Cakewalk 2023.9 Build 75 Released

cclarry

11 hours ago, Sistine said:

Yes and no, 'cos it is now more like a trial! You are able to use it as long as they allow you to re-authorize (and they mentioned it will not be for long)!

Got a quote on  that?  I've seen nothing that I indicates the idea the final version of Cakewalk won't run into the foreseeable future even when Sonar is released.  

I think they would have a riot on their hands from the lifers.

Edited by Brian Walton

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Got a quote on  that?  I've seen nothing that I indicates the idea the final version of Cakewalk won't run into the foreseeable future even when Sonar is released.  

I think they would have a riot on their hands from the lifers.

In the release notes they wrote: "CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release.".

And there are other hints that say we will have enough time to prepare/choose the paid version that fits us! These are obvious signs that the time for using CbB is soon over.

But hey, I like that there are people like you that are optimistic regardless! 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sistine said:

In the release notes they wrote: "CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release.".

And there are other hints that say we will have enough time to prepare/choose the paid version that fits us! These are obvious signs that the time for using CbB is soon over.

But hey, I like that there are people like you that are optimistic regardless! 😄

Discontinued and no longer developed is expected...no longer authorized is a massive difference and I don't see that implication.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Discontinued and no longer developed is expected...no longer authorized is a massive difference and I don't see that implication.

The only question is what discontinued really means? I hope your optimism turns out to be right! 😉

Why did they emphasize discontinuation if they already had stated that development goes to Sonar?

7 hours ago, Sistine said:

The only question is what discontinued really means? I hope your optimism turns out to be right! 😉

Why did they emphasize discontinuation if they already had stated that development goes to Sonar?

Because they don't want to imply they will continue to offer customer support for the product.

You can discontinue development but still offer customer support.  This notion points to Dev work will stop and eventually customer support will also.  

While most don't need customer support, those that do can be a massive burden on resources.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

If they plan to sell a version that no longer requires authorization, I'm down for that.  As long as I can buy it at the hobby price of $60 :). Come on, I don't make any money making music.  It's a hobby only for me :)

I think those days are gone.  Disconnect your network and you'd be amazed how much software goes crazy.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I think those days are gone.  Disconnect your network and you'd be amazed how much software goes crazy.  

I use a firewall.  I don't let programs out to update on their own.  I must setup a hole in my firewall for that program, IF, I want to update.

I only update if I have problems with the software, not just because the developer found problems.  If I do get problems and they aren't a huge deal for me...I don't worry about the update.

Edited by El Diablo
Spelling
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I own Sonar 8.5.3 and it doesn't require authorization every so often!

This is like saying "I have Windows XP, and It doesn't need authorization".

You're not doing yourself any favours by restricting yourself to a software that was released in 2008. You're missing out on sooooo many improvements. Too many to mention.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

This is like saying "I have Windows XP, and It doesn't need authorization".

You're not doing yourself any favours by restricting yourself to a software that was released in 2008. You're missing out on sooooo many improvements. Too many to mention.

The only current reason I want to use Sonar is for it's dithering ability.  The old Sonar can do just that :)

I love the new Sonar's ability to drag and drop a track into the tempo map, but I can just use Melodyne Studio to create a tempo map to export anyways.

Cakewalk loves to require authorization every so often to continue using it's product!  I'm staying away from it for now on until they have something I can buy once and only worry about a one time authorization!

Or maybe someone can redirect me a way to buy the full version before it became Bandlab's?

Edited by Al T
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I only update if I have problems with the software, not just because the developer found problems.  If I do get problems and they aren't a huge deal for me...I don't worry about the update.

Updates are also about new features - many of which have been added to CbB since the Splat days.

Very few of these publicly released CbB updates have ever given me issues.  And on the rare occasion that there were small issues, they were always quickly resolved by the Bakers.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Al T said:

Cakewalk loves to require authorization every so often to continue using it's product!  I'm staying away from it for now on until they have something I can buy once and only worry about a one time authorization!

Or maybe someone can redirect me a way to buy the full version before it became Bandlab's?

What you choose to do is your own business.  Since by your own admission you didn't purchase a license before it was rescued from the grave by Bandlab, you might be out of luck trying to purchase a legitimate copy now.  

2 hours ago, Al T said:

This is a fairly new development in the Cakewalk world, the X versions and number versions before that used a a serial and redemption code process that didn't keep phoning home for confirmation.

I don't remember if they added this during the Platinum/lifetime days or if it was a Bandlab addition, but the last X3 products didn't stop working if you disconnect from the Internet for 7 months.

2 hours ago, Al T said:

Welcome to 2023.

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

don't remember if they added this during the Platinum/lifetime days or if it was a Bandlab addition,

Platinum requires a one time authorization via Command Center, although I do believe this can be done offline.  “ET” phoning home is a CbB thing.

small price to pay really…

On 10/21/2023 at 11:57 AM, Sistine said:

In the release notes they wrote: "CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release."

Okay, that's one thing. Discontinued. No more development, no more support, as eventually happens to most software versions.

On 10/21/2023 at 12:18 AM, Sistine said:

(and they mentioned it will not be for long)!

And that's entirely another. Where/when did they specifically mention that "it will not be for long?"

• Like 1