Jump to content
Morten Saether

[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.05 Early Access 1

Recommended Posts

@Skyline_UK @chris.r @Bapu are you all using the latest version of LMC, v1.1.0?

I found that with that update, v1.1.0, this issue came along as an added extra¬†ūüėČ

This is the reason I have remained on v1.0.3 which does not exhibit this issue (for me anyway). There was a thread on the IK forums where users were trying to explain the issue with v1.1.0 to IK, the thread was eventually closed and deleted, problem solved I guess ūüėĀ

I have and have had zero issues in Studio One Pro with LMC v1.0.3, however when I updated to the latest, v1.1.0 when it was released I experienced this issue, so I rolled back to v1.0.3 as it was obvious after the IK forums thread that nothing was going to be done about the issue.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ensconced said:

@Skyline_UK @chris.r @Bapu are you all using the latest version of LMC, v1.1.0?

OMG! @ensconced yes, I just installed everything latest versions...:) Thank you! I'm definitely gonna check out 1.0.3

Edited by chris.r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Ok checked one more thing. In addition to what I said above I thought to check if plugin balancing is enabled in cakewalk and indeed on the desktop pc it was off, must have been switched off with an update at some point probably as I usually like to have it on. But on my laptop balancing is on and I have to raise buffers to 512 so yes, wavelab makes it somehow to play smoothly at 128.

Hmm are you sure that you are running with identical settings in Wavelab? If all you have is a single plugin in a track there isn't anything the DAW can do to parallelize the load across multiple cores. That work would have to be done by the plugin itself. I know that some DAW's process internally at a higher buffer size but stream at a lower size so perhaps that is fooling you into thinking the plugin is running at lower latency than it is. Even our plugin load balancing wont help with a single plugin in a bin.

Please do your test in a minimal environment. One track and just the single plugin in the track to eliminate false positives. Watch the core performance with the plugin bypassed and with the plugin unbypassed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if this update is compatible with the latest OVox update.  I'm referring to the one that Waves warns CW users not to use.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hmm are you sure that you are running with identical settings in Wavelab? If all you have is a single plugin in a track there isn't anything the DAW can do to parallelize the load across multiple cores. That work would have to be done by the plugin itself. I know that some DAW's process internally at a higher buffer size but stream at a lower size so perhaps that is fooling you into thinking the plugin is running at lower latency than it is. Even our plugin load balancing wont help with a single plugin in a bin.

Please do your test in a minimal environment. One track and just the single plugin in the track to eliminate false positives. Watch the core performance with the plugin bypassed and with the plugin unbypassed.

Exactly! I was trying to dig deeper into settings just to see if I didn't miss anything but the settings are the same for both, same driver same file with only Lurssen on it.

So I decided to make a few more tests and here are the results:
Cakewalk 128 - total no go (instant dropout stopped audio engine code 1)
Cakewalk 256 - crackles, cpu utilisation (as per windows task manager) 42%
          from Cakewalk Performance module: audio processing 23% (max 89), engine load 90-120% average (max 158), late buffers: over 2000 after the whole song
Cakewalk 512 - plays fine, cpu utilisation 27% in task manager
          Cakewalk performance shows: audio processing 12% (max 46), engine load around 45-60% (max 82), no late buffers

Wavelab same file, only Lurssen: 128 - cpu utilisation 14% (without Lurssen 9%) from the task manager - plays smooth with balanced load across cores

Now the same file in standalone Lurssen:
128 - heavy crackle, totally unusable sound, cpu utilisation 31% taskman
256 - light crackling, cpu 36%
512 - plays fine, cpu 24%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI:)

 

Dynamic Waveform is a real timesaver, it's fantastic! Just one thing:

 

If I switch the edit filter to clip gain, I can switch(+) between track volume and clip gain. It would be very nice to be able to switch between clip edit and clip gain edit, so I can move some clip piece and with hitting "+" edit it's gain. for now you have to move the mouse a long way to the left and switch to either clip or clip gain.

 

Bassman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SHIFT+right mouse click toggles between the track's current and previous edit filter settings

 

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI:)

 

@scook

 

>>>>SHIFT+right mouse click toggles between the track's current and previous edit filter settings

 

There's always something new to learn:)

This is great to know!

Thanks,

Bassman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lynn said:

I'm wondering if this update is compatible with the latest OVox update.  I'm referring to the one that Waves warns CW users not to use.

Yes, there's a fix in Early Access specifically that addressed a crash with OVox.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

for now you have to move the mouse a long way to the left and switch to either clip or clip gain.

 

Bassman.

 

If you press the mouse wheel (acting as the mouse center button), the Tool HUD with the Edit Filter appears right at the cursor, you don¬īt need to move the mouse at all.

Edited by JoseC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JoseC

 

That's another possibility, but Shift + Right Click is imho the best option.....

 

Thanks;)

Bassman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is there a way to quickly select a portion of the wave file and simply pull up or down the clip gain only for the selected portion without the extra steps of creating the nodes, changing tools etc?

Edited by chris.r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Is there a way to quickly select a portion of the wave file and simply pull up or down the clip gain only for the selected portion without the extra steps of creating the nodes, changing tools etc?

CTRL + Clicking on a clip will quickly access the clip gain envelope

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

CTRL + Clicking on a clip will quickly access the clip gain envelope

Hmm, ctrl+clicking didn't work for me, it did select/unselect the clip though ;) but... ctrl+drag vertically did work once I make sure that I'm clicking in the lower half of the clip. It did move the whole clip gain though and not just the selected portion.

What I've managed to find out it that when I switch Edit Filter to Clip Automation>Gain then I can move now just the selected portion of clip gain with a single drag, but... after that I'm loosing the selection and have to establish it again and again, if I want to make any corrections to it. And it was difficult to find the right spot where to grab the envelope if the envelope is really low.

But the other problem is that switching Edit Filter to Clip Gain makes the waveform dimmed. It would be great if, when focus is on Clips, ctrl+drag vertically moves just the selected portion of the envelope if there is any selection, or the whole envelope if no selection.

Edited by chris.r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, chris.r said:

It would be great if, when focus is on Clips, ctrl+drag vertically moves just the selected portion of the envelope if there is any selection, or the whole envelope if no selection.

Huh...   I like that idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like this?

kQOy0my.gif

The gif shows

  • clicking the mouse wheel to bring up the HUD
  • selecting clip gain
  • making a selection with click-drag
  • changing clip gain for the selection using click-drag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Hmm, ctrl+clicking didn't work for me, it did select/unselect the clip though ;) but... ctrl+drag vertically did work once I make sure that I'm clicking in the lower half of the clip. It did move the whole clip gain though and not just the selected portion.

What I've managed to find out it that when I switch Edit Filter to Clip Automation>Gain then I can move now just the selected portion of clip gain with a single drag, but... after that I'm loosing the selection and have to establish it again and again, if I want to make any corrections to it. And it was difficult to find the right spot where to grab the envelope if the envelope is really low.

But the other problem is that switching Edit Filter to Clip Gain makes the waveform dimmed. It would be great if, when focus is on Clips, ctrl+drag vertically moves just the selected portion of the envelope if there is any selection, or the whole envelope if no selection.

Sounds like you're clicking the clip header instead of the main body of the clip like this:

 

clip gain.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Sounds like you're clicking the clip header instead of the main body of the clip like this:

 

clip gain.gif

Important to note here as well is:  if you have Maximize Waveform chosen (no header displaying) it seems to be necessary to have the SmartTool cursor in the lower half of the clip in order for this to work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Interesting, that mode isn't a panacea for all performance issues since it only improves scheduling efficiency. We are continuing to research performance improvements and this was one experiment. What latency are you running at when you see this - does it improve if you raise the latency? Contact me via PM and we can try and triangulate it.

It seems to be working okay here although I'd need to use for longer to make sure. Not quite sure if the scores below are an improvement or not but it plays okay

( 12 core  Ryzen 9 3900x )

30 track project with 20 instances of Kontakt running various Libraries and a couple of other VSTI's and about a dozen mix plugins

image.png.98eb3eae01a56aa27278caca6df1a7b5.png  Fully loaded project @ 256 sample buffer on  ThreadScheduling Model 2

 

image.png.85c93b9cfd918ce06bfb19b2a944c4d8.png Same project with Threadscheduling Model 3

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...