Cakewalk Next or Cakewalk Sonar?

16 hours ago, Heath Row said:

"Can't open CbB projects" but I beleive it can go the other way? if so someone who was travelling and used it to sketch out an idea may find it useful later on to get it back into Sonar?

If you don’t buy Sonar you will have no way to open CWP file once Cakewalk is de activated which will probably  happen with in this year. 
You will need to have an older version of Sonar which the majority of CbB users don’t have. 
These are the people who are the most upset about all this.
They have all their last few years of projects in a format that will now cost money to use. 
Im optimistic that they will solve this huge issue by offering a free version.  A Sonar Home Studio 2024 

• Great Idea 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:08 PM, Heath Row said:

While all the above are the correct answer, there is another one to think about, at present you can have them both for a year st s discount of 30%, either $10.99 for the first month the $14.99 for the remaining 11, or $104.99 for the first year, then $149.50 for any further year/years you choose to continue. You can cancel at anytime, but you best read up the terms etc if you decided to go down this path.

You basically get both Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar and a heap of extras, 'perks' that may or may not be of interest to you.

https://blog.bandlab.com/bandlab-membership/

I think that will get you there, how long the 30% discount lasts I know not.

I couldnt find where it says that Next and Sonar were included.

31 minutes ago, John Vere said:

If you don’t buy Sonar you will have no way to open CWP file once Cakewalk is de activated which will probably  happen with in this year. 
You will need to have an older version of Sonar which the majority of CbB users don’t have. 
These are the people who are the most upset about all this.
They have all their last few years of projects in a format that will now cost money to use. 
Im optimistic that they will solve this huge issue by offering a free version.  A Sonar Home Studio 2024 

Sonar Home Studio or even Sonar Music Creator would be a decent compromise.

1 hour ago, brandon said:

I couldn't find where it says that Next and Sonar were included.

That's because it doesn't.
Currently Backstage Pass activates Sonar.
As to whether or not that will always be case?
That's the rub isn't it? We just don't know...
My guess is that is one of the paths forward.
Noel has said there is a "purchase" plan in the works; no timetable as of yet.

t

• Like 2

I’m finishing up all of my CbB projects in preparation to move on. I certainly don’t want to get caught without a way to finish them and Old Sonar won’t support various VSTs or Melodyne 5.

Edit: Added the 5 to Melodyne for clarity. 

Edited by Terry Kelley

If they end use of Cakewalk DAW, that will be a very daft move imo.

it was designed as a free daw to attract people to the bandlab platform,

I can see a Native Instruments/Plugin alliance scenario happening.

DON'T DO IT

8 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I’m finishing up all of my CbB projects in preparation to move on. I certainly don’t want to get caught without a way to finish them and Old Sonar won’t support various VSTs or Melodyne. 

Sonar supported Melodyne as far back as X1

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:50 AM, John Vere said:

If you don’t buy Sonar you will have no way to open CWP files once Cakewalk is deactivated which will probably  happen within this year. 

Haha. For the past ten months or so I've been thinking if I don't like what New Sonar has to offer, I'll just say a (bittersweet) goodbye to my favorite DAW and switch to something else. Thanks, @John Vere for pointing out that if I do that I will lose access to the past 20 years of projects, including some that were never all the way finished. I still have a couple of older, buggier editions of SONAR, but I dread firing one of those up and trying to get anything done. I could make it my full time job for the next few months extracting stems from those old projects, but of course I used a lot of plugins that only work with SONAR or CbB, and I've never had occasion to extract stems before, so I'd have to learn how to do that, and probably get a new drive to hold all those redundant files. Jeez. April Fools on me, I guess.

Edited by Larry Jones
clarity

I had no problem opening new Sonar files in CbB or old Sonar 8.02 and vice versa. However, old Sonar didn't like my VST3 plugins.

That said, I decided to close out anything of importance for when that day arrives. But you can always get a one month subscription to the new Sonar to finish anything up and export it to the new DAW. That's my plan for any "ah crap" moments.

I think it is quite safe to say at this point that some version of Sonar moving forward will be affordable just for this reason. On the small chance that I don't continue with Sonar, I would for sure still purchase a basic version. Because.... 

Yes- we can use older versions but those better be X3 and backwards to be "Server proof"  And ya, not a great choice unless you are desperate. I'm not that desperate. 

Sonar Plat still ultimately requires the old Gibson server to activate. They have no solid reason to maintain that as time goes on.  Write that version off too! 

You get a artificial view of the Cakewalk user base from this forum which is mainly made up of long time users. 

The option to use an older version of Sonar is NOT an option for a huge majority of currant FREE Cakewalk users.  A huge chunk of these people will look at other free DAW's. This is why I think they will come up with a real stripped down version that is either free of super cheap.   

On 4/1/2024 at 3:37 AM, Mr No Name said:

If they end use of Cakewalk DAW, that will be a very daft move imo.

it was designed as a free daw to attract people to the bandlab platform,

What do you mean when you say Cakewalk was designed to attract people to the bandlab platform? 

23 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

What do you mean when you say Cakewalk was designed to attract people to the bandlab platform? 

That seemed to be its function at first. Re-release this classic program to be used at no cost, but it requires creating a BandLab account.

So for years, it acted as a promotional loss-leader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well well well, I'll be purchasing Sonar today, shortly in fact, after what PreSonus has just pulled I'm afraid that's it for Studio One for me, so it's either Sonar or REAPER for me, I'll take a shot with Sonar first

I still got all my files for all my stuff for SONAR Platinuim and x3, and installation stuff all the way back to ProAudio 9,so if worst comes to worst I got something to fall back on :) but i'm sure Sonar or REAPER will see me through to the end, only a few years to go.

31 minutes ago, Heath Row said:

...after what PreSonus has just pulled I'm afraid that's it for Studio One for me...

I am not in the know, what happened?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the other thread...

Edited by Jacques Boileau

11 hours ago, Heath Row said:

Well well well, I'll be purchasing Sonar today, shortly in fact, after what PreSonus has just pulled I'm afraid that's it for Studio One for me, so it's either Sonar or REAPER for me, I'll take a shot with Sonar first

Would you like some gravy with your pie?

It is an awful lot of pie.

Might help it go down easier.

😀