Abandoning MasterWriter as a lyric writing aid....

Bapu

8 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Are you sure ;)   

The problem with this argument is that we all shouldn't be connected at all on-line then.   We went on a road-trip out West in May and the amount of data Google collected from my phone was insane. But my wife had her phone not to share location etc etc etc...... and she kept complaining that she can't find the information.  I guess it is the price we pay in a connected society.  Not saying I like it and I'm not on Facebook or the like so I pick the poison I can live with :D

I have said many times before, okay for Google to track but not MS mentality is just wacky

The problem with your argument is that it's a strawman.

Not to impugn your wife or her intelligence, but her problem is not the phone being locked down for privacy, but not applying basic research skills.

I know it sounds remarkable, but somehow people managed to find their way around, get something to eat and even buy stuff before Big Tech wanted to spy on us all the time.

There is nothing, nothing, inherent about the internet that requires all of Big Tech's data mining for it's functionality. In fact, it wasn't even a thing until they figured out how to make billions of of it.

18 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Are you sure ;)   

The problem with this argument is that we all shouldn't be connected at all on-line then.   We went on a road-trip out West in May and the amount of data Google collected from my phone was insane. But my wife had her phone not to share location etc etc etc...... and she kept complaining that she can't find the information.  I guess it is the price we pay in a connected society.  Not saying I like it and I'm not on Facebook or the like so I pick the poison I can live with :D

I have said many times before, okay for Google to track but not MS mentality is just wacky

If your wife has that concern, then she shouldn't use her phone at all, since your carrier pretty much always can estimate your location all the time using signal triangulation. And that is also used by your phone GPS as well.

12 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

If you think this is only about companies trying to sell you mouthwash or barbecue grills then you're just naive.

No.  I'm  blasé.  For the record I just helped my employer get ISO 27001 certified, I am fully up to date on cyber security I just don't care - as an individual it doesn't affect me. Have at it.   

2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

No.  I'm  blasé.  For the record I just helped my employer get ISO 27001 certified, I am fully up to date on cyber security I just don't care - as an individual it doesn't affect me. Have at it.   

So, how about that email address, banking information and passwords?

Man, your naivete is breathtaking..

Edited by Byron Dickens

3 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

If your wife has that concern, then she shouldn't use her phone at all, since your carrier pretty much always can estimate your location all the time using signal triangulation. And that is also used by your phone GPS as well.

I keep trying to tell her that  :D    Funny thing is she uses Facebook because she came from a large extended family that has relatives all across the Country.  I keep telling her that Facebook is the worst about sucking information about you 😆  

32 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I keep trying to tell her that  :D    Funny thing is she uses Facebook because she came from a large extended family that has relatives all across the Country.  I keep telling her that Facebook is the worst about sucking information about you 😆  

Apart from all the other Meta apps...  Have you seen what Threads wants to hoover up?

1 minute ago, Xoo said:

Apart from all the other Meta apps...  Have you seen what Threads wants to hoover up?

I'm staying away from Twitter, Facebook and the like.   I have been tempted to join Facebook a few times for music related information but so far I have remained strong and resisted the Dark Side 😆 

I do admit my Wife has found information on the Parent Page Group where my daughters go to college.  So Facebook has its merits. I just don't feel like policing my computer to lock it down from all the hooks that Facebook gets into the computer system.

4 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

So, how about that email address, banking information and passwords?

Man, your naivete is breathtaking..

They're on the dark web in various data breaches, just name your price.

It's not naivete I am fully knowledgable I just don't subscribe to fear mongering. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

They're on the dark web in various data breaches, just name your price.

That's like saying you're not going to lock your doors anymore because you already been burglarized once.

4 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

It's not naivete I am fully knowledgable I just don't subscribe to fear mongering. 

Do you lock the doors to your house when you leave? Do you lock your car will you park it somewhere? Why? Are you living in fear or something?

Taking reasonable precautions is hardly "fear-mongering."

37 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

That's like saying you're not going to lock your doors anymore because you already been burglarized once.

Do you lock the doors to your house when you leave? Do you lock your car will you park it somewhere? Why? Are you living in fear or something?

Taking reasonable precautions is hardly "fear-mongering."

Whoa!  You guys have DOORS???!!!!!  😮

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bapu said:

image.png.d38faff0785e044096f17ec5718a3d4b.png

Good job Ed!  I literally told someone that was near me when I posted that "Let's see how long before someone posts [I had said a YouTube video] of the Doors below that!"

Close enough! 😁 

• Like 1