What's next for Rush? CBS Sunday Morning:

Old Joad

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I say Meg White formerly from the White Stipes. It's 2023, you guys... :P

More seriously, I love those guys, and I respect their decision whatever it is, but part of me wishes they would let Rush rest in peace.

I get what you’re saying Rain.  The fan in me wishes for Rush to remain the image of what they’re where and to leave it at that.  However, they do what they do, because they love music and it’s in their DNA to write, record and perform.  

I turned 62 today and I’m planning to work until I’m 65.  I’m excited t be moving towards leaving the work force and an occupation that I’m not entirely thrilled with.  I’m equally excited and anticipating having more time to engage in the things I love, music being one of those loves.  These guys are doing what they love and live for already.  They are some of the lucky few who were able to combine a passion with a career.   Why would they want to quit?

We view through the lens of a fan while they view the lens of their lives. 

Edited by michaelhanson
  • Like 1

Didn't they also stop because, apart from Neil's death, Alex's developed hand problems which affected his playing? Now they're coming back and...I don't see much the point of it. I never see the point of bands which are long past their prime just milking their ever diminishing fan base for every cent they have. I'd rather have acts end in a higher note than become laughing stocks like Motley Crue or KISS. Everything has to end at some point.

38 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

Hey, when you do something for over 50 years, your entire adult life, what else you gonna do?

They probably don’t have any hobbies to speak of.

No one complained when the ‘40s crooners or the ‘50s rockers were still performing right up until the day they died.

i don't understand why people of a certain wealth don't just relax and enjoy spending it

50 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

Hey, when you do something for over 50 years, your entire adult life, what else you gonna do?

No one complained when the ‘40s crooners or the ‘50s rockers were still performing right up until the day they died.

Both Lifeson and Lee seem to be able to keep themselves occupied, but I think that being a musician is not something you can turn off.

That being said, I think people's reaction isn't based on the fact that musicians keep on making music in their old age, but on the fact that they decide to do so using an established name. Of course, it's theirs to do what they want, but if the name is worth touring under, it's a name that probably means a lot to millions of people and it's bound to elicit a strong reaction.

I think maybe Queen found the most elegant way to go about it with their Queen + Paul Rogers, and Queen featuring Adam Lambert. For my taste anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Bradley said:

In an interview with Dan Dather from a few years ago, Lee references his hobbies.  Also, his brand new 4-part documentary series touches on his hobbies as well as those of the four bass players he asks, "Are  Bass Players Human, Too?"

Edited by User 905133
(2) added a link to the trailer; (1) corrected the title of the series
  • Like 3

Rush is one of those rare bands where not a single member is replaceable. You lose any one of those guys and it's over imho.

There is nobody who could replace Lee's voice, Lifeson's guitar work, and sure as heck Peart's drumming. Him especially. Nobody could ever come close to him on drums in my opinion, plus he wrote most of their songs according to what I've read about them.

They can do what they want of course, its their baby. I'm not even that big of a fan of theirs tbh, but it feels wrong to me to keep going without him.

• Like 2