Scaler 2 updated to 2.7.1>> 2.7.3

Sander Verstraten

Scaler 2 has been updated, as per usual open the drop down at PB to see the latest version.

2.7.1 (available December 2nd, 2022)

• Improvements

Edit chord velocities now uses the user input instead of the default velocity.

Prevent hung notes when using multi-voice-output with triggered note on MIDI FX.

Improve Next/Previous navigation in User chord sets when using Auto-Play.

Add ability to Auto-Play while in detect screen.

Fix Avant-Garde 5 phrase for major chords.

Improve Daw-Sync playback

Fix calculation issue causing notes with 0 duration in played MIDI

Edited by Sander Verstraten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

I've been trying to persist with Scaler - it's not an easy learn in my view, because there's not only a lot going on under the hood but also a lot of music theory that's worth delving into; in order to really get the most out of it.

My current favoured workflow is to grab some of the built in song progressions I like and mess around with these in the pattern grid editor to build song parts (intro, verse, pre-chorus etc). 

I can map each of the pattern grids to key switches and 'play' in a song chord track. Record the resultant MIDI pattern into EzKeys and use the 'use browser midi' function in EzKeys to play the song sections (using suitable styles from the built in midi packs) to build up a song.

Using this technique, I can create an underlying chord track and multiple more complex piano or other instrument tracks to layer in a song. 

I don't have any finished original projects to share yet, but I'm working on a few when I have time (bit busy at the moment though as lots of life stuff going on).

Pound for pound, Scaler has to be the best value VST I've bought in a long time.

Andy

• Like 6

On 12/13/2022 at 5:56 PM, Reid Rosefelt said:

it’s essentially  abandonware.  They rarely update it.   Sometimes days, or even weeks go by without a free update.

...I don't think so. I believe that the Scaler team has a strategy of releasing point updates 2 or 3 times a year (and these are free). Scaler 2.5 to the current release, 2,7,1, appears to be a stable product.  They  only release a further update (e.g. 2.7.1) if there is a significant bug that needs to be fixed urgently, and I am not aware of any of significant bugs at the moment, although I think there is a known issue with MACs that appears to be down to interaction between the MAC OS and Logic. (not an issue for Cakewalk users).

Support for Scaler is through the User Forum which is fairly active with support being supplied by both users (as per this forum) and the Dev Team.

In addition to this I believe the strategy for major (version) updates is every two to three years. Earlier this year they were asking for suggestions for Scaler 3, which I think is planned for 2023.  So this doesn't sound like abandonware to me. 

7 minutes ago, Roger_L said:

...I don't think so. I believe that the Scaler team has a strategy of releasing point updates 2 or 3 times a year (and these are free). Scaler 2.5 to the current release, 2,7,1, appears to be a stable product.  They  only release a further update (e.g. 2.7.1) if there is a significant bug that needs to be fixed urgently, and I am not aware of any of significant bugs at the moment, although I think there is a known issue with MACs that appears to be down to interaction between the MAC OS and Logic. (not an issue for Cakewalk users).

Support for Scaler is through the User Forum which is fairly active with support being supplied by both users (as per this forum) and the Dev Team.

In addition to this I believe the strategy for major (version) updates is every two to three years. Earlier this year they were asking for suggestions for Scaler 3, which I think is planned for 2023.  So this doesn't sound like abandonware to me. 

Reid was making a joke 😉. They update and improve it so regurlarly that not getting an update/upgrade every week or so seems like a long time.

• Like 2

No.  I was dead serious you guys.    I expect at LEAST 40 or 50 updates an hour!  And they each should have videos and tons of incredible new features.    I've been sitting around for five seconds. Maybe even SIX!  C'mon! Let's see some action, Dave!  🤬

They are so fricking lazy. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Haha 5

This is not ironic:

Scaler is one of the best pieces of software I have ever purchased. And the price is so reasonable.  Amazing value for what you get.  

There are a few other companies that treat their customers super well, but Scaler is at the top of the list.

All these free updates are greatly appreciated.

Thank you Dave and all the developers of Scaler.  I look forward to what you come up with next.

I'm sure everybody here will happy buy Scaler 3 whenever it comes out.  It's going to be really something.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This is not ironic:

Scaler is one of the best pieces of software I have ever purchased. And the price is so reasonable.  Amazing value for what you get.  

There are a few other companies that treat their customers super well, but Scaler is at the top of the list.

All these free updates are greatly appreciated.

Thank you Dave and all the developers of Scaler.  I look forward to what you come up with next.

I'm sure everybody here will happy buy Scaler 3 whenever it comes out.  It's going to be really something.

Just wondering.. how does it compared to EZKeys?

7 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Just wondering.. how does it compared to EZKeys?

Different kind of workflow and approach, IMO.  Though some of the concepts overlap.  

I have EZKeys and used it on a number of projects.  The interface is too small and it feels clunky to me in terms of adding then selecting a new chord.  It does do a number of things well and you can technically even use both as complimentary products.  Ex.   Create chord progression in Scaler 2, import that progression into EZKeys and then apply a "style" to those chords and EZKeys will play your chord progression using one of the style packs you purchased.  

Scaler isn't perfect, but it is worth checking out and is perhpas the only VST that comes to mind where after using it I actually think the non-sale price is truly worth it, but it won't be that way for everyone.  (and at currently $39, fantastic time to grab it)

Not sure what the trial version is actually like, but I'd watch a few intro videos and give it a shot to see if it adds something to your workflow.  

• Like 1

EZKeys isn't a tool for helping you create chord progressions.  You need to put them in.
Scaler is a tool to help you make more interesting chord progressions than you would by yoursef.  It also comes with a lot of ready-made chord progressions in various styles made by various musicians, to get you started.

Like @Brian Walton  I think it's a lot easier to input chord progressions in Scaler.

EZKeys is dedicated to keys sounds.  Scaler comes with all kinds of sounds from Bass to Guitars to Strings, with patterns to match. 

Personally I think you can get more out of a copy of Scaler than a whole bunch of EZKeys expansions, but only if you take the time to learn how to use it.  EZKeys is EZ.

And if you're looking for specific genres, it's nice to be able to buy what you want from the EZKeys library. 

I can play piano, so EZKeys doesn't interest me that much.  It does what it does and it's the same whether you play piano or not.  But tools like EZKeys and ujam Virtual Pianos take my playing to a new level. 

I am a big fan of the ujam Virtual Pianos and I highly recommend downloading the free demos and seeing if you like them.  They are admittedly pricey, but you never know when there will be a deep discount on a ujam product.

• Like 1