Dark Skies and Clouds

noynekker

Hi all , another new song . . . it's a collaboration with one of my favourite UK songwriters "Wicked Deeds" (as he's known on Soundcloud) . . . been following him for a few years, and finally got an opportunity to do something together. Just simple, 2 guitars strumming and vocals for now . . . might expand it another day . . .

• Like 4

Bruce , I think you've outdone yourself on this one! Amazing what you can get out of your Yakima. Everything is light and happy sounding. Great job with keeping the song going with such sparceness instrumentally..  Your vocals are Really Nice with Great delivery. 

Of course.. I can hear places where a full band mix coming in would take it to another level but, this is Super impressive as it is.  

Loved it ..   mark

On 3/27/2024 at 7:49 AM, Wookiee said:

Nicely done track mix works nicely here.

@Wookiee . . . thanks for your listen, and mix confirm . . . when it's just guitar and vocal, seems you still have to sweep out some low end, and I played around a lot to find the right amount.

On 3/27/2024 at 4:56 PM, mark skinner said:

Bruce , I think you've outdone yourself on this one! Amazing what you can get out of your Yakima. Everything is light and happy sounding. Great job with keeping the song going with such sparceness instrumentally..  Your vocals are Really Nice with Great delivery. 

Of course.. I can hear places where a full band mix coming in would take it to another level but, this is Super impressive as it is.  

Loved it ..   mark

Thank you so much Mark ! (LOL it's a Yamaki, not a Yakima) . . . I did also wonder how to do this with a full band, harmonies, solos in the instrumental sections, maybe another version will be discovered some day. I kept it simple mostly because the music part came so quickly (for a change), so kept it the way it arrived.

Thanks for your support and listening

Bruce

• Like 1

17 hours ago, garybrun said:

Well done Bruce.
Nice vocal.

Did you mix it yourself?

we all paint different pictures.. on my system I would bring forward the vocals just a little bit more,

@garybrun . . . Thank you for your ears ! . . . yes, I'm the guilty mixer here :)

The vocals are running through a Nectar 3 vocal chain with dynamic EQ, de-esser, saturation, reverb (with rolled off highs and lows), small hint of compression, but it also it uses an Auto Level setting . . . which is very touchy . . . I'll have a closer look at that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, noynekker said:

@garybrun . . . Thank you for your ears ! . . . yes, I'm the guilty mixer here :)

The vocals are running through a Nectar 3 vocal chain with dynamic EQ, de-esser, saturation, reverb (with rolled off highs and lows), small hint of compression, but it also it uses an Auto Level setting . . . which is very touchy . . . I'll have a closer look at that.

Remember this is just my personal opinion on the vocals.
The reverb sets it back as the guitars are in a different space.
Some people when they mix their own vocals put it back a little in the mix..  not like guitarists   🙂

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...