My Babe Is So Slinky (with even more changes)

freddy j

When I was going through old files searching for tracks to send to Jesse, I came across a song that I never completed.  I remember stopping work on it because I wanted it to sound slinky but I couldn't get the sound I was looking for and with out that I could not come up with lyrics.  Well, I gave it another go and this is what resulted.  I'm not sure it is exactly what I wanted but it is close.

Anyway - comments, crit.'s, suggestions, etc. will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

MY BABE IS SO SLINKY

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=963481

Edited by freddy j
to make corrections
  • Like 2

Hi Freddie! Sweet harmonica as always, and the guitars are of course well played. At any given moment, however, the guitars are jamming on top of the harmonica, all during the vocals. I think your mix works best when one or two things are featured at a time, instead of a pile-up. I get that that can be a blues style, sort of a jam, and if that's what you want here, then mission accomplished! Maybe consider some selective pruning here and there?

I love your blues style - maybe I like my blues arrangements a little less densely packed with goodness! `

cheers,

-Tom

• Great Idea 1

Hey Tom

BINGO!!! 

I wasn't quite satisfied when I posted this song but you hit the nail on the head and suggested the change that it needed.  I cut the harmonica in the areas where I felt the lyrics and/or lead guitar were important.  Also, I EQ'ed the tracks and panning a wee bit.  Hopefully, it sounds better now.  I certainly think that it sounds better than it was.  Thanks very much for the help!!!

• Like 1

Hey, Freddy,

I missed the first version, but this definitely sounds "slinky" and great!😀

Great down home Blues with that recognizable "Freddy" trademark sound!  Nice guitar playing as always, cool lyrics, great vocals, and I really love that tasty harmonica, it definitely adds the icing on the cake for the clear, well textured vintage mix.👍

Excellent work, Freddy, keep 'em coming, buddy!

Have a good one!
Bob

Listening to your music is like comfort food for me.  I missed the first mix, apparently, but this sounds great.  Your blues harp is excellent, and everything else is so tight!  Slinky is not just a toy, but is ready for mature audiences everywhere.  Rock on, Freddy!

Hi Garybrun.  Thanks for your comments and insight.  I'll be working on bringing up the vocals and maybe a wee bit more EQ -- probably tonight.

Hi Jesse.  Thanks much for commenting.  Also, thanks again for inviting me in on the colab.  You did an excellent job on putting it all together!

Hey Douglas.  I very much appreciate the kind comments.  Wouldn't it be nice if the Fabulous Thunderbirds had covered it .

Hi Allan.  I am very glad that you dun dug it.  Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment!!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:40 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Hi Freddie! Sweet harmonica as always, and the guitars are of course well played. At any given moment, however, the guitars are jamming on top of the harmonica, all during the vocals. I think your mix works best when one or two things are featured at a time, instead of a pile-up. I get that that can be a blues style, sort of a jam, and if that's what you want here, then mission accomplished! Maybe consider some selective pruning here and there?

I love your blues style - maybe I like my blues arrangements a little less densely packed with goodness! `

cheers,

-Tom

Ya'know .... I love your stuff and this is nooo different but I feel it hasn't reached it's full potential given your thoughts... don't know what version I got but Tom's input is key to this one reaching it's deserved production ... Still loved it ,,,, but hmmm ...... 🤔

Steve

Hi John.  Ya, it is a bit different --- hopefully, a bit more Slinky?   Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and especially for your comments and letting me know what you think.

Hello Bob.  As always, I appreciate your insight and comments.  I was going for the slinky feel and if I hit that then all is "sat-fat".  Thanks again pal!!

Hey Lynn.  Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement.  BTW I just finished listening to your new post and it is an absolute knockout!!! Well done my friend!

Thank you Daryl.  I very much appreciate it!

Hi Steve.  I have taken  Tom's and your comments to heart and have posted one more attempt at getting it right.  Hopefully, this new attempt will sound a little less cluttered.  Thanks very much for your input!!

Hi Joad.  Thank you very much.  Ya, it is kinda old school  --- like me.  Thanks again!

Hey Kenny.  I think that we all have a place where we used to go to listen to the Blues.  Unfortunately, here in the Tampa Bay area good Blues places seem harder to find.  Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment.

• 2 weeks later...