My Trip to New York, Florida, Mexico and the Bahamas

cclarry

3 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Holy cows - you were on THAT ship!!!!!!!!!!  I thought it was a myth.  Turns out, it's a city.

I doubt it was THAT ship since its maiden voyage was three days ago.

But Larry got a good look at it, must be something to behold (and sails with 10,000 people on board).

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I doubt it was THAT ship since its maiden voyage was three days ago.

But Larry got a good look at it, must be something to behold (and sails with 10,000 people on board).

I was on the MSC Meraviglia....5,000 Passenger cruise ship.  The Icon of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) has a 7,000 Passenger capacity.
It's the largest cruise ship ever built

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, craigb said:

If you must "Stay Seated" then how do you get off the bus? 🤔

423555556_25328790280045385_646909788115

You don't.  It's sort of like the Hotel California and that check-out thing they have going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So @cclarry, it all looks awesome. I'd love to get your brief thoughts on each place and what you liked best about each place. Did any one place you visited stand out as an absolute favorite? 

I realize that each place has its own unique qualities, but I'm wondering if one of them was really extra special. For example, I love New York. It's super exciting. If you want to have fun,  it's kind of impossible not to in NYC. But for my tastes, nothing touches my soul as much as nature. So, I'm always going to pick natural beauty for my favorite places in the world (for me, nothing beats anywhere in New Zealand, but Christchurch is the closest I've been to Heaven).

What places on this trip really stood out to you as favorites? 

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

So @cclarry, it all looks awesome. I'd love to get your brief thoughts on each place and what you liked best about each place. Did any one place you visited stand out as an absolute favorite? 

I realize that each place has its own unique qualities, but I'm wondering if one of them was really extra special. For example, I love New York. It's super exciting. If you want to have fun,  it's kind of impossible not to in NYC. But for my tastes, nothing touches my soul as much as nature. So, I'm always going to pick natural beauty for my favorite places in the world (for me, nothing beats anywhere in New Zealand, but Christchurch is the closest I've been to Heaven).

What places on this trip really stood out to you as favorites? 

My favorite place was the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins at Costa Maya (Mahahual is the City - Costa Maya is the Port). 
It was literally in the Jungle, and there were Spider Monkeys jumping around in the trees.
The ruins were amazing to see in person.  I also saw the Tulum Mayan Ruins at Cozumel.  We had to take a ferry across to the mainland (Playa Del Carmen)
from Cozumel, which took an hour, and then take a bus for another hour to  Tulum.  It also was spectacular, but not as much as Chacchoben.  Tulum is the only Mayan City built on the Coast.  All others are inland. 

New York was awesome!  I got to see the Dakota Building, where John Lennon lived (and was shot).  There is a picture of it in my pics.
Far better than I expected.  I FINALLY got to take a tour of Miami, despite having been there 3 times.  I had a tour scheduled
when I went on the cruise last year in January, but it got cancelled.

The Meraviglia is STUNNINLY BEAUTIFUL!   Those glass steps in the atrium are Swarovski Crystal!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

My favorite place was the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins at Costa Maya (Mahahual is the City - Costa Maya is the Port). 
It was literally in the Jungle, and there were Spider Monkeys jumping around in the trees.
The ruins were amazing to see in person.  I also saw the Tulum Mayan Ruins at Cozumel.  We had to take a ferry across to the mainland (Playa Del Carmen)
from Cozumel, which took an hour, and then take a bus for another hour to  Tulum.  It also was spectacular, but not as much as Chacchoben.  Tulum is the only Mayan City built on the Coast.  All others are inland. 

New York was awesome!  I got to see the Dakota Building, where John Lennon lived (and was shot).  There is a picture of it in my pics.
Far better than I expected.  I FINALLY got to take a tour of Miami, despite having been there 3 times.  I had a tour scheduled
when I went on the cruise last year in January, but it got cancelled.

The Meraviglia is STUNNINLY BEAUTIFUL!   Those glass steps in the atrium are Swarovski Crystal!!!

It all sounds awesome.  "Far better than I expected" sounds like this trip gets two thumbs up. The Chacchoben Mayan Ruins at Costa Maya sound especially interesting. I appreciate how different these places are, that you could get into the Mayan ruins and then also appreciate NYC.  Also, I can't help but think that you've stumbled across a band name idea: CCLarry and The Spider Monkeys. ;) I'd listen to that band and even wear the t-shirt! 

I think you should start a a travel blog with all of the adventures you've been having in the past year! Hmmm...maybe ccLarry's Travel Deals Blog! 

• Great Idea 1

Got to be honest I always thought I’d stay clear from anything cruise related, but in this last year a good friend of mine from way back when, and Larry, the Cakies king, made me reconsider. 
I would never have thought either one of them could fancy this kind of cruising, but hey, there’s obviously fun to be had (and stuff to see). 
I guess my main caveat would be about the people I’d be forced to be with for a considerable amount of time. 
Then again, these ships carry thousands. 
And some among them are called Larry. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

Got to be honest I always thought I’d stay clear from anything cruise related, but in this last year a good friend of mine from way back when, and Larry, the Cakies king, made me reconsider. 
I would never have thought either one of them could fancy this kind of cruising, but hey, there’s obviously fun to be had (and stuff to see). 
I guess my main caveat would be about the people I’d be forced to be with for a considerable amount of time. 
Then again, these ships carry thousands. 
And some among them are called Larry. 

When you do the math it's the best vacation you can take!  It's your Hotel, Food, Entertainment, Transportation and Service all rolled into one...and it goes with you to your destinations!  Sometimes it can be a bit trying dealing with all the people, but it's not that bad.  I honestly never thought that I would be able to travel like this...but am glad that I followed through with my promise to myself that, when I retired, I would travel!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1