The NEW Cakewalk Sonar (Early Access Version) Video from Creative Sauce

cclarry

1 hour ago, 53mph said:

Reaper users are like lynx users....or People's Temple converts. 

Come on and drink the kool aid! 🧉

LOL! This is what people on other forums may be like. But after my disappointment with Sonar then finding a video of a cool layout of Reaper, I decided to check it out. I was impressed by how much more it can do than all versions of Cakewalk. Both in theme customization and functionality customization. And at $60 it was an easy decision. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulo said:

Noel has stated that BSP is the release version - "The feature set is complete". 

"Feature complete" ain't "release version"

A program in development can have all of its features in place but still not be considered ready to release. Some of those features might not work 100% correctly.

This Backstage Pass thing is a sneak peek. Probably also testing the waters as far as pricing.

9 hours ago, Heath Row said:

I know the way old Euthymia works.

You remember my handle from the old forum! 🥰

I'm not that old am I? Is 63 old? Well, as you say, I do try to look good.😄

I did actually know about the Backstage Pass preview release thingie, I just don't consider it a true release. It's a preview.

There's been no press or announcement about Sonar being released. Or has there? I haven't seen anything other than this sneak peek thing.

My agenda is that I want to ease the panic and FUD. Wait for an official announcement that Sonar has been released and that licensing will be under this or that terms for this or that amount of money.

Then we can raise the pitchforks if it's subscription only and/or you have to pay for a bunch of BandLab services you don't need. If that happens, my pitchfork will be waving along with the rest of them.

I hope BandLab realize sooner than later that they need to nail down the pricing. Keeping us all in the dark ain't doing them any favors.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 53mph said:

Reaper users are like lynx users....or People's Temple converts. 

Come on and drink the kool aid! 🧉

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
Studio One is a great DAW
Harrison Mixbus 32C is a great DAW
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Digital Perfomer is a great DAW
BItwig Studio is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉 

I know, I have them all

Great is in the hand of the beholder

And thus, SONAR will be a great DAW.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

"Feature complete" ain't "release version"

A program in development can have all of its features in place but still not be considered ready to release. Some of those features might not work 100% correctly.

So "complete" doesn't mean complete and "completely usable" means it doesn't work properly and "Today you can get it monthly or get an annual BSP license upfront which is cheaper" is not the current price ? OK then.

Regardless of nomenclature all I said in the first place was that to me the currently released version doesn't justify the current asking price. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉 

I know, I have them all

Roses are Red

Violets are violet

Bapu's no poet

And neither am I.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉 

I agree 1000% with this post, especially the last entry on the list😅 but anyway, it’s really hard to find something that actually is a bad DAW

…that isn’t made by AVID😉
(and even that gets the job done)

Edited by projectm

27 minutes ago, paulo said:

Regardless of nomenclature all I said in the first place was that to me the currently released version doesn't justify the current asking price.

Okay, I get it. Sorry for misunderstandings. I was going by the industry definition which I now realize that not everyone knows.

I used to be a software QA engineer (Macromedia/Adobe, Berkeley Systems, Informix, Learning Company and others) and "feature complete" is a specific term that developers use. Noel is speaking in Developer.

Here's the definition of "feature complete" from the Oxford English Dictionary:

"denoting a version of a piece of software having all the functionality intended for the final version but requiring some improvements and fixes before release."

(emphasis mine)

From the Wikipedia article on Software release life cycle:

"A feature-complete (FC) version of a piece of software has all of its planned or primary features implemented but is not yet final due to bugs, performance or stability issues. This occurs at the end of alpha testing in development.

Usually, feature-complete software still has to undergo beta testing and bug fixing, as well as performance or stability enhancement before it can go to release candidate, and finally gold status."

Sonar is currently past alpha and into beta, but it's not into release candidate phase.

(The Early Access thing that used to be a part of CbB releases used "release candidate" versions.)

I know all this is coming off as pedantic, but I guess that's how "old Euthymia" is sometimes. 😄

I really just don't want everyone to be all worried about the upcoming Sonar release and jumping to conclusions. I think/hope that BandLab are savvy enough to price Sonar where it belongs in the current market and not restrict it to subscriptions. That's all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bapu said:

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉 

I know, I have them all

...sniggers Avid.

I concurrently use Reaper, Mixbus 32C and Cakewalk. 

Mixbus 32C isn't as good for recording/editing midi tracks (my keyboards and drums) but is the most fun to mixdown on. 

I think Cakewalk is easier for less technical users to lay down tracks and mix on. 

Reaper is the swiss army knife - there's a script/add-on for every need. 

• Like 2

Yeah. I will say that Cakewalk is the easiest to get into for beginners for figuring out the basics. That was the case for me. Every other DAW I tried a trial of at the time was too confusing in comparison. But once you learn the basics, it's good to branch out and see what's out there. This was easy for me to do because Cakewalk was free.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bapu said:

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉 

I know, I have them all

That_Would_Be_Great_meme.jpg

• Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, Bapu said:

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉 

I know, I have them all

WHHAAATT .. no mention of the mighty Ableton Live :D

On 3/22/2024 at 5:20 PM, Hillmy said:

All the smoke and mirrors about the new Sonar and some people not seeing the obvious and listening to reason made me switch to Reaper.  

Are we talking about three DAWs here, or is this Reason as stated below.   I can only handle 2 Daws at a time.  🤣

Reason is the capacity of applying logic consciously by drawing conclusions from new or existing information, with the aim of seeking the truth.

On 3/23/2024 at 6:11 PM, Hillmy said:

LOL! This is what people on other forums may be like. But after my disappointment with Sonar then finding a video of a cool layout of Reaper, I decided to check it out. I was impressed by how much more it can do than all versions of Cakewalk. Both in theme customization and functionality customization. And at $60 it was an easy decision. 

Link to video?

While I'm aware Reaper has tons of customizations, I have yet to find anything that wouldn't take a Full time job to make work as easily as Cakewalk in addition to looking as pleasing (I use a custom Cakewalk theme - not the default)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Reaper is a great DAW
CbB is a great DAW
Cubase is a great DAW
Studio One is an Excellent DAW 😁😁😁
MIxcraft is a great DAW
Reason 12 is a great DAW
Pro Tools is a DAW  😉