Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

@Bruno de Souza Lino - it's not just 4K and UHD -- it's for any monitor scaling including 2560x1440 which is another common size. They can make the change to vector and you'll still have the size/scale you have now. That's not an issue, and they've made it very clear that's what they intend. You won't be disappointed!

As far as high resolution monitors being a minority -- that's something that can and likely will change over time. This update will make Cakewalk SONAR cutting edge and competitive with other DAWs that have already proven this feature. It's not a crazy change, others have done it and it's becoming standard.

The beautiful thing about a vector based UI is the software is ready for whatever screen size/resolution comes in the future. It's future-proofed.. There is every reason to be excited, and no reason to be concerned. Seriously! 🙂

Edited by Cyanide Lovesong
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cyanide Lovesong said:

@Bruno de Souza Lino - it's not just "4K" or UHD (not the same thing) -- it's for any monitor scaling including 2560x1440 which is another common size. They can make the change to vector and you'll still have the size/scale you have now. That's not an issue, and they've made it very clear that's what they intend. You won't be disappointed!

I won't hold my breath for a product I don't even know the price of, as even if it doesn't disappoint me, who knows if I'll be even able to afford it. Plus, I don't even know what the thing looks like. So the only thing I can do atm is raise my concerns about it, because I'm yet to see good results from vector based scalable UIs.

7 minutes ago, Cyanide Lovesong said:

As far as high resolution monitors being a minority -- that's something that can and likely will change over time. This change will make Cakewalk SONAR cutting edge and competitive with other DAWs that already offer this feature. It's not a crazy change, other's have done it and it's becoming standard.

All I care about is not losing my screen space for UI elements. Even if I had a 4k panel, I would still use it in 100% scaling or lower because there's little point in having that many pixels and making everything larger because you can't see jack. You might as well use a monitor with a smaller resolution.

11 minutes ago, Cyanide Lovesong said:

The beautiful thing about a vector based UI is the software is ready for whatever size comes in the future. It's effectively future-proofed, and should look beautiful at any resolution. There is every reason to be excited, and no reason to be concerned. Seriously! 🙂

But is it backwards compatible? Cause that's my whole point here.

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember when this product was called "Cakewalk" by 12 Tones, not sure why they ever changed it to "Sonar by Cakewalk", and I certainly don't know why Bandlab is now repeating the  same and turning it back into Sonar by Cakewalk.  Is is it the brand or product? Was Sonar more popular than Cakewalk? I haven't been missing the Sonar brand and this seems to be just creating more brand dilution.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chris Boshuizen said:

I'm old enough to remember when this product was called "Cakewalk" by 12 Tones, not sure why they ever changed it to "Sonar by Cakewalk", and I certainly don't know why Bandlab is now repeating the  same and turning it back into Sonar by Cakewalk.  Is is it the brand or product? Was Sonar more popular than Cakewalk? I haven't been missing the Sonar brand and this seems to be just creating more brand dilution.

Yeah... I always loved the name and logo they had back then... Twelve Tones and the dancing cake! I remember when they were thinking about new names before chosing Sonar... Long ago...

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Except the question you're responding to was not about pricing.

3 hours ago, Misha said:

However, it shouldn't be hard to understand to why I repeatedly insist  that at least  versions sold under Gibson should be permanently unlocked for those who bought them.

@Bruno de Souza Lino is technically right! @Misha apologies for the indirect response. I conflated pricing and granting permanent  unlocks, viewing the latter as a what-if-I-don't-pay scenario, because we don't see a future in which your old projects wouldn't open in Sonar. We've been solid there for decades. But in a catastrophic future scenario, like the company shutting down yielding no ownership of the software, we'd do our best to provide a means of unlocking the core software. Obviously there would be limitations concerning any 3rd party licenses in that scenario. Hope that helps! 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Chris Boshuizen said:

Chris, Cakewalk is a division of BandLab Technologies and a corporate decision was made to have us operate independently under our own brand.
We are now a multi-product company and have two products Sonar and Next with more to come in the future. Calling the product Cakewalk wouldn't make much sense. Cakewalk by Cakewalk? Lol

Also, there were numerous cases in the past where BandLab users were confused with the old branding and thought CbB was the BandLab web DAW (which they have now renamed to BandLab Studio). The new branding will alleviate issues like that.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Einstein R said:

Sorry to chime in here. Something I have not seen mentioned; when is the approximate date when the official announcement will go out????

is it going to be September????

Thanks for chiming in! No date set as yet, but later this year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Chris, Cakewalk is a division of BandLab Technologies and a corporate decision was made to have us operate independently under our own brand.

Ah, that you now operate independently under Bandlab is a brand-new reorganization thing?

1 minute ago, GreenLight said:

Ah, that you now operate independently under Bandlab is a brand-new reorganization thing?

Yes. We are "Cakewalk" as an independent brand within the BandLab Technologies group. As Cakewalk, we have just announced two products: Next and Sonar. 👍

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

Yes. We are "Cakewalk" as an independent brand within the BandLab Technologies group. As Cakewalk, we have just announced two products: Next and Sonar. 👍

Yes, I got the two new products part, but didn't really realize the "going independent brand" part. :)

What kind of effects do you foresee this corporate change to have on your operation and business, going forward?

9 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

What kind of effects do you foresee this corporate change to have on your operation and business, going forward?

The main takeaway right now, as far as the community is concerned, is that this change just better substantiates our operational reality. The Cakewalk brand, though it is part of BLT, is 100% committed to desktop-domain software products with a roadmap minimally entangled with other non-Cakewalk product roadmaps. 

• Like 6