Cakewalk 2024.02 Early Access

cclarry

We're pleased to announce Early Access of 2024.02! This release is primarily a maintenance release that includes a few bug fixes.  It also adds compatibility for the new Cakewalk Product Center application.

Please note:

CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release. If you wish to continue to use CbB, you must update to the 2024.02 version when it is released to the public. Earlier versions will cease to activate in the future.

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2024.02 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2022.11 or later. 

Download Cakewalk 2024.02 EA installer

There is no rollback installer for this version.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.

Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N1Aa1VsKBC4wpVP1sYPtfgePxbdihI0r/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

New Cakewalk Product Center

The new Cakewalk Product Center application has been released. This app will be the central portal to install and manage all future Cakewalk products going forward. CbB has now been updated to work with this app and offline activation for Cakewalk is now available once more by using Product Center.

Click the link below to read more about Cakewalk Product Center.

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"Note: Offline activation is currently only available for Sonar and Cakewalk by BandLab."
Need to wrap my head around what this applies to (Next?), but at the moment not an issue for me...

Edited by TheSteven

It's good to know, that Sonar is not abandoned and is about to get a fresh new start. Can hardly wait for the release! I do hope that this new Sonar will be just as stable and fast evolving as it used to be. Don't want to stir up any highly emotional discussion by comparing it to other DAWs, it's safe to say, that Sonar ticks all the boxes for me.

Go Bakers!

Edited by Soundwise
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, satya said:

cakewalk is not gonna be free anymore☹️

Yes, same as REAPER was once freeware and is now payware.

Are you suggesting  that if someone likes programs that go from freeware to payware they might also like REAPER?

Seems like an odd criterion....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Are you suggesting  that if someone likes programs that go from freeware to payware they might also like REAPER?

Oh, I so hope Cakewalk Sonar will have the same pricing structure as Reaper... 

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't think it was ever freeware.  You could use it unauthorized.  I've had a Reaper license since it came out.

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Reaper is not FREE .. its $60. Its trusting people to use the "trial" period and then purchase a license after that. Perpetually using it without paying the $60 thereafter is technically illegal I imagine

Don't forget, it's $225 if you plan to use Reaper to sell whatever it outputs.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I don't think it was ever freeware.  You could use it unauthorized.  I've had a Reaper license since it came out.

According to its Wikipedia timeline, it was initially freeware, then became shareware, then fully payware.

It's been payware for a very long time.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Don't forget, it's $225 if you plan to use Reaper to sell whatever it outputs.

This got me thinking....has CbB been putting hidden coding into mixdowns to make them copyright traceable?

This might explain why FUGA auto-detected copyright content in my music when uploading to YouTube.

Edited by 53mph
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 53mph said:

This got me thinking....has CbB been putting hidden coding into mixdowns to make them copyright traceable?

I wouldn't think so...

I've looked deeply into creating imprinting into audio files that isn't audible to the human ear and found that to be extremely difficult when getting into the CD quality 44.1k 16 bit formats.  Anything that compresses or converts like mp3 will completely mess with the signature.

I couldn't wrap my brain around a way to do it without creating your own audio format.

Edit: it would be much easier to stuff a song into a BMP file than to stuff a BMP file into a song and it still be usable.

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If Cakewalk offers a really good upgrade price from version 8.5

The “fiasco” was “lifetime” updates to Sonar Platinum, often referred to as SPLAT. While I’m sure that the “retail” price will be “reasonable” does any manufacturer “owe” someone 5 versions back any discount? Especially if they have supported you for 5+ years for FREE!

Really? Sonar 8.5 was released when?

t

1 minute ago, DeeringAmps said:

The “fiasco” was “lifetime” updates to Sonar Platinum, often referred to as SPLAT. While I’m sure that the “retail” price will be “reasonable” does any manufacturer “owe” someone 5 versions back any discount? Especially if they have supported you for 5+ years for FREE!

Really? Sonar 8.5 was released when?

t

It's all about the name brand, not the years between.

It's fine if they don't want me back.  I still own 8.5, and with Blue Cat Audio Patchwork, I can run VST3 inside it.

It maybe cheaper to buy a used platinum version from ebay that still works with offline installation?

I've got Reaper DAW.

The only thing I'll miss from the newer version of Cakewalk compared to 8.5 is the ability to drag audio up till it turns a line blue, drop it, and then it converts the audio into a tempo map automatically via Melodyne embedded.  I use that feature quite often when I use Cakewalk.