Studio One 6.6 Released

Brian Lawler

4 hours ago, Bapu said:

Imagine a world where I say........

Installed!

Imagine no more.

Done and dusted.

Beware at the fair.

I was a HUGE Studio One fan, that all has come to an end with the release of this and recent maneuvers by PreSonus.

After 9 years away I'm coming back to Cakewalk\Sonar, sad really, so many things left behind.

If it doesn't work out with Sonar, I'll give REAPER another try, I left it the same time I jumped ship from SONAR Platinum, sort of a 2 for 1 thing going on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

It did make me find an odd nugget right at the very beginning of the MSoundFactory tutorial video though (never watched it before). The second sentence in the video... "Most likely our last instrument..." It has been out 3+ years already and didn't know that.

I think that MSoundFactory represents everything Vojtech could think of to put in an instrument. Samples, generators, FX, it's all there. And it's an ongoing project with new instruments and libraries being released. He's putting all of his synth attention into new libraries and instruments for that rather than doing much to upgrade MPowerSynth.

As for Studio One 6.6, I just started up Studio One Artist 6.5 and it updated itself to 6.6. When I first upgraded my Studio One 5 license to Studio One 6, it was just plain 6 with no dots. I'm impressed with what I've gotten for $50. From what I've seen of it, if I had to switch from Sonar to S1 Artist, there aren't many features I'd miss, and some that I would welcome. That's why I think that it, not Studio One Pro, is Sonar's real competition.

8 hours ago, Resonant Serpent said:

If you cancel the hybrid subscription you keep a license that you can't update for S1, but you lose access to all of the addons. So, to open a song made with the S1 sub, you'd have to pay again to have access if those are included in your song.

Hmm... Seems I didn't read the fine-print. Yes, that does sounds a bit rubbish, and also very much like why I don't like the all-or-nothing subscription model. It's possible to mitigate by using the core plugin suite and/or third-party plugins only, but losing access to the extras without an option to buy separately sounds like a dark pattern to me.

11 hours ago, Lee D said:

I have to assume they will get rid of the normal professional license which costs way more since it makes no sense to buy it instead of Studio One+ Hybrid...

It seems so on the face of it, but it depends: I don't think they release a major version every year, which possibly makes a standalone Pro licence cheaper in the long run as you don't have to pay the subscription fee every year.

Also, they might review feedback from this move to determine whether or not sub-only is a feasible route.

11 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

It depends. Someone said on another forum that the way the details are written, if you stop the Studio One + Hybrid subscription, you get a Pro perpetual license, but you can't update to the latest version, for example from 6.5 to 6.6. Seems to me similar to the Bitwig Studio subscription model.

... and/or WUP-lite. They promise bugfix patches (e.g. 1.1 -> 1.1.1), but why would they release such patches for past releases (e.g. 1.1.2, when 1.2 is live)?

I like S1, but I'm not sure about this direction they're moving in.

3 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

As someone who has had perpetual licences since v3, this is probably their worst move I've seen and I'm a Studio One user and fan. Look at the Youtube comments on the video Presonus posted about this update, really says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmPtTyX_1eE&t=17s

It looks like people are upset that getting this new soft synth is only possible via subscription. Are there other features that are subscriber-only?

• Like 1

So perpetual from the get-go is ~300-400 bucks.

Studio One+ Hybrid - is around 200 and you get the Studio One Perpetual at the end of the sub.

What's the point of buying perpetual if you can get it for cheaper with the sub? What am I missing?

Edit:

2 minutes ago, Resonant Serpent said:

You can do the "hybrid subscription" and get access to them, but when your sub runs out you'll get a license to S1 that can't be updated, and it won't work with any of these addons

Ah, there it is.

Edited by Kirean
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

It looks like people are upset that getting this new soft synth is only possible via subscription. Are there other features that are subscriber-only?

Audio Batch Converter, Presence XT Editor, PreSonus Symphonic Orchestra, Deep Flight ONE, Ampire High Density, Channel Strip Collection, CTC-1, Retro Mix Legends, and the sample libraries could all be purchased with a permanent license in the past. Now, you can only get these through the subscription. You can do the "hybrid subscription" and get access to them, but when your sub runs out you'll get a license to S1 that can't be updated, and it won't work with any of these addons. You'll have to resubscribe to access them in any song.

The shop page in 6.6 still shows them for sale, but I'm waiting on word from Presonus if this is just an oversight, or if these products can be purchased. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Resonant Serpent said:

The shop page in 6.6 still shows them for sale, but I'm waiting on word from Presonus if this is just an oversight, or if these products can be purchased. 

Some plugin stores still seem to still carry those.

I am on SO version 5 still since I hardly use it. One thing about it does interest me and that's the mastering section and Tunecore. Even so, I am not seeing a huge gain uploading through the DAW software .vs uploading a finished track seperate. In fact for me I like to have the track outside the DAW to hear what it sounds like in the real world before I upload it, so this could potentially be a disadvantage for me at least. SO and others have been tapped into soundloud for awhile though I seldom use the features.

I was mainly wondering if Tunecore makes it easier than SC to sell content? SC makes you find tax forms and are very vague about how to go about it, Sure they are, works in their favor. What advantage is there to uploading to tuncore via SO compared to simply exporting the track and uploading it?

I see many software makers trying to pinch us into a subscription. It isn't only SO. They want a determined or semi determined return to report to the owners. What they fail to see is many will try it and never go back to it again. If this was the only option in daw land it would be different. It isn't.

If I had large multiple projects in SO and clients dependent on those mixes, then yeah I would be over a barrel. Probably no more than someone using PT. I'll pay something to upgrade to something I can keep. 

1 hour ago, Kirean said:

So perpetual from the get-go is ~300-400 bucks.

Studio One+ Hybrid - is around 200 and you get the Studio One Perpetual at the end of the sub.

What's the point of buying perpetual if you can get it for cheaper with the sub? What am I missing?

If you renew every year, you pay ~200 per year.

Perpetual is ~300-400 for the first purchase. Then ~150 for an upgrade, which typically doesn't come out every year. (This assumes they'll continue with upgrade pricing. When CorelDRAW went sub, upgrades were discontinued; you can still buy a perpetual for full-price though. But, it's important to note these are different markets.)

It's arguable you don't need to renew every year as you'll get a perpetual for the core product. But if you use any sub-only features, my assumption is you also won't be able to open your projects.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I am on SO version 5 still since I hardly use it. One thing about it does interest me and that's the mastering section and Tunecore. Even so, I am not seeing a huge gain uploading through the DAW software .vs uploading a finished track seperate. In fact for me I like to have the track outside the DAW to hear what it sounds like in the real world before I upload it, so this could potentially be a disadvantage for me at least. SO and others have been tapped into soundloud for awhile though I seldom use the features.

I was mainly wondering if Tunecore makes it easier than SC to sell content? SC makes you find tax forms and are very vague about how to go about it, Sure they are, works in their favor. What advantage is there to uploading to tuncore via SO compared to simply exporting the track and uploading it?

I see many software makers trying to pinch us into a subscription. It isn't only SO. They want a determined or semi determined return to report to the owners. What they fail to see is many will try it and never go back to it again. If this was the only option in daw land it would be different. It isn't.

If I had large multiple projects in SO and clients dependent on those mixes, then yeah I would be over a barrel. Probably no more than someone using PT. I'll pay something to upgrade to something I can keep. 

I wouldn't touch Tunecore, a lot of controversy around them. I don't know all the details but a quick YouTube search will show you. 

• Like 2

Take any given DAW and look at what it costs over a longer period of time , 5 years minimum.  It’s pointless to only look at what it costs for 1 year. 

I’ve been test driving Studio one along with Bitwig, Cubase and Mixcraft.
Studio one and Cubase are the closest to Sonar in features but possibly double the price? Of course I don’t know yet but that’s what it’s looking like to me. And no smart tool is a deal breaker for me.  As said above you have to look at the price of the Artist versions for a better comparison. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

What people seem most upset isn't about the Artst/Pro/+ split, but that Professional users can no longer buy the addons they bought in the past. The only way to get the addons is through a subscription.

There is a big opportunity for customers to get the company to change course.  If enough customers can unite and voice a clear and consistent opposition to the company's new direction, there's a chance they may listen. If you go back 15 years, companies largely didn't take consumers calling for boycotts or defections seriously, but in recent years, companies are seeing how a rapidly growing opposition to a new strategy reflected in social media posts can be a red flag that they are pursuing the wrong strategic direction. 

If someone  who feels strongly wants to  do something like create a Change.org or other petition, I think it could go a long way. Of course, we have recent examples of developers in this industry changing course rather quickly after customers voiced strong dissent -- most notably with Waves. Anyhow, if someone wants to take the initiative, I'd sign on. I own a license of Studio Pro 3 and have been waiting on BandLab to announce their pricing model/decision for the new Sonar before deciding if I want to transition over to Studio One Pro or not. This move by Presonus makes me LESS prone to upgrading my license with them. Hopefully Bandlab is watching this unfold and taking notes. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

8 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

As someone who has had perpetual licences since v3, this is probably their worst move I've seen and I'm a Studio One user and fan. Look at the Youtube comments on the video Presonus posted about this update, really says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmPtTyX_1eE&t=17s

People also let them have it on Facebook.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Lawler said:

Cubase 13 Pro crossgrade is still $209 at BestService .  Looks like a better deal now.  Wish Presonus announced this while the $20 BS coupons were still good.

One positive about the Yamaha take over is no longer needing a hardware dongle and license 3 machines.  To me licensing is the #1 choice in buying software.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Lawler said:

Cubase 13 Pro crossgrade is still $209 at BestService .  Looks like a better deal now.  Wish Presonus announced this while the $20 BS coupons were still good.

Glad I was able to get CB13 - learning now. I’m liking it so far.  I just haven’t gelled with SO. I got Samplitude instead of CB after CW and like it a lot but that company has a whole other mess including sales woes. I like Reaper a lot too and it just keeps on giving and working! Here’s hoping Steinberg doesn’t screw up their model - not perfect but seems stable and mature (so unlike me!)

SO updated just fine but I’ll have to seriously rethink a paid update when it comes.

• Like 1