You Shaped Hole in My Heart - new original

daryl1968

Hi nice forum folk I hope you are all well.

Here's a new song that Ed Kocol (Bapu) and I wrote and the fab James Griffiths (JamesG1213) played on. Baps also plays bass and the current Mrs Daryl1968 sings backing vocals.

Nits and crits welcome - lyrics below link

You Shaped Hole in My Heart
Written by Ed Kocol and Daryl Greenway
Guitar James Griffiths
Bass Ed Kocol
Vocals, keyboards etc by Staypress
V1
Starting from nothing was what we had
We never saw it as good or bad
For better or worse, we gave it our all
Just how could we fall?
V2
Same old story we wouldn't last
But all the glory is in the past
It's you and me in heaven on earth
We'll show them what we're worth
Prechorus
But I need to speak my mind
I don't mean to be unkind
Chorus
i told you right from the start, there's a you shaped hole in my heart
V3
We kept calm and carried on
Creating the words to our song
Verse after verse continued to flow
As we put on our show
Prechorus
Chorus

Bloody lovely solo here
Chorus to end

• Like 7

Daryl,

Good song, very upbeat and enjoyable listen.   Performances are all very well done.

No crits other than the toms seems a bit boomy/ringy in the mix.   If using SD3 try the envelope settings in the kit piece properties for taming.     Otherwise good.

Regards

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 4/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, markno999 said:

Daryl,

Good song, very upbeat and enjoyable listen.   Performances are all very well done.

No crits other than the toms seems a bit boomy/ringy in the mix.   If using SD3 try the envelope settings in the kit piece properties for taming.     Otherwise good.

Regards

Thanks so much Mark. 

Did Bapu pay you to mention the ringing tom thing lol? We had a 'disagreement' on it - he (and you) were probably right  :)

8 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Thanks so much Mark. 

Did Bapu pay you to mention the ringing tom thing lol? We had a 'disagreement' on it - he (and you) were probably right  :)

Daryl,  no bribery was involved😀.     I am a fan of 70's tom sounds so like them dry and no ring.   It just stood out because the rest of the track is so clean.    If you are going for a vibe with the toms holding out longer you could probably pull back the envelope if using SD3 and then use a nice reverb with HPF to have them ring a little longer without the whole drum head ringing.   Just a thought.  

Regards

• Great Idea 1

16 minutes ago, markno999 said:

Daryl,  no bribery was involved😀.     I am a fan of 70's tom sounds so like them dry and no ring.   It just stood out because the rest of the track is so clean.    If you are going for a vibe with the toms holding out longer you could probably pull back the envelope if using SD3 and then use a nice reverb with HPF to have them ring a little longer without the whole drum head ringing.   Just a thought.  

Regards

yeah this tom was from a weird drum sound set from Battery (Native Instruments) - I'm not sure what I was thinking.

This song started very differently to how it ended up and that tom was a hanger on from the previous incarnation 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:24 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Daryl, you and Ed have cooked up a terrific song!  The words and music are a perfect pair, and all the performances are polished.  You have raised the bar, yet again, for the rest of us ;)

Thanks so much Lynn. We must be overdue a colab mate.....

• Like 1