Triad (acoustic instrumental) Mix 2

mark skinner

Hello , here's a new instrumental I'm finishing up. I rarely play mandolin or cello but enjoy playing both . Thought I'd do a no pressure instrumental in between vocal songs. Yairi acoustic , "A'"style mandolin and cello used. Kick was built from finger tapping a 15" speaker and percussion (some of it reversed) from tapping and slapping a guitar body. TTS brush kit and additional percussion used. I finally got to use the "whoo" in TTS in a couple of spots. All suggestions for improvement are welcomed .

Thanks ..   mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14708495

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Hello , here's a new instrumental I'm finishing up. I rarely play mandolin or cello but enjoy playing both . Thought I'd do a no pressure instrumental in between vocal songs. Yairi acoustic , "A'"style mandolin and cello used. Kick was built from finger tapping a 15" speaker and percussion (some of it reversed) from tapping and slapping a guitar body. TTS brush kit and additional percussion used. I finally got to use the "whoo" in TTS in a couple of spots. All suggestions for improvement are welcomed .

Thanks ..   mark

Well crafted Mark, and very creative . . . like you made your own au naturale finger drum kit ? Sounds just perfect blended with acoustic instruments. The feel of this is bang on all the way through . . . high fidelity, soothes my ears after a long rough day in my studio.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@KSband Thanks , I like tapping the guitar body while playing , but in this case a different guitar body sounded better than the one I was playing. I ended up seperating them. Worked ok but a little repetative. Thats when I added a few spots with the reversed reverb. Still learning the cello. The only time I play it is when I'm recording.

@noynekker Bruce , appreciate it. I accidentally bumped the cone on a big open speaker cabinet one time and thought it would make a nice kick. Always wanted to try it but kept forgetting about it. I don't think it was cutting thru very well in the 1st mix , so I just adjusted the EQ and side chained it with the bass. A little better now. 

@bmarlowe Thanks for the listen and compliment. I like "weaving". I can't seem to get anything done on a solo guitar.

I made some adjustments to the kick , bass , buss reverb and widened the mix a little. The link now reflects the changes. (mix 2)                   Open for suggestions ..  get as picky as you want.     Thanks ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner

• mark skinner changed the title to Triad (acoustic instrumental) Mix 2

Interesting how you made the percussion. Im with you liking an instrumental in between vocal songs ! I enjoyed this and would describe it as smooth. Now and then when some string parts came in, they were not smooth and to me kinda stood out in the rest of the smoothness. If I was working on this I would probably lower them a tiny bit in volume and eq some of the very highs off. It does offer contrast which is valuable, just commenting with my reaction. Otherwise, smooth and relaxing and easy listening!

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark.
Loved the panning choices...
Very 3D on my system.
Percussion is brill.

We all paint different pictures...
On my system  it seems a little toppy.
I would like to hear some more lower mid.
Could be smoothed out a little?
Just my taste..

• Thanks 1

Very enjoyable tune and performance Mark. I really really like that cello which fits in so well. Kind of surprised it isn't heard more in  music outside of orchestral pieces.
Had no idea there was a "whoo" in TTS.

-Bjorn

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 7:51 AM, mark skinner said:

Thanks ..   mark

I like the combination of stringed and percussion instruments on this one. May I suggest however a slight drum beat to accentuate the high tone of the strings and maracas. 

• Great Idea 1

@jack c. , Thanks Jack. There were a lot of changes to get it to this point .

@treesha , Thanks for the suggestions. I went in and rolled some highs off and did some automation on the cellos to smooth out some of the spots.  It Really needed it. May address it again .Sometimes I'm a little too conservitive with EQ.

@Bajan Blue , Appreciate the comment. I'll probably try that percussion again sometime using a different guitar.

@garybrun , The 3d comment is probably the best I could recieve. ☺️ I've been striving for it for quite a while but never seemed to get there. When I started deleting tracks , it started opening up.  Lesson learned..

@DeeringAmps , Thanks Tom , I always value your opinion and appreciate you weighing in. 

@bjornpdx , Thank You. I think the cello is an Extremely versitile and underused instrument. I once heard a metal band that used 2 of them with FX.  Yeah the "whoo" is in the TTS brush kit. I've hit it by accident quite a few times.

@Bridget Murphy , Thanks for the listen and suggestions. There's some drumwork in there , perhaps not enough. I'll listen closer and look at it when I go back in . 

Thanks for the listens and replys .. mark

• Like 2

Great tune, Mark!  I love the performance, the chord progression, and the terrific engineering that went into this.  You make this sound so smooth that it seems deceptively easy, but I know it's not.  Keep raising that bar!

• Thanks 1

I like this Mark, definitely not Mono friendly but what sado would want to miss the sweetness of this mix. The Stereo spread of the instruments works really well. Nice cello work too the percussion work is slick too..

Love it more please :) 

• Like 1