Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

On 6/7/2023 at 4:26 AM, Take59 said:

What happens to users who are entitled to Lifetime Updates on SONAR Platinum? SONAR Platinum was discontinued shortly after I paid the lifetime update fee. I think it will be a problem if the rights are not continued in the new SONAR.

I respectfully say take it up with Gibson, they are the ones who shafted you (and me), not Bandlab.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

30 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Since BandLab has no legal obligation to honor lifetime updates to SONAR, I think a good solution would be a crossgrade.

Those licenses were purchased from another company, and that's what crossgrades are all about.

Nicely put. Definitely one option to be hoped for. It would be again a very generous gift from "them"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TearOfTheStar said:

Will it be on Steam like Sonar was? Some installation clunkiness aside, it is handy to have it all in there. Sonar, Z3ta, Rapture.

There's a bunch of hurdles involved with having to deliver the app through Steam, so rather than divert those resources, it'll remain as a download from BandLab as it is now.  

• Like 3

As someone who never used the Bandlab online DAW - it has online real time collaboration, doesn’t it? So do you think Bandlab Next offers something similar? And probably better performance/lower latency since it’s a desktop app? This would be very interesting!!

edit: not talking about real time in the sense of being able to play together without conceivable latency, of course. But I really liked the jams with friends years ago when we defined a loop area in Ohm Studio and everyone recorded into the loop. And new tracks and parts would suddenly pop up with time.

Edited by TVbene

6 minutes ago, TVbene said:

As someone who never used the Bandlab online DAW - it has online real time collaboration, doesn’t it? So do you think Bandlab Next offers something similar? And probably better performance/lower latency since it’s a desktop app? This would be very interesting!!

Interesting idea, BandLab (the DAW) and Cakewalk Next are developed by two completely different groups in the company. One way to find out is sign up for the Next beta.

Just now, scook said:

Interesting idea, BandLab (the DAW) and Cakewalk Next are developed by two completely different groups in the company. One way to find out is sign up for the Next beta.

Yes I immediately did!

Outside the issue of the desirability of Sonar as a new  ( and potentially very good) paid product that i will probably buy, be it on a subscription or single copy model, I'm still seeing a lot of ambiguity whether users will be able to "freeze" a  Cwb  system and continue to run it in the future.

None of the statements from Bandlab  staff  in this thread  confirm,  to me,  that the "end of support" of Cwb does not include turning off the the current authorization server, and that the first time Cwb attempts its periodic  reauthorization after the end of support, it will fail and shut down.

I'm not saying that Bandlab cannot do this.  They have no contractual obligation to continue Cwb that I can see.  But it would  reassure a lot of users if we could have an unambiguous answer to this question.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, martinh said:

I'm not saying that Bandlab cannot do this.  They have no contractual obligation to continue Cwb that I can see.  But it would  reassure a lot of users if we could have an unambiguous answer to this question. 

The more they delay that answer, the more it confirms that there's a high chance this is what they'll end up doing. Same with not giving a straight answer in regards to subscription plans.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Since BandLab has no legal obligation to honor lifetime updates to SONAR, I think a good solution would be a crossgrade.

Those licenses were purchased from another company, and that's what crossgrades are all about.

2 hours ago, Warren Postma said:

I hope that they offer perpetual sonar licenses, and continue to honor prior lifetime sonar owner's lifetime upgrades.

If this happens, I hope that long-term Cakewalk/SONAR users also get a crossgrade deal, not just those who paid money to Gibson.  Some of us were long-term customers of the Twelve Tone Systems and Roland versions of Cakewalk products.  I hope this is not going to a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  So far it seems like there are a lot of squeaky wheels.  😜 

BTW, based on some historical website research I did a week or two ago, the specific product was called  "SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates)." If a perpetual Cakewalk Sonar license with lifetime updates is given to people who purchased that product and based on their collective outage, I will be very unhappy if I don't get that, too, just because I was skeptical of the deal when it was offered. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

2 hours ago, scook said:

Интересная идея, BandLab (the DAW) и Cakewalk Next разрабатываются двумя совершенно разными группами в компании. Один из способов узнать это - зарегистрироваться на следующую бета-версию.

Do you know when beta testing will start? thank you in advance

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The more they delay that answer, the more it confirms that there's a high chance this is what they'll end up doing. Same with not giving a straight answer in regards to subscription plans.

Yea.  I'm not suspecting  bad intent yet, but  I've spent too long dealing with business law not to seek clarification of  statements like:

"We have no intention of pulling the rug  out from under existing Cwb users." 

While this may seem reassuring, I've see similar language  parsed as:

"We have no intention of pulling the rug  out from under existing Cwb users, and  that's  why we're offering them the opportunity of buying  Sonar subscriptions when when we shut down Cwb."  Or;

"We had no intention of pulling the rug  out from under existing Cwb users at the time we made that statement, because we had not decided on a  final product and pricing structure."

As I said, it's their product and  they can do what they want,  I paid for Sonar Platinum before, and  I'm planning to go on to "new" Sonar if its not prohibitively expensive,   but I do rather wish  they'd be upfront about this issue - yes or no .  Anyone from Bandlab care to comment? 

Edited by martinh

No, Nein, Ingen, Nej, Não, Nee.

This topic has been touch on throughout this thread since page 1. Management have made everything crystal clear already. Further information on the pricing will be announced in future announcements. 

Edited by Will.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:47 AM, Starship Krupa said:

A simple remote control app for iOS and Android.

Here's another. It was a big factor in my decision to go with Mixcraft almost 10 years ago:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acoustica.ControlSurface&hl=en_US&gl=US

Simple transport control, but man, for situations like recording yourself at the drums, it's valuable.

Of course, once introduced, you open yourself up to endless feature requests to implement mixer control and whatnot, but it is a very useful feature.

AFAIK, at least Logic, Mixcraft, and Studio One all have one. Pro Tools, too, probably.

Mike with Creative Sauce posted a How To Remotely Control Cakewalk video about three years ago using an app called TouchDAW.

• Like 3