Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

Hi All I owned Sonar Platinum Lifetime prior to Bandlab taking over. Will there be any kind of discounts for previous owners? It was built up from my original Sonar 8 upgrading regularly.

Edited by willif

27 minutes ago, willif said:

Hi All I owned Sonar Platinum Lifetime prior to Bandlab taking over. Will there be any kind of discounts for previous owners? It was built up from my original Sonar 8 upgrading regularly.

No one (publicly) knows the answer to that question and will not for some time (I'm imagining 2 - 3 months at least).

1 hour ago, willif said:

I also bought the Sonar lifetime subscription, but that was under the Gibson era.
I don't see why Bandlab should honor a contract I made with Gibson, we should have sued Gibson at the time.

I understand Bandlab wanting to do business with the DAW they bought very expensive in the hands of Gibson,
and besides I never understood Cakewalk's free policy, even if I took advantage of it.

Me, I'm willing to pay to thank the saviors of my DAW, but I'm also willing to change DAW if they goes into a subscription policy at all.
Sorry, I just skimmed the thread, I don't know if the question is decided?

7 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

I've been reading this thread for days and you're the first to note that "Sonar" is not the same as "SONAR." Thanks for saving me from having to write a pedantic post taking note of this (probably meaningless) distinction. Or is it meaningless? Perhaps we need clarification from @Meng...

If you take note of posts by Mr Borthwick and JJ and JS and the team, they seem to be using all caps when referring to the old, and only capital 'S' when referring to the new. I don't think it is meaningless, but how it is going forward.

• Like 1

Oh, and to keep the other convention up, I've been using Cakewalk/SONAR since Pro Audio 9, jumped ship late 2015, purchased the

(cough) Lifetime Updates (cough) even though I wasn't using SONAR Platinum anymore, I'm a sucker for a good deal, or perhaps just a sucker 🙄

Signed up for CbB but never bothered using it. I'll watch how this new jimbuggery rolls out, but highly unlikely I'll buy it, just here for the ruckus that usually ensues things like this at the Cakewalk Forums, and it hasn't disappointed thus far. ☺️

Think I'll join old Bapu and grab myself some popcorn and a lazy chair.🍿

Very interesting to see how it all rolls out.

8 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

I've been reading this thread for days and you're the first to note that "Sonar" is not the same as "SONAR." Thanks for saving me from having to write a pedantic post taking note of this (probably meaningless) distinction. Or is it meaningless? Perhaps we need clarification from @Meng...

Indeed, the distinction is intended! As others have noted in the context of the brand update, we're consistently not using all caps for our our product names, and that's intentional. "SONAR" was introduced as all caps due to trademark constraints. We now refer to our products as "Cakewalk xxx" which is easier to trademark and clearly identifies product and brand.  The use of normal casing also offers additional referential distinction between old and new. Hope that helps!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, Keni said:

Isn’t that what workspaces was created to do? 

I don’t use them myself so I’m not very knowledgeable on their abilities and limitations .

Not quite... workspaces allows you to "filter out" modules, functions, etc to declutter the UI. 

This other function allows you to create different versions of your music inside the same file. Steinberg Dorico has it - but this is a notation software, not a production tool as CW -, and is really nice to work this way: each piece of music is independent from the others, you just "recall" it with one click.

Someone mentioned "scratchpad": not familiar with, but sounds like the feature I'd like to get from CW.

Edited by Andres Medina
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Larioso said:

I think a good project manager could take care of that.

Cubase had something where you could rate with stars 1-5 among project files and such, to keep track on which state they are in. That's how I used it anyway, embryo, tracking, mixing, mastering

As I recall some ability to create own categories as well.

Embed all that stuff into one project I can sense loads of bugs ahead - different tempos in one file and such.

How many use MixRecall in Cakewalk/Sonar today?

- It has some of that altering with different versions.

- but not as deep to complete arrangements

I just sense bugs, and never used it. Stability is number one.....

Good point. I wish I remember which DAW had it... I heard Hans Zimmer talking about it in a Master Class. I think it was Cubase but you are familiar with it and seems to lack this one.

1 hour ago, Andres Medina said:

Not quite... workspaces allows you to "filter out" modules, functions, etc to declutter the UI. 

This other function allows you to create different versions of your music inside the same file. Steinberg Dorico has it - but this is a notation software, not a production tool as CW -, and is really nice to work this way: each piece of music is independent from the others, you just "recall" it with one click.

Someone mentioned "scratchpad": not familiar with, but sounds like the feature I'd like to get from CW.

Hmmm... I seem to remember that one of the reasons I avoid workspaces is because of their ability to create totally changed mixes within a single project. I can't speak from experience because as I've never used them. I find it just as easy to simply save things under modified names within a single song/project. I'm sure having it already open (?) within an existing project would possibly be faster (change dependent), I've not been troubled by it. So I can see some people wanting it, but for me it's not important at all....

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

There will be another final CbB release with bug fixes. We're wrapping up the details on that...

Hi everyone!

It's already stated that the BandLabs free Cakewalk version can stil be used by current users in the future.

But I also want to know if we'll be able to install this last version without needing to generate a free licente key like we need to do now?
Or wil the last version simply be the full stand-alone version?

17 minutes ago, Keni said:

Hmmm... I seem to remember that one of the reasons I avoid workspaces is because of their ability to create totally changed mixes within a single project. I can't speak from experience because as I've never used them. I find it just as easy to simply save things under modified names within a single song/project. I'm sure having it already open (?) within an existing project would possibly be faster (change dependent), I've not been troubled by it. So I can see some people wanting it, but for me it's not important at all....

No, Workspaces changes the layout and menus, etc. - what you're thinking of is Mix Recall. :) 

• Like 4

Major Marketing screw up i think calling it Cakewalk Sonar, Yes i get Cakewalk Next but Sonar is to tied to the past. Cakewalk Studio or Cakewalk  Evolution or Just Cakewalk Pro or something .  

Edited by whoisp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

At the  risk of coming across as low rent or cheap, I feel obliged to comment.

Basically it comes down to how much? Realistically, we can`t expect a very accurate price to be announced at this stage. But perhaps a "ball park" number would be helpful.

@ £100 I`m probably in, I like the software and I can carry on working on my stuff ( such as it is ) until the changeover without any worries. Yes I`m aware that CbB is supposed to carry on unsupported, but we do have that periodic re-authorisation to think about.

@ £200 or more, It will be time for me to start looking around now and auditioning other options, finishing off what is currently in CbB with a view to moving on. After all, then the next few months could be used more productively than just hoping for the best. There are a few options in the £100 or less range to be looked at but it would be nice to know now, whether or not we will have to go through the work of learning new software. Which I find a pain.

@ Subscription, I`m out of here. Sorry.

So in conclusion, a ball park number would help a lot

• Like 1