Not Liking the look of the New Sonar Interface

It's kind of hard to see some of  the items in Skyline bar.  Need to  make it easy on the eyes for us older guys.

I prefer to the old Cakewalk by Band lab look

I wish the bakers could possibly take a look at some of the themes that were available for old Sonar to give the new Sonar a new more polished, shiny, modern  look  so it will stand out compared to the other DAWS.

just a thought!

• Like 4

Unless you’ve already noticed, there are 7 Color Schemes available in Edit > Preferences > Customization | UI. Maybe some of them suits you better than the default Dark scheme?

I will miss having my blue theme. Perhaps in the future a theme editor will be available.

It's not always easy to accept change. I hated when they changed the name from PA, to Sonar. I hated when they introduced something called skylight. Over time I grew to love these things.

I'm accepting change with more grace as I age. I believe we will come to embrace the new Sonar, and concentrate on the music, not being distracted by a screen.

btw I hated when they came and put a dial on our phone. I had to learn a 7 digit number, rather than tell the operator a 4 digit number to call my Grandpa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

There's a number of themes that come stock with Sonar right now, including ones based on CbB's Tungsten and Mercury, but there's potential to make things more customizable in the future. Old themes themselves are not compatible with the way the new UI works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually only have that one request and it’s a white PRV. It’s impossible for me to work with black because I count on being able to open 2 or more midi tracks at once and adjust notes. In white you can see the colour of the notes but in black this is very difficult to see the ghosted colours. 
So I get stuck with Mercury which sucks for everything else. 
I don’t mind dark in the track view but please can someone put some red on the track record button! 
Or at least make PVR lighter in the lighter colour choices. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Dave Gelzleichter said:

btw I hated when they came and put a dial on our phone. I had to learn a 7 digit number, rather than tell the operator a 4 digit number to call my Grandpa.

And here I thought I was an old-timer...

5 hours ago, Dave Gelzleichter said:

I will miss having my blue theme. Perhaps in the future a theme editor will be available.

It's not always easy to accept change. I hated when they changed the name from PA, to Sonar. I hated when they introduced something called skylight. Over time I grew to love these things.

I'm accepting change with more grace as I age. I believe we will come to embrace the new Sonar, and concentrate on the music, not being distracted by a screen.

Four digits? I had to write it down and give it to the telegraph operator!

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

Or at least make PVR lighter in the lighter colour choices. 

Bringing back some more colour options in Preferences would be nice.  Many have been removed in Sonar that are present in CbB.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Okay, John, I've seen you post this several times and also say it that way in your videos so... friendly correction it's "PRV". 😉

I’m Dyslexic. And my excuse is I am also an old railway guy. So GNR , CPR, CNR, BNR. It just rolls off the tongue 👅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So it seems the only real change is the look of Sonar vs. CbB! If you do not have a high resolution monitor/graphics, then this is not worth much!

Also in the list of bug fixes I could almost find nothing that is of interest to me! But YMMV!

38 minutes ago, CSistine said:

So it seems the only real change is the look of Sonar vs. CbB! If you do not have a high resolution monitor/graphics, then this is not worth much!

Also in the list of bug fixes I could almost find nothing that is of interest to me! But YMMV!

One bug fixed that effects me is that with CbB, MIDI chase did not include any aftertouch events.  With Sonar, it does (both Key and Channel).

Also, the ability to set a default instrument when you add a SIT is handy too.

But as you say, YMMV.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CSistine said:

Project Preview is huge to me.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CSistine said:

I wouldn't call the new per-track built-in spectrum analyzer to be a change in the look.

58 minutes ago, CSistine said:

Absolute time instead of musical time for track delays is huge! That's not a look.

I don't have an issue with the general flat look of it all, but that color scheme is hard on the eyes yeesh! I know that there are other color schemes under the hood, but they didn't do much for that department either, imho.   I hope they allow themers to start modding again, cause I can't see myself using it long term the way it looks right now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, gustabo said:

I wouldn't call the new per-track built-in spectrum analyzer to be a change in the look.

Tell me, who does not already have a couple of spectrum analyzers? Don't misunderstand me, it's nice, but no reason to jump to Sonar!

10 hours ago, gustabo said:

Project Preview is huge to me.

Since I have found out that the Start Screen slows down starting that much, I have disabled it! 😄

• Like 1