IK Multimedia FX Pick & Mix 2023 Group Buy

ralfrobert

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

That's not how IKM works. Their business model consists of luring new customers in with better deals, then nick and dime them out of all their money once they're already into the scheme. And that doesn't seem like it will change any time soon, especially considering their profits.

Yea, I think it's going to be very interesting to see how they move forward with the success of Tonex in the guitar world.  If they continue with their current approach, I really don't think guitar players will stick with them.  Those guys will turn on a dime and all the progress IK has made will be gone in a flash.  I REALLY hope they have a plan.  Guitar gear is an entirely different world than the plugin market and if they screw that up for guitarists by nickel a diming them, there's no way they'll use IK for anything .

18 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Actually I just visited the Upgrades page in my IKM account and there's a complete change! Didn't figure out if more for good or for bad, yet...:D 

Ahem.

IK’s New Upgrade-for-all Policy

IK has greatly simplified the upgrade/crossgrade process for returning customers, introducing a single upgrade-for-all policy.

Regardless of the IK product purchased, all registered IK users of any paid product will now have access to relevant software products at upgrade pricing.

To be eligible, the registration of any paid product, be it software, hardware or even just an app,* is the only simple requirement.

The way I read that (and I hope I am wrong), someone who owns a license for a single paid product gets the same upgrade benefit as someone (for example) who has paid for 80-90% of the contents of a bundle.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:56 PM, User 905133 said:

Hope you can help convince the powers that be to offer a really good upgrade offer to loyal IK Customers.

The idea is to really reward brand loyalty to those who have been most loyal (as evidenced by past purchases) with a progressive pricing structure.

Again, I hope I am wrong, but if the new an upgrade pricing plan treats someone who owns a single product the same as someone who has spent hundreds or thousands of dollars or euros for licenses, that is not what I would call a progressive pricing structure to reward customer loyalty.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Release said:

Yea, I think it's going to be very interesting to see how they move forward with the success of Tonex in the guitar world.  If they continue with their current approach, I really don't think guitar players will stick with them.  Those guys will turn on a dime and all the progress IK has made will be gone in a flash.  I REALLY hope they have a plan.  Guitar gear is an entirely different world than the plugin market and if they screw that up for guitarists by nickel a diming them, there's no way they'll use IK for anything .

Tonex is the most brilliant thing they have ever done.  The pedal is exceptional and they put entry into the world to taste it for free and then had reasonable sales to get in on the unlimited capture tier.  Then priced the pedal to actually make sense.

They also dropped the price on the X series pedals which were overpriced, IMo.  

Opening the gates for 3rd parties to release captures gives us a lot of options.  Honestly it is the 3rd party packs overall (and my own captures) is what I use.  Got max because it came with the pedal but I only really needed the low cost tier to get all the non pedal value out of it.  

Curious what the bonamassa situation is going to look like.  There is where I feel a nickel and dime coming.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chris.r said:

It was already few years ago, I thought the case would be long closed...? I told them guys simple steps to reproduce the issue: draw a long note, like a few bars long. Then draw a smooth crescendo of any control change over it, best would be one that is easily heard back like volume cc#7 or any drawbars. On playback it's smooth but when rendering audio or freezing track, controllers will change only once a few seconds, it's broken (and you can see it on the waveform).

Think they've asked me to make a video but for me it was too sketchy at that time, also I had a home move on my head (had actually too much home moving over last couple years!). Also I know of other users with same issue providing a video so they should have everything.

Let me know if it still makes sense to get back on it and I'll search my emails for the ticket number. Thanks

Chris and Peter - I might have been the one that provided the video - anyway, this issue seemed to be fixed in an update and is working smoothly for me now.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dave Schreier said:

Chris and Peter - I might have been the one that provided the video - anyway, this issue seemed to be fixed in an update and is working smoothly for me now.

In what update, Dave?

Edited by chris.r

9 hours ago, chris.r said:

this issue seemed to be fixed in an update

The latest version is 1.3.4. I had it downloaded but for whatever reason I never installed it. Don't remember why, maybe I didn't see the fix mentioned among the few other fixes there. I checked and it works now, Thanks @Dave Schreier !

16 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Ahem.

The way I read that (and I hope I am wrong), someone who owns a license for a single paid product gets the same upgrade benefit as someone (for example) who has paid for 80-90% of the contents of a bundle.

Again, I hope I am wrong, but if the new an upgrade pricing plan treats someone who owns a single product the same as someone who has spent hundreds or thousands of dollars or euros for licenses, that is not what I would call a progressive pricing structure to reward customer loyalty.

You are not wrong.  

They decided to reward all customers the same.  

I own the vast majority of IKM software offerings, and think the upgrade pricing is too much.  Only on special promos and group buys does the software model make financial sense, IMO

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

20 hours ago, Release said:

It's clear that IK could care less about the software front with TONEX. Like the X pedals the software is just an afterthought to market the physical product. And since you can use the pedal without the software, in the end, having a half assed software product is secondary. It's not like the competitors where the software is part of the product.

21 minutes ago, Technostica said:

Apparently, their marketing department has a rifle range attached to it.
Every afternoon, after a boozy lunch, they all retire to the range and see which of them can shoot themselves in the foot the most times.

And this is not a single occurrence. They have a rich history of doing so. About a year ago, I decided to leave this game as it is not very funny any more. 

Currently at 437. When it hits 500 it will turn to buy 1 plugin and get 4 free. But clearly, this group buy is moving at a snail's pace, especially considering that IK is one of the major players in this business (they're clearly a small business technically, but for this industry, they're a pretty big player). Like just about every company, they have their good and down sides to their software, but over all, I find they make very high quality software.

I loathe their installer choosing to install a bunch of plugins I don't want and I loathe that they charge customers to redownload sample libraries for SampleTank and their various sample players. But even with the downsides, I think they're still worth buying from. Plus they employ our friend Peter (Peter and I go back two decades) -- and Peter's a good guy, as most here seem to know.  I definitely am not saying people shouldn't voice things they don't like -- they should, that stuff helps smart companies become better companies, plus it informs our fellow musicians of the realities we have encountered as customers. I'm just saying that despite the issues, IK plugins are still worth buying, IMO. 

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/pickandmix2023/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, ralfrobert said:

And this is not a single occurrence. They have a rich history of doing so. About a year ago, I decided to leave this game as it is not very funny any more. 

Yes, because of their multiple occurrences of being anti consumer, I have no interest in them.
Charging a transfer fee to sell hardware, whilst hiding the firmware updater, drivers etc behind an account is appalling.
To make it worse, for some of their foot controllers, even tbough you pay the fee, they won't transfer the bundled software.
Even though the Amplitube software can be transfered generally.
I can't think of another company that craps on their customers in this way.
It's almost like a comedy for worst customer service.

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Currently at 437. When it hits 500 it will turn to buy 1 plugin and get 4 free. But clearly, this group buy is moving at a snail's pace, especially considering that IK is one of the major players in this business (they're clearly a small business technically, but for this industry, they're a pretty big player). Like just about every company, they have their good and down sides to their software, but over all, I find they make very high quality software.

I'm kind of amazed that IK manage to get significant numbers of people to sign up for these promos because they run group buys so often. Not complaining at all, but many of us are prob in the position where there just isn't anything left to get from them. Or perhaps there is, but joining a group buy now to get the couple of things you're missing doesn't make sense when you can hold off and get more out of one a couple of years down the line.

• Like 2

Just want to give a shoutout to @telecode 101  for giving excellent advice on which freebies I should check out. He recommended the X-Gear and Fulltone effects for Amplitube. I demoed all of them, loved everything, then got them and proceeded to create a bunch of new presets. Thanks, telecode 101, I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Just want to give a shoutout to @telecode 101  for giving excellent advice on which freebies I should check out. He recommended the X-Gear and Fulltone effects for Amplitube. I demoed all of them, loved everything, then got them and proceeded to create a bunch of new presets. Thanks, telecode 101, I appreciate it. 

+1, great suggestions. 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:56 PM, telecode 101 said:

throw in the new morely. one of the pedals is already part of AT5 max.

I giveth (props) yet taketh away... We cannot add Morley but the group buy has added AmpliTube 5 and T-RackS 5 v2.

Also, the GB is at 6 for the price of 1 now.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, Technostica said:

I can't think of another company that craps on their customers in this way.

Reason Studios comes to mind with their recent efforts of gently forcing people to subscribe to Reason+ or upgrade to Reason 12. I had to download Reason Limited from a pirate site because they simply removed the download for it. For IK, I had to create another account to download the content on the free versions of SampleTank, and Syntronik, because these also expire.