Freely Replicate anyone's voice even ur .....

satya

• satya changed the title to Freely Replicate anyone's voice even ur .....
30 minutes ago, mettelus said:

An interesting article was posted today about Jane Friedman finding fake books "written" by her being sold on Amazon (of all places). It will be interesting to see in the coming years how many artistic fakes get pedaled, and how that will be countered.

Don't forget the same grift with Audible as shown in this documentary of sorts (although AI probably now makes this one cheaper too, since chatgpt wasn't on everyone's lips one year ago):

15 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Make presentation videos for work that sound like Venus Theory (but without the "howdy doody, buckaroonies!")?

Or pick something more exotic and make them sound like Zozilla the great, or Paul Third?

My mind is going to explode with the possibilities

Oh yes, Venus Theory has such a great voice.

It's scary what's possible with AI voices. Criminals use it sometimes to make fake calls, pretending to be someone's child in need of money that they should transfer.

I've seen some fun examples on TikTok where they've made Frank Sinatra sing modern songs or rap lyrics in his style. It sounds so real. You can find them on the TikTok account "@breakstuffpod".

• Like 1

A case could probably be made that the person owns their voice, but how could they prove that their voice was used to train the AI?

Btw, totally unrelated but these short video formats (such as YouTube shorts) seem to be getting progressively worse. Maybe it's just my brain lol, but I can barely follow the video in the original post. Too many cuts.

Edited by Milan

3 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

This is weird territory. Do I own my voice? If someone decides to replicate my voice to create a hit record (I'm Britney y'all!), do I get a slice of the pie? Do I get the whole pie if it is done without my consent? 

Isn't this issue one part of the current SAG-AFTRA strike? I believe (don't quote me on this, though) currently nothing prevents the studios from ripping the voices of voice actors and using them in future productions however they want.

Same thing with the faces of actors and writing styles of script writers.

• Like 1

I have an idea for an album project for ages where I'd like to use some short dialogues from a famous movie. Of course, to avoid copyright claims I was planning to record my own voice imitating the original dialogues the best I can. Maybe I can use a tool like this to modify my voice or synthesize those talks more precisely without infringing copyright by sampling the material. Would this be a fair use?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

6 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

This is weird territory. Do I own my voice? If someone decides to replicate my voice to create a hit record (I'm Britney y'all!), do I get a slice of the pie? Do I get the whole pie if it is done without my consent? 

Good question.  I wonder what the legal issues would be, if any,  if someone used an imitator of a singer/actor and cloned that voice rather than the actual artist to make a recording. 

There is a lawyer or two among us, I'm not one. But there have been a number of high profile lawsuits by actors over the years when companies have used other actors. including voice actors that attempted to look and sound like those actors  (the Back to the Future movie franchise is one example).  I'd expect that it could be protected by copyright law (if it's part of a copyrighted work), after all sometime's likeness and voice is absolutely their intellectual property. 

On a personal level,  like many others here, I don't have a very good singing voice, but I wrote some decent songs back in the day and the idea of being able to use voices of singers I really enjoy is incredibly appealing. Imagine using the voice of a young Paul McCartney,  Chris Cornell, Robert Plant, Paul Rogers, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Muddy Waters, Al Green, Jeff Buckley, Steve Walsh, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Peter Gabriel,  Billie Holiday,  etc on your original song or cover. If that was easy to do, I would absolutely want to do it -- I don't think it's presently very simple. While I doubt that major artists would ever consent to that, I personally think it would be amazing to have that ability. 

EDIT: I thought I'd include this interesting article on the legal aspects of using someone else's voice, as some have wondered about where law stands on this (of course,  it varies from country to country, but overall,  it's clear that laws haven't yet caught up to technology in this area). 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/schuylermoore/2022/10/28/who-owns-voice-and-image-artificial-intelligence-rights/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I don't mean to belittle anyone (though I obviously am) but if all it takes to replace you is a software that sounds like you or a 3d model that looks like you, were you really that unique and skilled in the first place? Or perhaps I'm not seeing the big picture here, I don't know.

3 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

There is a lawyer or two among us, I'm not one. But there have been a number of high profile lawsuits by actors over the years when companies have used other actors, including voice actors that attempted to look and sound like those actors.  I'd certainly expect that it would be protected by copyright law, after all sometime's likeness and voice is absolutely their intellectual property.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I don't think your voice or your face can be intellectual property, unless they were artificially created by someone or you use your face to brand your product. According to WikiPedia (and many other sources) intellectual property (IP) is a category of property that includes intangible creations of the human intellect, such as inventions, literary and artistic works, symbols, names etc. In any case, you can't copyright a voice, there are court decisions about that (in the US at least).

Of course, you can't duplicate someone's voice and pass it off as the actual person performing, but if you clearly state that the voice is "Michael Jackson's AI sound-alike", I don't think there is anything anyone can do about it.

4 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

On a personal level,  like many others here, I don't have a very good singing voice, but I wrote some decent songs back in the day and the idea of being able to use voices of singers I really enjoy is incredibly appealing. Imagine using the voice of a young Paul McCartney,  Paul Rogers, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Muddy Waters, Al Green, Jeff Buckley, Steve Walsh, Peter Gabriel,  Billie Holiday,  etc on your original song or cover. If that was easy to do, I would absolutely want to do it -- I don't think it's presently very simple. While I doubt that major artists would ever consent to that. But I think it would be amazing. 

Personally, I think I would prefer completely artificial but unique voices that sound just as good. The thing with recognizable voices is that they are just that.

But I would definitely muck about with the famous singers just for fun. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pseudopop said:

I don't mean to belittle anyone (though I obviously am) but if all it takes to replace you is a software that sounds like you or a 3d model that looks like you, were you really that unique and skilled in the first place?

What if it sounds, looks, and acts like someone? What if an AI 'watched' film clips and learned the nuances of someone's behaviour and then applied it to new contexts?

Personally, I think it's a bit creepy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pseudopop said:

Of course, you can't duplicate someone's voice and pass it off as the actual person performing, but if you clearly state that the voice is "Michael Jackson's AI sound-alike"

I think this is the real issue, as this is the intent of some. Essentially stealing someone's brand and profiting off that is a clear-cut no-no. I knew an engineer who almost bankrupted himself monitoring his patent (IP) to make sure no one stole it... the time/cost of monitoring a brand can be massive unless you are so popular the general public does it for you. Even that article I posted above bothers me because the very first line said "under her name," which made me assume it was her account (no idea). Such things for publicity stunts are not uncommon either.

Ironically, there was an old movie called "Looker" that had the premise of models/actors who looked GOOD, but couldn't model/act for crap. The "solution" was to get them to sign over rights to their "appearance" (often by being drugged), 3D capture them, then kill them off. Very eerie how  "far-fetched sci-fi" suddenly is falling into the realm of possibility (or already being done).

• Like 1

Creepy? sure.

Copyrightable? very questionable. I would argue that no, it doesn't meet the requirements of a copyrightable "work" (of course, I wouldn't be shocked if politicians succumb to lobbying pressures and further erode the public domain beyond what the Constitution says)

Trademarkable? Possibly, but the requirements for maintaining a trademark/registered trademark need to be met (e.g., making an investment in creating a brand out of it)

14 hours ago, antler said:

What if it sounds, looks, and acts like someone? What if an AI 'watched' film clips and learned the nuances of someone's behaviour and then applied it to new contexts?

Personally, I think it's a bit creepy.

It's definitely creepy. Personally, I think mannerism is something that the individual has come up with by themselves, so combining that with the likeness of someone crosses the line. I'm not sure if it's against the law, but if some human artist started to dance and sing like Michael Jackson (with the occasioanal "woo-hoo!") I think people would be quick to point it out and be opposed to it. I imagine the same thing would happen with a virtual artist.

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

I think this is the real issue, as this is the intent of some. Essentially stealing someone's brand and profiting off that is a clear-cut no-no. I knew an engineer who almost bankrupted himself monitoring his patent (IP) to make sure no one stole it... the time/cost of monitoring a brand can be massive unless you are so popular the general public does it for you. Even that article I posted above bothers me because the very first line said "under her name," which made me assume it was her account (no idea). Such things for publicity stunts are not uncommon either.

Yes, this is most definitely wrong. But Amazon is full of counterfeit products (just google "amazon counterfeit" to find plenty of articles), books have not been an exception for some time:

I can't remember the article, but I recall someone telling how they put a unique technical gadget up for sale on Amazon, and after only a few weeks, cheap Chinese copies started to pop up.

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

Ironically, there was an old movie called "Looker" that had the premise of models/actors who looked GOOD, but couldn't model/act for crap. The "solution" was to get them to sign over rights to their "appearance" (often by being drugged), 3D capture them, then kill them off. Very eerie how  "far-fetched sci-fi" suddenly is falling into the realm of possibility (or already being done).

I would be surprised if studios weren't already planning something like this for the near future, without the drugging and killing, of course (probably). There are only so many Mission Impossible movies Tom Cruise is able to make before age catches up with him. :)

• Like 1