Presonus Studio One 6 Professional Upgrade from Professional/Producer (all versions)

cclarry

So I found out that I purchased Studio One Artist back on January 16, 2011. I found the documents and the files on an old hard drive that is sitting in a drawer.  it will cost me $49.95 to upgrade to Presonus Studio One 6 Artist.  For that amount, I am willing to add Studio One Artist 6 to my Laptop and play around with it.  I will not add it to my main Desktop PC with Cakewalk on it.  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

One thing not often mentioned with the Chord Track is you can also adjust both existing audio/MIDI to conform to changes made to the chord track (conform loops, adjust key, etc.). This was one reason I was skeptical with the EZKeys excitement. I gave a couple demos (grand pianos) a try, but bare bones they were lackluster. I ended up grabbing Scaler 2 instead. Melodyne and SO are more joined at the hip than anyone else I know of, why shifting audio around with the chord track is pretty seamless.

The Projects page is another noteworthy feature for mastering and album compilation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ALC said:

Currently, it's Studio One Artist that's bundled with some hardware.  The free version is Studio One Prime.  This is the case at least since S1 4.  I don't know about before.

Not really. You could always buy Artist since version 1. This is not like Ableton Live Lite, Bitwig 8-track or Cubase LE which you can only get with some pieces of hardware and the manufacturer has to give you essentially free upgrades to the next version, since this is not software you can buy (I can't speak for Bitwig, but Steinberg and Ableton will give you free upgrades to the next Cubase LE and Live Lite versions). Studio One Prime was introduced in version 3. It is essentially useless if you consider all the limitations it has. But Presonus is known for these strange business models like having a barebones DAW which was not much better than REAPER in v1 and v2, then introduced an intermediate version which was essentially the Artist version with two add-ons you could get separately, then to having a useless free version and what it should've had since version 1. I guess you can't take old strange practices from what is essentially a team of old Cubase devs.

What I love about it is that it's just so darn easy.   Lots of drop and drag.  You want to add a VSTi, then just drop and drag it.  You want to add an FX buss?  Then just drop an effect in an empty space in the mix view.  It's all very easy-peasy.    With all of your experience on Cakewalk I think you would be up and running in no time.  As a huge plus there are tons of great tuts on youtube.  Another plus is that there is 30 day demo so if you decide to try it you'll have plenty of time to get used to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Not really. You could always buy Artist since version 1. This is not like Ableton Live Lite, Bitwig 8-track or Cubase LE which you can only get with some pieces of hardware and the manufacturer has to give you essentially free upgrades to the next version, since this is not software you can buy (I can't speak for Bitwig, but Steinberg and Ableton will give you free upgrades to the next Cubase LE and Live Lite versions). Studio One Prime was introduced in version 3. It is essentially useless if you consider all the limitations it has. But Presonus is known for these strange business models like having a barebones DAW which was not much better than REAPER in v1 and v2, then introduced an intermediate version which was essentially the Artist version with two add-ons you could get separately, then to having a useless free version and what it should've had since version 1. I guess you can't take old strange practices from what is essentially a team of old Cubase devs.

I was responding to a poster that who thought Artist was free.

BTW, IMO, Prime is actually quite functional as a standalone DAW as it provides a lot of functionality for recording audio and virtual instruments (only the built-in ones).  It just doesn't have VST support.  It's the DAW I used during COVID shutdown for a group of students to record.  I would say it's the best free DAW that works on Mac and Windows (but only if you don't need VST).

44 minutes ago, ptheisen said:

It appears that Studio One Prime stopped at version 5.something, no version 6 for that.

S1 6 Prime was introduced soon after Pro and Artist were, evidenced by this: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/uploads/bronto/files/presonus-so6-compare-versions_1_.pdf.

I can't find it on the current web page anymore.  If they discontinued it, that is unfortunate.

Update: actually, the above is evidence that they intended to release S1 6 Prime at some point.  I don't know if they ever did.

Edited by ALC

3 minutes ago, ALC said:

BTW, if you're looking for Artist, you could pick up the iOne interface for $69 (currently on sale) and get it as part of the bundle (along with Studio Magic plug-in suite).

It's weird that getting an audio interface with Artist bundled in is cheaper than just buying Studio One Artist by itself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ALC said:

I was responding to a poster that who thought Artist was free.

BTW, IMO, Prime is actually quite functional as a standalone DAW as it provides a lot of functionality for recording audio and virtual instruments (only the built-in ones).  It just doesn't have VST support.  It's the DAW I used during COVID shutdown for a group of students to record.  I would say it's the best free DAW that works on Mac and Windows (but only if you don't need VST).

The biggest issue with studio one prine for me is the lack of compressor. 

1 hour ago, ALC said:

S1 6 Prime was introduced soon after Pro and Artist were, evidenced by this: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/uploads/bronto/files/presonus-so6-compare-versions_1_.pdf.

I can't find it on the current web page anymore.  If they discontinued it, that is unfortunate.

Update: actually, the above is evidence that they intended to release S1 6 Prime at some point.  I don't know if they ever did.

Studio One Prime is now only available in the Studio One 6 Professional demo available from your PreSonus account. Don't understand why PreSonus stopped promoting it with a separate download. It is not explained on the website. 🙄

https://my.presonus.com/login (the Pro demo reverts to Prime, or you can revert to Prime at any time)

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-Prime-Add-Ons (includes compressor)

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/compare-versions (lists Prime features vs. the other editions)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Studio One Prime is now only available in the Studio One 6 Professional demo available from your PreSonus account. Don't understand why PreSonus stopped promoting it with a separate download. It is not explained on the website. 🙄

Thanks.  Turns out that it’s all the same package, just with different features turned on.  When you activate, there’s a choice of Sphere, an existing purchased license, the full version for a time limited demo period, or Prime.  So, you can just activate Prime directly if you want.  Glad Prime is still available (not for me but for being able to point others to it).

Edited by ALC

20 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

The biggest issue with studio one prine for me is the lack of compressor. 

The biggest issue for me in Prime is that Presonus removed every feature you would want to try in their DAW to see if it's worth purchasing later and turned into an ordinary featureless product. Couple that with the fact they force you to jump some hoops to have access to it and you'll find little reasons to use it when you compare it to another free alternatives like CbB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The biggest issue for me in Prime is that Presonus removed every feature you would want to try in their DAW to see if it's worth purchasing later and turned into an ordinary featureless product. Couple that with the fact they force you to jump some hoops to have access to it and you'll find little reasons to use it when you compare it to another free alternatives like CbB.

I found it useful as a teaching tool. It was much easier to introduce basic concepts to my students with prime than more featured. DAWs

Just now, dubdisciple said:

I found it useful as a teaching tool. It was much easier to introduce basic concepts to my students with prime than more featured. DAWs

The only compressor you have available is useless and there's no way one could learn basic concepts on that. This video demonstrates this well. While it is showing v5, the only thing they did for v6 Prime was fix the button labels.