Cakewalk 2023.9 Build 75 Released

cclarry

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Okay, that's one thing. Discontinued. No more development, no more support, as eventually happens to most software versions.

And that's entirely another. Where/when did they specifically mention that "it will not be for long?"

Phew, it was difficult to find in all those long threads! It took me minimum a quarter of an hour!

Here is short the important quote, Noel said: "The only reason it's being kept active for now (CbB) is to provide users time to transition to the upcoming (paid) Sonar product."

IMHO this implies a more or less short time, even if no exact period is mentioned! But I guess it won't be years that they provide to make the transition!

23 minutes ago, Sistine said:

Phew, it was difficult to find in all those long threads! It took me minimum a quarter of an hour!

Here is short the important quote, Noel said: "The only reason it's being kept active for now (CbB) is to provide users time to transition to the upcoming (paid) Sonar product."

IMHO this implies a more or less short time, even if no exact period is mentioned! But I guess it won't be years that they provide to make the transition!

Keep reading....too much into this....

Screenshot_20231023-163908.png

• Like 1

Hand wringers will wring their hands, I mean, that's just what they do; right?

t

<thinking aloud>
I wish they'd just release the beech, the studio rig is in the office today for the build 75 update.
Sure would make my life easier!
What do you say Noel, just put it out there...
</thinking aloud>

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I got pounded for bringing just this topic up a couple of weeks ago

I got broad shoulders Sidney!
They can pound all they want.
What I want? 
I want to pay $199 for New SONAR, and I want whomever chooses to stay with CbB to
have it work indefinitely; but "You can't always get what you want".

Of course in the immortal words of The Tubes, since I am an American citizen,
I am entitled to "a baby's arm holding an apple"
so there's always that...

t

2 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

let the hand wringing begin!!

<rant>

Begin?
Its been going on for months now.
"is New SONAR going to open my old projects, will I get New SONAR for free because Henry screwed me over," etcetera, etcetera, etcetera; ad nauseum.

I apologize in advance, but please grow a set children; everything is going to be fine. And YES, you are
going to have to PAY to keep development going; this is America and free enterprise ain't free...

and here's the good news, you are in before the lock!

</rant>

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

<rant>

Begin?
Its been going on for months now.
"is New SONAR going to open my old projects, will I get New SONAR for free because Henry screwed me over," etcetera, etcetera, etcetera; ad nauseum.

I apologize in advance, but please grow a set children; everything is going to be fine. And YES, you are
going to have to PAY to keep development going; this is America and free enterprise ain't free...

and here's the good news, you are in before the lock!

</rant>

I too paid Gibson for the Sonar Lifetime license.
Gibson screwed us not Bandlab.  It's really not that hard a concept to grasp.

As such I don't realistically expect Bandlab to offer me a free lifetime license to the new Sonar.
I'm thankful that Bandlab has been providing free updates and support all this time.
I look forward to seeing the new Sonar.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

As I remember pointing out years ago, if BandLab's authentication server ever goes offline, you can set your Windows system time and date or run a program like RunAsDate to make CbB think that your authentication hasn't run out.

d00d, I am 3733t! I haxx!

Have you tried this?

The blurb says that RunAsDate may not work when a program gets its date and time from an external Server. If I'm not wrong, CbB connects to the Bandlab server at startup, right?

• Great Idea 1

That little trick, if you could call it that has been around for many many years, I tried it many years ago on some program,  but nah it didn't work. For the amount of time it has been around and used, I would say any programmer worth their weight would have solved it by now, and if not I'd personally would be wary about anything they had programmed.

Apart from that you got to be wary of any issues that changing your clock time will bring, and as you go further and further in time I would say more and more issues would show themselves making you wonder if its all worth it or not,

Not talking about any app here, just the act of manually changing your time, and not saying it wont work in 100% of cases, but if it does1work for you, be aware of possible issues further down the track, especially if you use your machine for more than just music.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Have you tried this?

The blurb says that RunAsDate may not work when a program gets its date and time from an external Server. If I'm not wrong, CbB connects to the Bandlab server at startup, right?

I have not tried it. It would be hard to test due to the fact that BandLab's servers are still authenticating Cakewalk by BandLab installations. Also, I don't think anyone's really going to need it.

Anyway, CbB tries to connect. If your system isn't connected to the Internet, how would the program know that it's not whatever date you tell it? If it last talked to the server on October 24, 2024 and you pull the network cable out and fake the date to December 24, 2024, won't it believe that its authentication hasn't expired?

I mean, if CbB is able to contact BandLab's server, BandLab would have to make it so their server actually disables it for it not to keep working.

CbB is capable at this time of running on systems with no internet connection whatsoever. Not sure how it works, but supposedly you can run a program on a different system that is connected to the Internet, get a validation hash from BandLab's servers, and then use that code to reset Cakewalk's countdown.

I doubt that anyone will ever need to try these shenanigans because I don't believe that BandLab intends to deliberately disable operation of CbB. If I'm wrong about that I'm wrong.

For what it's worth, SONAR X3 works under Win10 Pro.  I would hate to have to give up using Workspaces (and bunches of new features and improvements)  but if the new Cakewalk products (Cakewalk Next, Cakewalk Sonar) are beyond my budget (which it looks like it might be based on the prices so many of you have been asking for / predicting / speculating about), it is good to know that SONAR X3 still works.

Edited by User 905133

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Last time I tried (Win 7) Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold (it's midi only) form the 1990s still worked. But I ent goan bach there.

I still got the floppies somewhere but my 286 with the Roland MPU-401 interface is long gone.
(LOL I might actually have the MPU-401 buried in my garage, at some point gotta clean that sucker out)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Is there any unopened box of Cakewalk that doesn't require online authorization?

If it is unopened there is no way to know if Cakewalk will give you the registration code.

From this distant memory the box contains a serial number, then you need to give that to Cake to get a registration code.  Once you have both in hand, it can be off-line authorized.

Since they discontinued X3, it would be a bit risky as Cakewalk may not give you the code you need to actually unlock it at this point.  I've seen an unopened box show up on the market before - but it wasn't cheap - assuredly more than the new Sonar will cost.

Also note they also were no longer shipping discs, therefore you also have the battle of getting the installer if they are not registering new accounts any longer.

I went through my account and downloaded some of the installers yesterday to make sure I at least had an option if things go south here.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Great Idea 1