Studio One goes Linux!

cclarry

@cclarry I don't recall, but is Studio One the DAW that you're using these days? 

If Cakwalk moves to subscription only, I'm going to upgrade my Studio One Pro 3 to the latest version. Although I have dozens of projects finished and unfinished in Cakewalk that would be an absolute pain to convert -- and I've read up on that process and it does not look fun. Maybe you've done it in the past? 

2 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

@cclarry I don't recall, but is Studio One the DAW that you're using these days? 

If Cakwalk moves to subscription only, I'm going to upgrade my Studio One Pro 3 to the latest version. Although I have dozens of projects finished and unfinished in Cakewalk that would be an absolute pain to convert -- and I've read up on that process and it does not look fun. Maybe you've done it in the past? 

Not curremtly Pav...but I will most likely go Studio One when Cakewalk goes "paid", but not quite sure yet.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Other than getting-over on "the man" (Microsoft or Apple), what's a significant benefit?

I used Ubuntu on a couple of old computers for basic internet stuff and it was fine for that.  But I don't think at my age I would want to go the Linux route for my music stuff.  I'm getting up in years and rather make music then trouble-shoot. 

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1
  • Confused 1

Supposedly we should be allowed to continue to use this freeware version of Cakewalk, right?

Hell, I still have Sonar Producer 8.5.3!  I've been debating if using Blue Cat Audio Patchwork to allow it to use VST3, but in the end, the freeware version is much better than the 8.5.3 version!

Edit:

I have Reaper... Cakewalk's dithering "Pwr-3" is much better than any of Reaper's sound.  Cakewalk Sonar just sounds better when using Pwr-3!

Edited by El Diablo
Added more stuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

I used Ubuntu on a couple of old computers for basic internet stuff and it was fine for that.  But I don't think at my age I would want to go the Linux route for my music stuff.  I'm getting up in years and rather make music then trouble-shoot. 

I prefer Debian.

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

A Linux DAW is an incomplete solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Other than getting-over on "the man" (Microsoft or Apple), what's a significant benefit?

The fact that i can now have a familiar DAW on my Linux laptop and be able to work on projects without having to take two laptops

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

• Privacy - Big tech harvests your data. for their own purposes, then don't protect it properly. For example, Microsoft recently turned over the confidential hotmail email records of journalists Project Veritas (love 'em or hate 'em, that's not the point) - violating assurances of confidentiality to whistleblowers. "Microsoft Accounts," Apple IDs - why give them control of your data?
  • politics - Microsoft and Apple support many political organizations that you may not want to subsidize, as well as working conditions in offshore manufacturing, pollution that evades the laws where consumers live, the ethics of taking jobs out of the USA
  • walled garden app stores, closed ecosystems
  • OS bloat
  • FOSS (free and open source ethos) vs proprietary, closed source software, ability to scrutinize open source code,  less likelihood of NSA backdoors,  OS makers don't have relationships with state actors, 
  • security through obscurity, most viruses aren't intended for linux, not logged in as admin
  • better performance on old hardware, security updates for longer in many cases
  • hardware agnostic

there's probably more. anyone who disagrees with this post, don't get political in the deals forum.

Edited by tansetter
don't get political
  • Like 5

@tansetter

I agree with what you're saying but my point was that I'm an old fart and I just want to play with my toys and not keep setting them up.  I wish Linux took a better hold for music making and maybe it will. But for me now I just don't have the energy to go that route.  I applaud those that are able to   :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tansetter said:

Privacy - Big tech harvests your data. for their own purposes, then don't protect it properly. For example, Microsoft recently turned over the confidential hotmail email records of journalists Project Veritas (love 'em or hate 'em, that's not the point) - violating assurances of confidentiality to whistleblowers. "Microsoft Accounts," Apple IDs - why give them control of your data?

As I understand, MS did this to comply with the law; I don't think you'll find a single company who wouldn't. Here's a clip from the Ubuntu website.

image.png.0b388c430eb7677ecedfecd08d1b7ea1.png

I get why someone who is not already a Linux user would not think much about this, but linux users should be thrilled. Things change in tech all the time.  MacOS is Unix underneath the pretty package and slick marketing. Android is also a variation of  Linux, which is also unix. Chromebooks have gotten more and more popular and also Linux based. If anything we have seen that Unix amd linux have q wide range when marketes properly

• Like 4

Just now, dubdisciple said:

I get why someone who is not already a Linux user would not think much about this, but linux users should be thrilled. Things change in tech all the time.  MacOS is Unix underneath the pretty package and slick marketing. Android is also a variation of  Linux, which is also unix. Chromebooks have gotten more and more popular and also Linux based. If anything we have seen that Unix amd linux have q wide range when marketes properly

I just don't see that being a wise business move, and to Jim's point, incomplete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyjx said:

I just don't see that being a wise business move, and to Jim's point, incomplete.

Who said anything about business?   I specifically referred to people already using linux.  Again, i can understand if someone doesn't want to dive into that world, but i don't understand why it would bother anyone that someone else has wants to.  Being able to use bitwig on my Linux laptop was a lifesaver 

17 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

Who said anything about business?   I specifically referred to people already using linux.  Again, i can understand if someone doesn't want to dive into that world, but i don't understand why it would bother anyone that someone else has wants to.  Being able to use bitwig on my Linux laptop was a lifesaver 

I use Debian and Ubuntu(and Mint a few years back), but I realize it is a such a small subset of people who use Linux and also do music production that it would be cost prohibitive to target the market, that's all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, InstrEd said:

@tansetter

I agree with what you're saying but my point was that I'm an old fart and I just want to play with my toys and not keep setting them up.  I wish Linux took a better hold for music making and maybe it will. But for me now I just don't have the energy to go that route.  I applaud those that are able to   :)

I'm getting too stupid to even mess with Linux.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2