How many users does CbB have?

Billy86

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

As I have said, Bandlab has more than made up for the $500 (or less, if there were loyalty discounts; not sure) by giving everyone five years of a quality DAW. 

Didn't a lot of people get screwed out of 'lifetime upgrades' that paid for them? I doubt they would agree with you.

It would be one thing if the product totally went away, but it didn't. In my opinion the new owners should honor that commitment.

They honor the fact that we can still access and use everything else we paid for with the old company, why not that?

Please don't answer. That was a rhetorical question. It's just food for thought/thinking out loud/other side of the coin ... you know what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 4

On 3/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

It's past 30M as of today 😅 With BandLab the user acquisition growth is exponential. Of course that's looking at the mobile user base which is obviously massively higher than desktops. 

Cakewalk has also grown by many orders of magnitude of course, but not close to that ballpark. Were adding deeper BandLab integration however so we will continue to grow as more people learn about Cakewalk.

That's great news, so  happy to hear. Long live Cakewalk.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, Starship Krupa said:

There are of course no plans to lock anybody out. BL have said that registered and validated installations of CbB will continue to function. And given their past behavior in regard to how you can still download and install SONAR, I don't expect that to change. CbB will be a legacy app just like SONAR.

I used to think this and even said as much. However there has been some more recent discussion based on quotes that seem to be saying that at some point all versions of CbB will not be usable, including the last version (yet to be released).

That being said, the final details have yet to be revealed. So I see no harm in waiting until then.

Who knows, maybe the details will include something for everyone at a price everyone can afford!  🙂  

-----------

Reposting this because the discussion took a minor point in the original post and elevated it into a major issue.

Edited by User 905133
fixed a typo ("version" to "versions"); fixed an editing error; reformatted post

^^ this.

We really need a FAQ about this so it doesn't come up every 3 minutes and we spend 4 pages going over it once again. 😕

Please... let's not dwell on this (again), but to set the record straight before it starts to spiral off, the facts are these:

Gibson owned the Cakewalk company. Gibson closed down the Cakewalk company. Any deals or debts or business you had with the Cakewalk company died when Gibson shut it down, including those ill-fated Lifetime Deals.

Bandlab bought the plans to make the SONAR DAW, and all of the rights to use the name, images, etc. That's it. They didn't inherit any financial debts or assets from the Cakewalk company; that is dead and gone. It's a new company that just bought the plans to make the software.

Despite the names being similar, and it being functionally similar, and the staff that was fired by Gibson being re-hired by Bandlab to continue work on this DAW, it is not the product sold to you by the Cakewalk company that was shut down by Gibson. It's a new product made with the plans purchased from Gibson.

They opted to make this previously paid product free for 5 years, basically giving everyone who had the rug pulled out from them by Gibson with no notice a lifeline. Additionally, despite not getting anything from it, Bandlab hosts our old paid Cakewalk products on their servers, and allows the previously locked add-ons to be used with their current DAW. Not a bad deal for those of us burned by Gibson's decision, I think.

It's now once again transitioning into a paid product, owned by Bandlab. Despite the similar name, this is not SONAR by Cakewalk, Inc. and has nothing to do with those previous offers from Gibson.

This has been repeated quite a few times on the forum now as I said, and it always ends up as a multi-page disaster area. Please let this die here. This thread was about the number of users CbB has, so let's get back onto track if we can.

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 3

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Didn't a lot of people get screwed out of 'lifetime upgrades' that paid for them? I doubt they would agree with you.

Why is it so hard to understand that lifetime upgrades doesn't mean your lifetime?

In my opinion the new owners should honor that commitment.

Why is it so hard to understand that the new owners didn't make that commitment?

Go cry to the company that did.

Oh, wait ...

They honor the fact that we can still access and use everything else we paid for with the old company, why not that?

So in other words, BandLab has bent over backwards in demonstrating goodwill even though they have no obligation to do that.

It's just food for thought/thinking out loud/other side of the coin ... you know what I mean.

Not very clear thinking.

I'm really disappointed, man. I thought you were a lot smarter than this but you're sounding just like all the other entitlement-mentality crybabies who can't let it go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

43 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I used to think this and even said as much. However there has been some more recent discussion based on quotes that seem to be saying that at some point all version of CbB will not be usable, including the last version (yet to be released).

Yeah, I dunno. At some point, but what point? As you say, and as the devs have said, it's still up in the air. I would find it....out of character for BandLab to just pull the plug on CbB.

Too many would see it as proof that the reason they put the 6 month validation in CbB was so they could eventually "force" the userbase to start paying for it.

1 hour ago, Craig Anderton said:

They didn't make the commitment. They bought intellectual property, not a business model.

I can understand both sides. It's a business decision though. They could honor that if they wished to. Again, not trying to stir the pot or argue. Just giving my thoughts on it in hopes that maybe someone with the authority to make that calls sees all the discussions about it and considers what happened.

I have nothing bad to say at all about the current state of CbB or the people behind it all now. I've always felt it was worth paying for now that they have taken over and have absolutely no problem with that at all.

I put it right up there equal with S1 in terms of stability now, and above in a lot of other ways. I'm glad it's still going strong and hope it continues to do so for a very long time.

P.s. Good to see you here. I haven't been on the S1 forum in years. Haven't had time to even touch my DAW in about 2 years. I'm getting the itch again though.

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yeah, I dunno. At some point, but what point? As you say, and as the devs have said, it's still up in the air. I would find it....out of character for BandLab to just pull the plug on CbB.

The threat is out there! Apokalypse now! 😆

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Too many would see it as proof that the reason they put the 6 month validation in CbB was so they could eventually "force" the userbase to start paying for it.

This has been clear from the beginning! I never bought their flimsy excuses! 😉

Edited by MarcL
  • Like 1
  • Meh 1

18 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

I'm really disappointed, man. I thought you were a lot smarter than this but you're sounding just like all the other entitlement-mentality crybabies who can't let it go.

Thanks B.D.. I can always count on you for your honest opinion. That's why I like you. 😁

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...

Related News:

The latest update to Positive Grid's Bias FX 2 v.2.7 does not work at all in Cakewalk.

I wrote to their tech support, and they suggested that I change DAWs to one of their "approved" programs.

I told them I would sooner change my guitar effects program than buy and learn a new DAW!

I also said they might lose a lot of money if they didn't make their app Cakewalk-compatible.
For example, I was going to buy their Jimi Hendrix pack (now on sale for $49), but changed my mind once I learned my Bias FX had stopped working. If just 10,000 Cakewalk users felt the same way, Positive Grid would lose half a million $ on this Hendrix pack alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger W said:

I told them I would sooner change my guitar effects program than buy and learn a new DAW!

While I am philosophically opposed to hyper-partisan "cancel culture" debates in the political arena, I applaud personal boycotts!!!!

Edited by User 905133
correction