Studio One goes Linux!

cclarry

4 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I use Debian and Ubuntu(and Mint a few years back), but I realize it is a such a small subset of people who use Linux and also do music production that it would be cost prohibitive to target the market, that's all.

I get you, but i think they are thinking of targeting the more specialized market of audio for film. Linux has a much bigger footprint in the film world. I could be wrong, but that might be the play

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I get you, but i think they are thinking of targeting the more specialized market of audio for film. Linux has a much bigger footprint in the film world. I could be wrong, but that might be the play

If you're talking "rendering farms", yes.

If you're talking about folks who compose/record music for Films, they're all using Windows or OSX.  Most are Cubase users.

Out of all Windows users, DAW users are a *tiny* micro-fleck size group.

Linux DAW users are a "sub-atomic" fleck size group.

Maybe Presonus needs a tax write-off...  (shoulder shrug emoji)

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On a serious note, there is no denying that there is a Linux fan base (regardless the size), so a larger developer stepping up to the plate to support them is impressive.

As someone who only has one vehicle that doesn't fall into the antique/historic class, the last thing I am going to do is sling mud at the people who still make those parts. There is zero requirement to "support" this, but it is definitely appreciated.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

A Linux DAW is an incomplete solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Other than getting-over on "the man" (Microsoft or Apple), what's a significant benefit?

The only benefit for a Linux is user. is.......... (crickets chirping)

Let's see........a larger doorstop collection of once used audio interfaces that exceeds Apple

Feeling superior for taking a longer approach using something inferior.

• Confused 1

On 10/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, antler said:

As I understand, MS did this to comply with the law; I don't think you'll find a single company who wouldn't. Here's a clip from the Ubuntu website.

image.png.0b388c430eb7677ecedfecd08d1b7ea1.png

Difference here is you can turn that off permanently in Linux. On Windows, you can maybe turn it off then it turns itself back on next time you update the system, meaning you have to constantly rely on third party software like "ShutUp10" to disable that telemetry.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

Other than getting-over on "the man" (Microsoft or Apple), what's a significant benefit?

Market competition. Having only two companies determining what the vast majority of people can and cannot do with their operating systems is no different than a monopoly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

A Linux DAW is an incomplete solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/linux-studio?utm_term=0DF43CE8-F433-42DB-AB57-C96579DCD55F&lrh=f20c1a200e7e2d0f94a861f1122ae9feed0d2a20ad468be1fc80eb9f5b4c7001&utm_campaign=0205D92E-E67C-43E4-B0CF-F6FEA0D1AF4F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=5109EC82-970D-4F3D-A5CF-D8C263C3C659&utm_source=SmartBrief

The typical  lame ***** argument.    It is a rocket science to most people otherwise it wouldn't be the microcosm that it is.   When it comes to anything an experienced user can't remember the beginner stage. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Is this the first DAW made available for Linux? 

Nope.

6 minutes ago, Solidos said:

Bitwig supports Linux.

Also, Ardour/Harrison Mixbus, Reaper, and Waveform.

There are a number of open source DAWs in addition (LMMS, Rosegarden).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i spent about a year with ubuntu around version 11(?) about 11(?) years ago, the basics (office, internet) are great but everything else (daw, games) missed the commercial support (for me)

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The typical  lame ***** argument.    It is a rocket science to most people otherwise it wouldn't be the microcosm that it is.   When it comes to anything an experienced user can't remember the beginner stage. 

Nothing lame about it.

What problem/s does a Linux DAW solve?

• Latency?
  • Compatibility? 
  • Performance?  

The short answer is none of the above.

What is "Lame ***" is Linux as a DAW platform.

• 20+ years behind Mac and PC
  • Far fewer developers
  • Miniscule user base (Mac/PC DAW user base in tiny compared to general-purpose users.  Linux DAW users are a tiny percentage compared to Mac/PC).
  • Low demand (vs Mac/PC)
  • 101 different OS variants
  • Near zero one-on-one support for less tech-savvy users

What does a miniscule user-base, few developers, and low demand result in?  You guessed it, no significant profit.

The reality of the situation is that (especially in today's economy), companies can't afford thousands of man-hours (development)... for something that's not going to pay for itself.

If your life-savings was invested in a DAW software company, would you honestly think it a wise investment to develop a Linux DAW?  

Lets say you've got 10 thousand man-hours in development cost (at $50/man-hour).

That's half a million dollars.

I don't know about you, but I'd want that $500,000 to generate a decent return on investment.

Mac/PC is going to have a much better ROI... because the user-base is much larger (far more potential customers).

Say Company X compiled the ultimate Linux DAW.

Legitimate support across the many different variants of Linux would be a nightmare (money and time).

Why do you think many laptop developers choose to hide BIOS parameters from end-users?  It's not because it's beneficial from a performance standpoint, it's to save them from potential tech-support nightmare.

If you want to run a Linux DAW "just because you can"... more power to you.

For someone who has everything they want/need in a current Mac/PC DAW, where's the impetus to make a (less than lateral) move?

Emotional/philosophical reasons aren't going to motivate folks to take a significant step backward.

Remember when Mac/PC DAWs were starting to come about?  Oh, this new DAW software is going to be the "ProTools killer".

Just because someone created an alternative (even if it's completely equal in features/function), that's not enough of a reason to get many folks to switch.

Linux as legitimate DAW platform (to completely rival Mac/PC) faces a nearly vertical slope.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 5