Those were the days

Bapu

2008, iirc. A historian would find a clue in the fact that we're wearing watches. Nobody does that anymore.

Trying to remember who else was in attendance that night. The late Old_55 (Jan) was there. A couple guys from Cakewalk who aren't with the company anymore. Middleman (Phil), who had a most impressive collection of vintage compressors. LanceInDaStudio (Lance).  

Though not at that gathering, I'd also met TheStringMaster (Les) earlier in the day. Interesting guy. He designs guitar strings for Dunlop, which makes pretty much every brand of string you've ever heard of. I still have the MXR shirt he gave me, although it has a big burn hole in the front now. Come to think of it, I still have the Cakewalk t-shirt. It, too, has a burn hole in the front. You'd think I'd eventually learn not to smoke, um, cigars whilst reclining in a lawn chair.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 12:06 PM, bitflipper said:

The late Old_55 (Jan) was there

Jan is gone?!! And no one told me... Ouch...

It's amazing how people you never even met matter.

Remember Ba-MIDI? Sharky went out of his way to find him, only to learn that he was gone. 

You guys better be around until I croak... All of you's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think of ba-midi often. Years ago when I was very poor due to a problematic relationship with the IRS, he gifted me a license for FabFilter Pro-Q, which remains my most-used plugin to this day. So yeh, I think of Billie every time I Ioad it up. He inspired me to pay it forward whenever an opportunity arose, mostly by gifting gear to other musicians.

Which reminds me, I need to create a will. I'd hate to have all my stuff end up in a yard sale to be snatched up by Craigslist resellers.

3 hours ago, craigb said:

Yep.  Jan left us many years ago now.  BA-MIDI, Bill, Space Cowboy, all gone.

I still have our last email exchanges, with Jan and Billy (BA-MIDI), archived after all these years.

The thing that bothered me most when I was banned years ago was not talking to all of you here. This always has been a special place on the internet with a really great group of people. I don't include myself in that category because I really used to let the software side of this place get to me. My behavior wasn't up to par with the rest of the group. But I'm grateful I was accepted warts and all. I've grown up a lot since then, I think/hope.

It would be very painful and a great loss if anyone here, including the ones we greatly disagree with, were to pass away.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Which reminds me, I need to create a will. I'd hate to have all my stuff end up in a yard sale to be snatched up by Craigslist resellers.

I was just talking about this today with someone. All the hours I've put in to creating music, all of my guitars that I cherish so much. My guitars will end up at a pawn shop and all my music I have created will simply be deleted. I keep everything private on YouTube and Soundcloud so eventually after years of inactivity that will be eliminated too.

It made me feel selfish and kind of sad to think I created all this, just for myself. All the hours, months, weeks, probably totalling years of actual hours I've spent that never benefitted anyone but me.

I share what I created with a handful of friends and family that listen to it once, say it's nice, then never listen again. It makes me question why I even bothered to be honest.

I was with my wife 26 years. She never once actually sat down and listened or enjoyed anything I recorded nor was interested in my playing in the least. It was just a thing I wasted time and money on to her. I can't say she was wrong I guess.

I've always been in to woodworking too, but now Im diving in to it like I did music. At least it will leave something behind. I still have the itch to record and create music but I don't because it consumes me and I realize I'm not good enough to creat something quickly and it just takes me too much time.

I haven't touched my guitar seriously in years. My new 'family' keeps asking me to play at parties and in their living room but I'm too embarrassed. I'm way out of practice.

After proofreading this I realize how dark this post is. Sorry. But it is the sad truth. Lol.

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1