A cry for help.

Bapu

So I use Microsoft Start as my main news feed/home page in Edge. I'm comfortable with both and I don't want to change them.

What is annoying is that any vid links I click on, they are interrupted with ads that I typically have to wait anywhere from 10 to 30 secomds before I get the "Skip Ad" button.

What do I need to do to (I'll even pay for it) to stop these ads.

Help @craigb, I just know you know the answer to this cr@p.

Stop using Edge!

As in now!  In fact, you might even find and install some software called EdgeBlock.

Then use Brave with Adblock Plus.

Edge sends all your information to Microsoft, Chrome sends it to Google.  Brave doesn't send it anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Bapu, not sure if this applies to your situation, but if the videos are on YouTube, you might want to bite the bullet and subscribe to YouTube Premium ($140/year).

I hate subscriptions, but watch a lot of tutorial videos, etc. on YouTube and the cost is worth it for me. YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, craigb said:

Does this affect Windows Defender at all?  BTW, Brave isn't listed on the AdBlock download page?  I used to use Opera quite a bit.

Screenshot2024-01-17164434.jpg.7acfe89ddfe717d1a319d092b6f8e5a0.jpg

Edited by Fwrend

35 minutes ago, craigb said:

Stop using Edge!

As in now!  In fact, you might even find and install some software called EdgeBlock.

Edge sends all your information to Microsoft, Chrome sends it to Google.  Brave doesn't send it anywhere.

But Brave will simply not import all my Favorites etc. I choose the option (with Edge closed) and Brave immediately shuts down. I open Brave again it says it shut down unexpectedly "Restore Pages?". If I say yes I'm right back to choices page, if I say no I'm at the main Brave page with the option (again) to import all my bookmarks/favorites.

Rinse and Repeat ad nauseum. 

A circle jerk if I've ever seen one.

16 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Not familiar with Brave. I use uBLock Origin with Edge (free Extension). Works well for me.

That works in Edge. Nice.

Edited by Bapu

24 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

Bapu, not sure if this applies to your situation, but if the videos are on YouTube, you might want to bite the bullet and subscribe to YouTube Premium ($140/year).

I hate subscriptions, but watch a lot of tutorial videos, etc. on YouTube and the cost is worth it for me. YMMV.

These are not YouTube vids they are links within Microsoft Start.

I do have YouTube Premium.

Edited by Bapu

Adblock Plus is FREE and will block all stupid ads on YouTube.

Brave is simply the Chrome browser with all the parts that save your information removed.

Microsoft likes to "prefer" its own stuff, hence the tool to block Edge from doing stupid stuff in the background.

Since I already was using Chrome, I had all my favorites there and Brave used that.  It should import your other favorites, but maybe you need to do that from Chrome first?  Not sure since I didn't have any issues...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Base 57 said:

The Cakewalk Forum is my homepage. 

Life is too short for any of that other b******t.

But.....but......

How else are you supposed to find out what your opinions should be ?

• Haha 3

On 1/17/2024 at 4:57 PM, Bapu said:

But Brave will simply not import all my Favorites etc.

I never had that issue with other Brave installs. I just installed Brave on my Surface 9 and everything imported as expected.

I know this doesn't help or solve your issue Bapu. Just passing on my experiences. 

On 1/17/2024 at 6:58 PM, craigb said:

Since I already was using Chrome, I had all my favorites there and Brave used that.  It should import your other favorites, but maybe you need to do that from Chrome first?  Not sure since I didn't have any issues...

Isn't the favorite list a simple csv file that could be manually copied from one folder to another? Maybe they don't do it that way any more, or I'm remembering wrong and it never was that way, but I seem to remember it was a simple csv file. I'd look, but I'm stuck on a cell online for the time being.

I recently got YouTube Premium. I love it. It comes with YouTube Music and I'm canceling my XM subscription. I listen to really obscure and very old music and so far nother I searched for has been missing. I really like how I can download what I want to listen to over wifi to save cell data while I'm driving.

I use Brave and you can't use Adblock Plus with it that I can tell. But they have their own secure browser and so far it's blocked everything with ads that I threw at it including YouTube.

I saw a video title the other day that said YouTube is now able to detect ad blockers and slow the video down. I didn't check out the video though.

Prime video through Amazon is showing ads in movies now. Prime is really going downhill and almost not worth paying for anymore. Nothing shows up when it says it's supposed to anymore.

I've got Brave up with AdBlock Plus going right now.  Just sayin'...

Chrome bookmarks are in a file called Bookmarks in this directory: C:\Users\ \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

6 hours ago, craigb said:

I've got Brave up with AdBlock Plus going right now.  Just sayin'...

Chrome bookmarks are in a file called Bookmarks in this directory: C:\Users\ \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

I believe ya. We talked about this before in another thread. I'm on cell only right now so that is probably why I couldn't get it installed. Dat or thuh facked dat I arr swoe'w. 😁

Their browser version I use works really well. I haven't seen a single ad in youtube or any other video site I've tested it with.

Maybe Google Play has it blocked? Hah! I saw a news blurb recently that they got sued and lost over blocking apps on Android. That whole world of blocked apps may open up soon.

• Like 1