So who's shopping for something specific right now?

Christian Jones

Me I'm shopping for a backup singers vst library. There's actually hardly any out there. Not a choir library, but backup singers like in a blues band. I've found just two worth mentioning; Vintage Vocals by Big Fish Audio which is a few years old I think, and EastWest Hollywood Backup Singers which was released this year. Checking them both out on Tube it's clear that VV--a kontakt instrument--is severely limited compared to HBS which is its own vst and has much more control and features. VV is $150 on sale http://www3.bigfishaudio.com/email_images/vintagevocalsrelease18/bigfishaudiovintagevocalsvintagebundlerelease30618.html   and HBS is $134.98 w/ Spring2020 code here https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/virtual-instruments/eastwest-hollywood-backup-singers  Normally HBS is $399 I guess but folks is poor right now though maybe that's still an intro price idk. I'll probably get that as it's newer, sounds good near as I can tell and you can always grime them up w/ saturation etc plus it has a word builder. What are you guys shopping for or are you just biting on whatever King Lar posts like I be doing? 

• Like 2

Most of the posts on that VI thread are about the word builder, but I'm really more interested in the backup singer style oohs and ahhs. Some also complained that the pitch was a little flat, but you know I'm not sure that's an issue for me anyway as I play a grimy blues doom ***** rock that would probably benefit from vibey slightly flat bg vocals. Too bad there's no male bg voacls6on there though 

Edited by Christian Jones
Lol the forum censored out "g r e a s e r"? G r e a s e r rock.. that's a bad thing? lol
  • Like 2

My next purchase is Pro X5 Suite upgrade...

Too much in that package to pass up.

Convology XT Complete alone sells for $349!
It also gets me Soundforge Pro13
The upgrade from Spectral Layers 6 to 7
The new coreFX Suite 
iZotope RX 7 Elements & Ozone 9 Elements for restoration & mastering
11 New VI's
ARA2
The Wavecolor for visual editing
The Tempo Track

I feel there is enough there to warrant the price...
especially after I've offed the things I don't care about!

• Like 1

I have ,psamplitude 3 which I purchased after we all thought cakewalk was done,  but the learning curve is tough, even with Kraznet videos there is not a lot out there that I’m aware of when I search for tutorials. I do love  the restoration tools As I learn to use them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alan said:

I have ,psamplitude 3 which I purchased after we all thought cakewalk was done,  but the learning curve is tough, even with Kraznet videos there is not a lot out there that I’m aware of when I search for tutorials. I do love  the restoration tools As I learn to use them.

It is quite a formidable package.  There's a lot there to take in, and that contributes
greatly to the "Learning Curve".  What I always remind myself is that DAW's all do
basically the same thing.  What's different is HOW MUCH they can, and how they 
get there.  Once that mindset has been achieved, learning a new one isn't so intimidating!

14 minutes ago, Alan said:

I was in the same boat. I purchased Samplitude 3 and it is a wonderful and incredibly deep program. I spent a lot of time getting to learn it, but I never was happy, or comfortable recording, and mixing with it. I've moved to Reaper a couple of years ago, and could not be happier. 

• Like 1

A few Embertone libraries - everything those guys release is gold.

Maybe a great deal to upgrade to Ozone 9 Standard/Advanced from O 8 Standard. 

Still missing a few EZX's, watching the sales. 

Some cheapo/quality bass amp sims. 

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Have you considered the Realivox ladies?   It's still really  good  for oos and ahs in my book.  it has polyphonic legato.

https://realitone.com/products/realivoxladies

And it goes on sale now and then.

That one seems cool too and I'll remember it, thanks for the tip. I like those more soulful timbres of those black girls on HBS

I love both Blue as well as Ladies. Something very rewarding about these singers. Just upgraded my copy of Blue to Kontakt Player for twenty bucks. 

Edith: okay. 

Edited by Fleer
  • Like 1

I've been going the hardware route lately. I'm now up to 2x UA-610s, 2x KT2As and 2x KT76s. 

I ordered some upgrades for my drum mics. 1 Earthworks snare mic as an alternative to the top SM57 (keeping the bottom SM57 in place), and one D12 Kick drum mic as an alternative to the D112 bullet kick drum mic. I ordered an extra SM57 so that I can mic a guitar amp with an ordered Wilkinison Audio Fredman mic holder.

I'm considering building a guitar amp isolation box for my Line 6 Spider IV 75 and maybe picking up a Vox low wattage combo amp that could fit in the same isolation box as an alternative to the Line 6.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1