Alright Already, when Is Sonar being released!!

jesse g

2 hours ago, heath row said:

Nothing fancy, just tickled my bones, it was talking about the release of the 'Cakewalk Reference Guide PDF' as you can see in the tab, your comment was made after Craig B mentioned how many pages.

8IPXGe5.jpg

While this is funny, I'm just laughing at pwal's member rank: "Getting my feet ween!"

It's also obvious that "pwal" didn't have his slap-back echo on in that forum, ya? 😆

On 8/24/2023 at 4:46 AM, bitman said:

It feels like something is terribly wrong like perhaps the health of a key baker or close loved ones. This would be enough to make the brass at Bandlab rethink things. The radio silence is telling and deafening.

I don't think so. They've mentioned an extensive re-tooling of the UI, including (I think) native scalability, which means vector graphics instead of the fixed bitmaps Cakewalk has.

That is a HUGE undertaking. It ain't like creating a Cakewalk theme, which I know myself can itself take weeks if you really go deep and change every element you can. This is the first UI overhaul of this magnitude since SONAR X.

So if they're really going to change every menu and view (including things like Staff View), we're looking at quite the time frame. That's blowing the dust off of some very dusty code.

I'm not sure why they would have announced it so far ahead of the release, it's induced a bit of FUD among the user base. Including some YouTube heavy hitters who had spent years pitching CbB as the best choice for a free DAW. Cakewalk Sonar is now going to need to be the best DAW for the money, which is a tougher league to play in.

So, yeah, hoping for some long-awaited features besides the UI overhaul. I've spent so many years babbling about what a great deal CbB is to my friends who haven't yet gotten into home recording that I want it to still be a great deal.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

16 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Cakewalk Sonar is now going to need to be the best DAW for the money, which is a tougher league to play in.

Like a Really Evenly Applied Price Every* Release

*every other, actually

Edited by Bapu
  • Haha 3

On 8/31/2023 at 2:15 PM, Bapu said:

Like a Really Evenly Applied Price Every* Release
*every other, actually

IMO, unless Sonar comes out with a bunch of new, major features, it's now playing in the under $100 leagues, not the $199 leagues that it was in 6 years ago. Yes, it's gotten a ton of much-needed bug fixes and smaller new features (nested folders, ripple edit indicator, and on and on). But the only major ones I can think of are Arranger and Articulations.

The competition is now Mixcraft, REAPER, Studio One Artist.

Still no sampler, no chord track. We'll see what the future holds. I've been a fan of the current development and licensing models.

Maybe the Cakewalk bashing should be turned down a bit? I wouldn’t be surprised if the introduction of Sonar and Next in due time would also result in a reorganized forum. The Coffe House sub-forum is in no way Cakewalk related. If the core products are constantly being bashed, here and in the Deals forum, the future existence of those sub-forums might be questioned by the owners. Just my two cents.

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 3

Meh, censorship is its own form of self destruction, and folks don't need to bash in the Coffee House or Deals forum anyway. There have been plenty of posts in the main Cakewalk forum over the years.

Gibson really backed Cakewalk into a corner with what they did, so I am more curious given what has been stated and implied on how this will manifest itself in reality.

Product bashing ,specialky on the HP of the developer is never a good idea, 

On the other hand  :constructive critic is very  welcome.

There are some examples of product  bashing not in the Coffee house only,  more threads aso on  the CbB product page, or ?

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 2

I think if it starts to get a little out of hand then we'll be asked to step in, but I also think that no product is beyond constructive criticism either. Some of the best features added to SONAR / CbB (and I would assume Sonar, when it's out) has come from someone getting frustrated or annoyed that something isn't doing what they expect it should do, posting about it, and the Bakers taking notice and adding it in to a future release.  But let's try to keep the complaints constructive at least. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

FWIW I have no complaints and I will never intentionally bash CbB or the new SONAR. I reserved the right to speak my displeasure with the new pricing model if and when it comes out if I actually have an issue with it.

On the whole I have no issue with charging for the new products, especially SONAR since I will always maintain a current copy on my machine. Most here know I have 11 paid for DAW products installed. And although I'm now most comfortable with Studio One on a day to day basis I have my uses for CbB and the others too.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion or not agreeing with what a company is doing, of course! I don't think anyone would want to step on that right, even if it might not be what they want to hear necessarily. 

I don't think anyone here is going out of their way to crap on Cakewalk though, or there's any nefarious agenda trying to promote other products or anything. I don't reckon we'd be asked to step in on any kind of chats like this unless it was consistent and ongoing, and especially in the main CbB forum.

I'm still wearing my mod n00b hat but I'm really not seeing anything here personally that's making me want to chat to the team about it.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, Bapu said:

FWIW I have no complaints and I will never intentionally bash CbB or the new SONAR. I reserved the right to speak my displeasure with the new pricing model if and when it comes out if I actually have an issue with it.

On the whole I have no issue with charging for the new products, especially SONAR since I will always maintain a current copy on my machine. Most here know I have 11 paid for DAW products installed. And although I'm now most comfortable with Studio One on a day to day basis I have my uses for CbB and the others too.

I’m sitting in much the same spot, except I’m no where near 11 different DAWs.   When the Bakers announced their new plans, my reaction was to upgrade my Studio One v3 to v6 Pro and get serious about learning the program.  I’m struggling a bit to make the conversation, but I’m not giving up this time and going backwards.  Hopefully I’ll be saying I’m most comfortable with Studio One one of these days, in the near future .

I have no complaints either about Cakewalk, it has served me well for the past several decades.  If the pricing is right, I will maintain a paid for version as a back up plan.  I also collaborate with several that run Cakewalk, so it would be handy to maintain a version. 

On 9/2/2023 at 12:39 AM, Starship Krupa said:

The competition is now Mixcraft, REAPER, Studio One Artist.

In the earlier years Cubase was the biggest competitor for Twelve Tone Systems Cakewalk.

But then came Sonar and it seems it could not really keep up with Cubase which then rather was competing with Logic and so forth.

Now there's an entire line of DAWs of which many competes in the TOP, like Logic (of course) Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio, Studio One, Reaper, and so forth.

For some reason Cakewalk (even though it is FREE) is not even considered by the professionals. Which I think is a shame. Though I must admit there are certain things in Cakewalk which are kinda old fashioned and just can't keep up with modern music production, especially for EDM.

I wonder how Sonar will place itself among these strong competitors listed above. I really hope it'll be more EDM friendly, something which today more or less affect most of music styles, not least considering the need for proper mixing.

1 hour ago, pulsewalk said:

I wonder how Sonar will place itself among these strong competitors listed above. I really hope it'll be more EDM friendly, something which today more or less affect most of music styles, not least considering the need for proper mixing.

I'm a neophyte when it comes to EDM, please explain what are the things that make a  DAW more EDM friendly.