Melda and Sweetwater

Shane_B.

6 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Sweetwater is highly reputable...so I'm sure it's a good thing!

Except they are not known as a cost leader.

Will see if they run anyting other than the standard 50% off Melda discounts.

But they are one of the largest and most reputable music suppliers in the US.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

But they are one of the largest and most reputable music suppliers in the US.  

Very true...they are a "Retailer", not a "discounter"...so unless there's a sale, there's really no savings.
To their credit, for hardware, you get an extra year warranty when purchasing there.  I used to live
15 minutes from Sweetwater, and was in there all the time, as it was right on my way to work!

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

If you go to the trouble, they may price match...  Now if they started throwing in a FREEBIE each month.  🤔

Just now, mibby said:

If you go to the trouble, they may price match...  Now if they started throwing in a FREEBIE each month.  🤔

I've never attempted for software but I did that for Hardware many times until the point where I realized the 3 sales reps I've been through didn't have the power to play ball well enough.  They would always provide some additinoal discount but never got to teh same price I was getting somewhere else, so it turned into what is the point?   They would tout the extra support, etc.  To which I'd reply with I'm incapable of seeing a situation where your team would actually have to exercise that support with me.  

• Like 1

Sweetwater was bought out and things seem to be changing already. I just had a really bad experience with them and that's why I'm a bit leery of this.

I bought a Fender modeling guitar from the a few months ago. They did go the extra mile for me. They let me return some very expensive software that was over a year old that never worked and I couldn't get any tech support from the seller. But, they never did the "55 Point Inspection" and sent me a broken guitar. I live out in the country and can't sign for packages most of the time. They had very clear instructions to deliver without a signature. They screwed it up twice. So basically a guitar showed up here 3 times. Once broken, and twice the delivery guy turned around and left with it according to my Ring camera because I wasn't here to sign after they reassured me twice I wouldn't have to sign. I had enough and told them to just cancel the order but they did let me keep the refund for the software that never worked. I felt really bad for the sales guy but in the end it was their fault. I'm right handed but play guitar left handed and it's incredibly hard to find good left handed guitars. This one was a special guitar that is really hard to get lefty. I even wrote to Fender bitching that they didn't make a lefty and about a year later they came out with one. I saved for a couple years and sold some stuff to get it and then that happened. I couldn't believe it. So yeah, I've had some bad luck with them.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Shane_B. said:

They stopped doing that, at least with the defective $2000 dollar guitar they sent me. LOL

WIthout the inspection, makes me wonder if they shipped out of a different warehouse under the new management for that one...

I haven't bought anything from them for a few years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Sweetwater was bought out and things seem to be changing already. I just had a really bad experience with them and that's why I'm a bit leery of this.

I bought a Fender modeling guitar from the a few months ago. They did go the extra mile for me. They let me return some very expensive software that was over a year old that never worked and I couldn't get any tech support from the seller. But, they never did the "55 Point Inspection"

I've used Sweetwater for years, and would gladly buy hardware from them, but the two guitars they sold me clearly had not been through the 55 Point Inspection either.   Neither had a serious problem that I couldn't fix, but I would say don't claim to do a detailed inspection if you don't actually do it.