The Devil's In My House

Lynn Wilson

Hello to all my CW friends!  It has been a hectic summer for me, but I managed to get one project finished.  This is a song that I wrote and posted on the old song forum in 2014.  Since then, I remixed it with fresh, new tools and filmed this video just a few weeks ago.  I admit that it's rough, in fact, the raw footage is SO rough that I had to dress it up with various f/x to hide the poor lighting and staging.  This should probably be seen as a first cut, no more.  However, it's gritty enough to convey a sense of urgency which is what I was looking for, more or less.  It is a wide-open book, just waiting for your input.  As always, much gratitude for your time and patience.

This song was inspired by the old saying "the devil made me do it", nothing else. 

• Like 3

Hi Lynn,

Been waiting for you to update us as to what's new .. and.

The overall mix IMO is really good, I was distracted by the excellent vid work .. what the hell are you using? the sinc is perfect and I think if I lived in the 60s ( I did by the way ... and the 50s for that matter ) I would have wondered if the devil actually helped you ... 

This works sums up your talent in song writing and vid work ... for me it comes in at 10 !

ATB

Steve 🤛

Edited by Supa Reels
  • Like 1

Hello Lynn , I Really enjoyed that ! No crits or suggestions from me. Very good job with the screen shots following the vocals. Looks like you have a nice touch with a whammy bar. (wish I had one) I think your vocals Really excelled on this. Cool looking studio as well.                   Enjoyed it ..    mark

• Like 1

Outstanding work Lynn ! . . . much respect for how you captured the many lead vocal and echo + harmony parts in the video production, one man band stuff, and I'll echo the other comments about the vocals sounding really good. You also leaned into that guitar a few times, as you can do . . . very much enjoyed the whole thing.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 8:03 AM, Supa Reels said:

Hi Lynn,

Been waiting for you to update us as to what's new .. and.

The overall mix IMO is really good, I was distracted by the excellent vid work .. what the hell are you using? the sinc is perfect and I think if I lived in the 60s ( I did by the way ... and the 50s for that matter ) I would have wondered if the devil actually helped you ... 

This works sums up your talent in song writing and vid work ... for me it comes in at 10 !

ATB

Steve 🤛

Wow, I have to give your review a 10!  This video resulted from an upgrade to Vegas Pro 20, and I'm using the f/x that comes with it.  All in all, it came out a little spookier than I expected.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:53 AM, mark skinner said:

Hello Lynn , I Really enjoyed that ! No crits or suggestions from me. Very good job with the screen shots following the vocals. Looks like you have a nice touch with a whammy bar. (wish I had one) I think your vocals Really excelled on this. Cool looking studio as well.                   Enjoyed it ..    mark

Mark, your words are greatly appreciated!  I wish you had a whammy bar, too, though I don't miss it in your music.  Great technique goes a long way.

On 8/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, KSband said:

Cool song and good recording! I like the way it's panned and mixed. The vocals sound really good too.

KS, I appreciate your kind words!  Some songs mix themselves better than others; this is one of them.

Hi Lynn
You got the fx just right. Would make a good Halloween vid, all those creepy red colors and all. As always  your voice makes the song (IMO) Good stuff!  And wow I'm impressed by your studio, from what I could see.  Hope you're doing well.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, jack c. said:

some nice sounds.jack c

Thank you, Jack!  That's very comforting coming from one as prolific as  you!

On 8/9/2023 at 9:44 PM, noynekker said:

Outstanding work Lynn ! . . . much respect for how you captured the many lead vocal and echo + harmony parts in the video production, one man band stuff, and I'll echo the other comments about the vocals sounding really good. You also leaned into that guitar a few times, as you can do . . . very much enjoyed the whole thing.

I'm a big fan of yours, so your comments are very welcome!  This was a fun song to perform, and I'm glad it's reflected in the mix.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:13 AM, daryl1968 said:

loving this Lynn - great stuff. The video works really well too

Thanks, Daryl, this is good news!  Congrats on your latest round of songs!

12 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Hi Lynn
You got the fx just right. Would make a good Halloween vid, all those creepy red colors and all. As always  your voice makes the song (IMO) Good stuff!  And wow I'm impressed by your studio, from what I could see.  Hope you're doing well.
-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn!  I'm doing OK, though very busy these days acting as a caregiver which takes away from my internet time.  I'm happy to hear your view of the f/x because that is a major concern of mine.  It turned out to be creepier than I expected, so it might be a good Halloween song.  Don't be too fooled by the looks of my studio;  if you saw the raw footage, you'd realize what a mess it is ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lynn,

Great track, performance and really solid mix.    Your drums and bass are grooving together very well and are well balanced with the rest of the track.  Great listen.   

Can't comment on the video, those type of visual effects give me vertigo with my astigmatism:(   What i saw looked good though...

Regards

• Like 1

22 hours ago, markno999 said:

Lynn,

Great track, performance and really solid mix.    Your drums and bass are grooving together very well and are well balanced with the rest of the track.  Great listen.   

Can't comment on the video, those type of visual effects give me vertigo with my astigmatism:(   What i saw looked good though...

Regards

Mark, your comments give me great comfort!  I'm happy you like the bass/drums groove because this song started on the bass.  I used AD2 at the time but was unhappy with their 5/4 beats, so I programmed the drums to lock into the groove.  As for the video f/x, I have astigmatism, too, which explains why they turned out that way ;)

On 8/8/2023 at 4:29 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Hello to all my CW friends!  It has been a hectic summer for me, but I managed to get one project finished.  This is a song that I wrote and posted on the old song forum in 2014.  Since then, I remixed it with fresh, new tools and filmed this video just a few weeks ago.  I admit that it's rough, in fact, the raw footage is SO rough that I had to dress it up with various f/x to hide the poor lighting and staging.  This should probably be seen as a first cut, no more.  However, it's gritty enough to convey a sense of urgency which is what I was looking for, more or less.  It is a wide-open book, just waiting for your input.  As always, much gratitude for your time and patience.

This song was inspired by the old saying "the devil made me do it", nothing else. 

Wow Lynn - this is so cool - great vocal - professional mix.  

Steve

• Like 1

EXCELLENT! Great sense of urgency. Great playing, great singing (keep those two background vocalists, but tell them to get different shirts) and a fine mix. Great guitar playing - searing and hot. And a great mix - everything was exactly where it needed to be.

Your 'limitations' in the video department forced you to get creative; the resulting video REALLY captures the whole devil theme.

Great stuff. (HOT stuff!)

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:24 AM, Wookiee said:

Firstly @Lynn Wilson just tell him to go away he was not invited.

Cool sounding song, mix works well.

Thanks for your wise reply, Wookie!  No sooner said than done.

18 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

EXCELLENT! Great sense of urgency. Great playing, great singing (keep those two background vocalists, but tell them to get different shirts) and a fine mix. Great guitar playing - searing and hot. And a great mix - everything was exactly where it needed to be.

Your 'limitations' in the video department forced you to get creative; the resulting video REALLY captures the whole devil theme.

Great stuff. (HOT stuff!)

Barry, your words are so welcome!  I tried to get those guys to wear something different, but they, instead, got me to wear their uniform.  Only the lead guitar had the good sense to wear something else.  Keep up your good work!

15 hours ago, jwnicholson78 said:

Loved it.  I feel this takes it up a notch compared to previous songs of yours i've heard.  Really well done.
Also, I like the video as is.  I think it fits the music really well.

JWN, thank you for your kind reply!  This song is more in my wheelhouse than some that I write.  Cheers!

• Like 1