capabilites of the plugin.

PanEQ I'm aware of but haven't used it yet.  I was always under the impression that as the name implies has a focus on actually making EQ adjustments within the spectrum of LR and that you certainty don't want to have "humps" of eq when the only goal is pan LR.  Maybe it can do it without that, but again the interface isn't optimized for the task that is for sure.  

Boz also have Mongoose that "monos the bass" but without a pan function, that doesn't really do the same thing.

10 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I also dont get the appeal. Can't you use MixBox auto-pan and LFO modulate the EQ?

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixbox/index.php?p=fx

I have mix box, and the auto-pan function doesn't do the same thing nor would I try to make it do the same thing with manipulation of other parameters, which I don't think is possible as far as I know.

If curious, I'd suggest running a demo on an existing project.  Reset all your pan knobs to center.  Put this plugin as last in the chain and then pan your mix with that.  

Wearing Headphones.  The difference with what this does compared to traditional panning options while listening on headphones is significant.  You just have to experience it.  

If you only listen on speakers for playback, it isn't really going to matter all that much.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I have mix box, and the auto-pan function doesn't do the same thing nor would I try to make it do the same thing with manipulation of other parameters, which I don't think is possible as far as I know.

If curious, I'd suggest running a demo on an existing project.  Reset all your pan knobs to center.  Put this plugin as last in the chain and then pan your mix with that.  

Wearing Headphones.  The difference with what this does compared to traditional panning options while listening on headphones is significant.  You just have to experience it.  

If you only listen on speakers for playback, it isn't really going to matter all that much.

30 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Most DAWs have the built in panning function as post effects rack.  So doing a "mono" on the bass still ends up panning everything.

Putting Boz as the last in the chain (and NOT using the DAW panner means you can actually mono below a certain freq and then pan above.

Digital V3 does not have a panner function inside, so it isn't capable of the same function.

ProQ3 - don't quote me on this - I think it could technically do it, but it isn't exactly a good layout compared to a L-R-C knob.  And I'm guessing it is a bit resource intensive given the capabilites of the plugin.

PanEQ I'm aware of but haven't used it yet.  I was always under the impression that as the name implies has a focus on actually making EQ adjustments within the spectrum of LR and that you certainty don't want to have "humps" of eq when the only goal is pan LR.  Maybe it can do it without that, but again the interface isn't optimized for the task that is for sure.  

Boz also have Mongoose that "monos the bass" but without a pan function, that doesn't really do the same thing.

Good info. Just curious for what sorts of music genre is this for?

AD seem to have added more stuff.

Edited by telecode 101

I think bx_stereomaker have a similar functionality, with mono-maker and a Tilt knob for some panning and with stereo expansion thrown in for a good measure.

19 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Good info. Just curious for what sorts of music genre is this for?

AD seem to have added more stuff.

The concept is genre neutral.

When you pan an instrument left or right (to any degree) using a normal panning knob in a daw the way it places it in the stereo specturm is unnatural in headphones.  it is very much "all sound is coming from that direction" once you use PanKnob it can keep some low frequeny content "in mono" in the middle and pan frequencies above that range left or right.

If you mix rock, jazz, funk, pop, trying to give some natural instruments in a space feel it excels at helping that.  But same concept for any genre even without traditional instruments.

You don't really realize how wrong panning knobs can sound until you try it.  (Again headphones are a must here)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I think bx_stereomaker have a similar functionality, with mono-maker and a Tilt knob for some panning and with stereo expansion thrown in for a good measure.

This is one that does have some similar overlap I think.

Using the tilt knob.  But I also do not recall it being as effective in wider pans.

I haven't used it in a long time, but it does other things also and you have to be careful not to color the sound which isn't the intent of a Pan.  

The BX plugin also has far less control over the cut over for the "mono" part.  250 ceiling can be limiting depending on the intent and use.

3 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Wouldn't any stereo EQ with mono-maker frequency adjustment do the same thing?

Yes, and Boz has said as much on another forum.  You can use a panning plugin (or your DAW), then monoize the lower frequencies (i.e. Mongoose) to the same effect.  There are many ways to accomplish this, but what's so nice about Boz's Panner is he makes it easy to do with just the one plugin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mibby said:

Yes, and Boz has said as much on another forum.  You can use a panning plugin (or your DAW), then monoize the lower frequencies (i.e. Mongoose) to the same effect.  There are many ways to accomplish this, but what's so nice about Boz's Panner is he makes it easy to do with just the one plugin.

Well the easy thing to do is put a bass monizer on the bus and then send everything to it.  But that doesn't give freq cut over on an individual track basis.

I remember Boz's posts about alternatives (such as in reaper).  But as he also points out the CPU usage is a lot lower with a PAN knob.