Abandoning MasterWriter as a lyric writing aid....

Bapu

I tried ChatGPT the other day to give me some ideas for a song which I'd had a title for but no real ideas.  Not unimpressed at all - I'd say 90% usable.

I also asked it to review one of my band's albums...apart from it getting the song titles wrong, I like how much it likes my music 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xoo said:

I tried ChatGPT the other day to give me some ideas for a song which I'd had a title for but no real ideas.  Not unimpressed at all - I'd say 90% usable.

I also asked it to review one of my band's albums...apart from it getting the song titles wrong, I like how much it likes my music 🙂

FWIW - As someone who has become familiar with ChatGPT only because the guy I'm currently programming with wants to use it in custom apps for people, there's a decent amount of difference between the publicly available version (v3.5) and the latest version we pay for (v4).  v4 is FAR better and faster at every task we've given it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

MasterWriter doesn't harvest your personal data and sell it to anyone with a bank card either.

Are you sure ;)   

The problem with this argument is that we all shouldn't be connected at all on-line then.   We went on a road-trip out West in May and the amount of data Google collected from my phone was insane. But my wife had her phone not to share location etc etc etc...... and she kept complaining that she can't find the information.  I guess it is the price we pay in a connected society.  Not saying I like it and I'm not on Facebook or the like so I pick the poison I can live with :D

I have said many times before, okay for Google to track but not MS mentality is just wacky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhonoBrainer said:

What about the ethical consideration of using AI to write lyrics, then calling / considering yourself a songwriter?

Just wondering.

Same as the BIAB, EZK/EZB/SD3 debates.

If ChatGPT is used in a virgin state you/I/they are a producer, if edited you/I/they are a composer/songwriter. Even John Lennon used a circus poster as an idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

Same as the BIAB, EZK/EZB/SD3 debates.

If ChatGPT is used in a virgin state you/I/they are a producer, 

Ok I get that . . .

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

. . . if edited you/I/they are a composer/songwriter. Even John Lennon used a circus poster as an idea.

You could fairly say, if you use ChatGPT for "help" writing lyrics, then at best you and Chat are co-lyricists.

As for Lennon, a human observing the world around him has been the genesis of creativity since the cave paintings. But Lennon didn't use a computer "intelligence" to help him to observe or interpret anything.

I know I don't speak authoritatively on this, because it's all so new, but I do have questions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

You could fairly say, if you use ChatGPT for "help" writing lyrics, then at best you and Chat are co-lyricists.

That makes sense too. But CharGPT can't copyright its contribution and if you/I/they did credit ChatGPT where does its $hare go?

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I don't care who knows what about me , they can have all the data they want - makes no difference. Never understood why people get hung up on it.  

In that case, why don't you give us all your email, bank account, etc. passwords so we all take a look at the info in there at our own leisure? Shouldn't make a difference and I don't see why people are so hung up about keeping that information a secret.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

In that case, why don't you give us all your email, bank account, etc. passwords so we all take a look at the info in there at our own leisure? Shouldn't make a difference and I don't see why people are so hung up about keeping that information a secret.

Sure what's your email address

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

What about the ethical consideration of using AI to write lyrics, then calling / considering yourself a songwriter?

Just wondering.

Sort of reminiscent of the two who ran a script to generate a truckload of song melodies (they claimed they had done all possible variations). With storage being so massive and cheap these days, someone could script it to pound out lyrics just the same, text files are so small they could pump out thousands of songs a second.

I notice Bing has shifted to assembling responses from its web spiders, but at least they footnote which page each sentence comes from. So far they are simply butting complete sentences together AFAICT.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

MasterWriter doesn't harvest your personal data and sell it to anyone with a bank card either.

The version after the one I own, which is locally installed, is web based only.

3 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I don't care who knows what about me , they can have all the data they want - makes no difference. Never understood why people get hung up on it.  

You been living with your head in the sand or something?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=data+breaches+list&t=fpas&ia=web

Consumer Data: Increasing Use Poses Risks to Privacy

If you think this is only about companies trying to sell you mouthwash or barbecue grills then you're just naive.