Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

1 minute ago, Byron Dickens said:

What is so hard to understand about the company that made that deal with you doesn't exist any more?

Absolutely. That would be a nice gesture from Bandlab to offer for example a 50% discount to those who have a serial number and a "life-time" licence from Sonar Platinum as an incentive and loyalty reward, sure, but they have no legal or even moral obligation to do that.
(but it would be nice 🙂 )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ancjava said:

Can staff confirm if the new Sonar will require more resources than CbB or if the PC that run CbB smoothly (in my case 4 core CPU and 16 GB of RAM) should be enough to get the same performance out of new Sonar?

If it runs on cbb today there is a very good chance it will be fine. The main difference would be the new vector based UI but we don't expect that to require more resources. In fact it could take less since the overall footprint of the app will be smaller.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, MarianoGF said:

Mmm, I'm not expecting BandLab to honour those who purchased lifetime updates, but lets say that when you acquire a company, you do it with its assets and liabilities.

They didn't acquire the company, they acquired the intellectual property.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This is correct.  It'll be just CbB with new images, high dpi support and a few extra feature enhancements.

You realize of course that whatever you do is going to have to add value to the current free version commensurate to the cost of purchase or upgrade.

So let's just pull a number out of the air...let's say the cost to upgrade from the current free version to the new paid Sonar is $200. So now you've got to add $200 of value to the new Sonar in order to make it worth upgrading.

A new UI with a "few extra feature enhancements" is not likely to cut it at least for me and I'm probably not alone. 

But we're seeing in this thread the problem with partial announcements with the "important details" to follow.  All it does is spark rampant speculation and fear mongering. ("oh my god they're going subscription") and so on.

So I suggest putting all your cards on the table now. Just tell us what the price will be. Just tell us if there will be discounts for paying customer of the old Sonar and so on.

Clearing the air now will help you and the user base as well.

To clear things up from my end I will never subscribe to software so if that's the way things are going tell me now so I can move on and focus on the other 5 DAWs I own, one of which has lifetime free updates.

• Like 3
  • Meh 1

4 minutes ago, Teksonik said:

To clear things up from my end I will never subscribe to software so if that's the way things are going tell me now so I can move on and focus on the other 5 DAWs I own, one of which has lifetime free updates.

Life time updates as long as the company exists??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garybrun said:

Life time updates as long as the company exists??

Not sure, what direction this goes, but of course. Which in the case of the company Teksonik obviously refers to would mean, that you could have bought it in 1997 and will still get free updates on version and features. Pretty impressive.

2 hours ago, Teksonik said:

You realize of course that whatever you do is going to have to add value to the current free version commensurate to the cost of purchase or upgrade.

So let's just pull a number out of the air...let's say the cost to upgrade from the current free version to the new paid Sonar is $200. So now you've got to add $200 of value to the new Sonar in order to make it worth upgrading.

A new UI with a "few extra feature enhancements" is not likely to cut it at least for me and I'm probably not alone. 

But we're seeing in this thread the problem with partial announcements with the "important details" to follow.  All it does is spark rampant speculation and fear mongering. ("oh my god they're going subscription") and so on.

So I suggest putting all your cards on the table now. Just tell us what the price will be. Just tell us if there will be discounts for paying customer of the old Sonar and so on.

Clearing the air now will help you and the user base as well.

Why are you so angry and disappointed? Pretty sure you are welcome to move to your other 5 Daws you "Own." Using that loosely in context of what youve said with your own mouth. 

100% of our permanent family members here already agrees on a fee. Some of us has even suggested and asked for this in multiple topics to happen so that we can support the DAW and keep growing by throwing resources in to the DAW, cause we have seen the potential it always had. 

If you are really unhappy in not wanting to pay for the DAW or any other software as you have stated, then dont use them. 

Come on people! You can not run a business without making a profit to put towards the growth of your company. Every resource cost money. The staff that works 100% day in and day out on this - needs to get paid too. Every bug that gets fixed, cost money. Theres litterally manpower that goes into this and i am pretty sure you wont get up every morning and go work for free | or | do something for free and dont get appreciated for your hardwork. 

I am pretty sure everyone agrees with me on this. 

Lets keep showing our support and appreciation towards our them. I too am sometimes unhappy with certain features, but guess what? I always appreciate what they do and give.  We cant always have things our way just because we feel so.

Thats the reality. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, Teksonik said:

Personally, whenever a company starts preparing the ground in advance and enters with all this flowery language about vision statements and how much they care about the users of their software, they're gonna pull the rug and are trying to convince me it's not gonna hurt when it happens. I'm not sure when and how they're gonna do it, but it will happen.

43 minutes ago, Teksonik said:

They can't because of what I mentioned before, especially considering CbB effectively has no killer features which would make sure it will be a seller and it hasn't had that mind share since it went into the whole "rent-to-own" scheme years ago. The most they can hope atm is look at how people react at "the news" and see how they can act in accordance so the least amount of profit loss and damage control is necessary.

• Like 1

So to be clear, you don't like the possible direction going forward, you don't find anything in Cakewalk to be a killer feature, your last group of posts have been nothing but critical of the software and forum in some way... why are you still here? I would have moved onto a "better" DAW years ago.

• Like 8
  • Great Idea 1

Just now, Terry Kelley said:

I want a product that once I pay money for it, if I never contact the company again, the software will still work.

But Terry times change... technology changes.
As things develop your purchased products wont work.
Example VST2 is soon obsolete.

We could say the same for O.S. too?

• Like 1

I said want. And it's not impossible but certainly unlikely. And if I disconnect from the internet Windows will continue to work even if it never connects again. The fact that companies do it now doesn't mean it's desirable.

Get ready, your heated seats, remote start and entertainment system in your car will be subscription.

Want.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

"But Terry times change... technology changes.
As things develop your purchased products wont work"

Not true. At least for Windows, which has awesome backward compatibility. I still use a couple of smaller pieces of software developed ~20 years ago on Win11, where companies who developed them are loooong gone.  My main concern is of ability to open older projects if needed, when the software license is purchased.  Considering I have proper machine with proper hardware / OS that supported that version. 

I am with Terry on this one. 

25 minutes ago, garybrun said:

Example VST2 is soon obsolete.

Obsolete? There are not many DAWs that do not support VST2 anymore! On the contrary there are many that still support 32-bit!

Also there are still a couple of plugin providers that are not yet on VST3!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

So to be clear, you don't like the possible direction going forward

There's no possible direction going forwards because so far Bandlab doesn't seem to give a straight answer when asked about pricing. As a few people have said, this opens a world of "what if" and its criticism is well deserved every time it happens.

30 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

you don't find anything in Cakewalk to be a killer feature

Name five features present in the free version of Cakewalk that would make it good seller and differentiate it from any other paid DAW in the current market. While I do find certain aspects of Cakewalk to be things which no DAW have implemented the way it does to be considered good features, I'm talking about features that you'd be hard pressed to find replacements for. As an example, one of the killer features of REAPER is how customizable and flexible it is and you'd be hard pressed to find another DAW which can do what it does the way it does it.

37 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

your last group of posts have been nothing but critical of the software and forum in some way

Why should I be happy about the prospect of a tool I chose to use being taken from me by a potential subscription model or fair price offering which only fits a small demographic from a specific country which is not mine?

40 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

why are you still here?

Because if everything was fine and swell with Cakewalk, you wouldn't hear from me otherwise.

41 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

I would have moved onto a "better" DAW years ago.

Likewise, but atm Cakewalk is this better DAW, so I can't do much about it.

• Like 2

Come on people, bandlab gave us 5 years of free updates on a free DAW.  That should earn some brownie points after the Gibson fiasco.  Before that Cakewalk treated customer pretty good, even with having to pay.

it will be interesting to see how having to pay will affect the customer base.  We already have a lot of squealing and the new old Sonar company has already addressed some of this.  Personally, I could give a monkey’s fornication about customizing the colors or transcription.  Bug fixes and features are worth paying for - to me.  You might have other ideas but bandlab has to take it all into consideration.

Sonar’s Achilles heel for mass adaption is no Mac version.  Most music producers are on Mac, so that Gibson had to include 2 light DAWs with their hardware.  But for the home producer Windows was great since many already had the computer and PCs are still cheaper.  Hopefully they’ll get something going with the Apple world, even if it isn’t Sonar.

what I’m looking for is Sonar as a professional DAW and hopefully refurbished synths & Effects.  I’d love me a slick Rapture Pro redux and all my old Cake effects bundled and refurbished.  Many of those are superb. they just need to bring in a good reverb.

As far as company’s integrity, at the beginning of digital age I got a presonus fire station, which was on FireWire but with Yamahas mlan protocol.  An update bricked it.  Yamaha sent me an i88 to try but couldn’t run the new software on my old computer.  Do you think they paid for my presonus?

overall, I think Cakewalk has been about upfront about what is going on.  Or at least as much as possible.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1