iZotope, Brainworx, and Plugin Alliance are now part of NI

satya

12 hours ago, iNate said:

Registry has a standardized organization.

If only!

I saw this joke taped to a cubicle in a Microsoft office:

Q: How many MS engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. They just change the standard to "dark".

To be fair, Windows isn't too bad when it comes to consistency within the registry - if you ignore legacy keys that can't be moved for backward compatibility. But they don't enforce standardization on third parties, who can throw stuff all over the place if they want.

I store all my libraries on a single 16TB  drive (E). I only have 6.5 TB free now. I also store "archived" Cakewalk project files there too. As well, I put my sync'd Dropbox folders there too. Wherever an installer allows me to declare a downloads folder I specify that drive with a unique folder name ("NI Downloads",  "Toontrack Downloads", "IKM downloads" etc.), otherwise I keep individual VST/VSTi installers on my 4tb NAS drive and run the installer from there. That drive only has 526GB of free space. I have a secondary 4tb NAS drive that has 1.5tb free.

1 hour ago, antler said:

🤯

Is that a spinner, SSD, or m2?

M.2 is too small to get 16TB on there, even with the longer than 80mm  drives that some Enterprise  class SSDs use.

You can get 15TB U.2 or U.3 drives for as 'little' as £1,250. You need a £30 adapter to use them in a PCIe 4x slot.
Samsung have a 12.8TB U.2 which is only £720.
That's less than the 8TB M.2 drives.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MarcL said:

What a standard! 😄 Typical Micosoft! 👎

Everything I look for is in a standardized area of the registry. It has been this way since Windows 3.1x. 

You're projecting the issues with the INI system onto the registry, where you didn't know if the INI file was in the Application, User or Windows Directory. And where application settings were often left vulnerable to changes from other processes with no security measures in place. 

Honestly, if someone is that bad with pattern recognition, there is nothing Microsoft can do to mitigate their issues with the Registry. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that on this NI webpage, Stratus has a new GUI.  I'd like to update my version (which has the old GUI), but neither Native Access nor iZotope's updater includes Stratus (or Symphony) as a product.

Originally this reverb was an Exponential Audio product, but then it became part of iZotope, and now they're part of NI!  So, who's responsible for it?  And specifically, does anyone know what to use to perform this update?

The recent consolidation is making updating even more frustrating and time-consuming.

Edited by locrian

31 minutes ago, locrian said:

I just noticed that on this NI webpage, Stratus has a new GUI.  I'd like to update my version (which has the old GUI), but neither Native Access nor iZotope's updater includes Stratus (or Symphony) as a product.

Originally this reverb was an Exponential Audio product, but then it became part of iZotope, and now they're part of NI!  So, who's responsible for it?  And specifically, does anyone know what to use to perform this update?

The recent consolidation is making updating even more frustrating and time-consuming.

They have a downloads page here:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/downloads.html

• Thanks 1

Guys I can't find the installer for Stratus the version one before current, so 3.0.0-something (for Windows). It's the one still with VST2 in it, any idea how can I download it? Tried in products>downloads and in legacy products but no luck.

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

Guys I can't find the installer for Stratus the version one before current, so 3.0.0-something (for Windows). It's the one still with VST2 in it, any idea how can I download it? Tried in products>downloads and in legacy products but no luck.

iZotope has always exceled at purging older products from stores and the internet, so you might try reaching out to iZotope's customer service. The file was named "Exponential_Audio_Stratus_Win_Release_3_00.zip" (105MB) but has no hits for search engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

iZotope has always exceled at purging older products from stores and the internet, so you might try reaching out to iZotope's customer service. The file was named "Exponential_Audio_Stratus_Win_Release_3_00.zip" (105MB) but has no hits for search engines.

Will do. Thanks a lot!

NI drops Absynth 5 and adds Plugin Alliance? Talk about going backward. I've never upgraded my Komplete v9 Ultimate license, just Kontakt and Guitar Rig individually. Plugin Alliance really screw over the devs of the plugins and apps they sell. They will never get another dime of my money. I wonder how long it's going to take NI to realize that they just made a deal with the devil.

2 hours ago, John Maar said:

Plugin Alliance really screw over the devs of the plugins and apps they sell. They will never get another dime of my money. I wonder how long it's going to take NI to realize that they just made a deal with the devil.

But NI aren't partnering with PA (like Dear Reality, etc.); they own them - they get to set the rules.

Edited by antler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Here's to hoping NI will finally do something with the PPG code that Brainworx bought

I was looking forward to that and much like their mastering DAW it really hasn't developed into anything solid yet!

2 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Here's to hoping NI will finally do something with the PPG code that Brainworx bought

Eesh, I saw PPG and my first reaction is "paint." Is funny how many acronyms span industries with entirely different meanings.

10 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Is funny how many acronyms span industries with entirely different meanings.

I work as a software developer. At work, we use something that used to be called Visual Studio Team Services to build the code we write. It's been renamed as something else now, but the acronym VSTS is still in use. I had difficulty in getting used to it as every time I saw VSTS, I though it was referring to some VST plugins 😁.

• Haha 2