ASIO2WASAPI FREE by falcosoft

satya

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/asio2wasapi-by-falcosoft

Version 1.2.3.

1. Low latency shared mode buffer size can be configured (and needed update period is derived from buffer size).

2. Added workaround for hosts that do not set control panel dialog's parent window correctly.

3. Fixed problems with non-standard sample rates (e.g. 49716). When shared mode format converter is used actually any sample rates can be used now.

4. Other minor fixes.

for windows

Edited by satya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

^^^^^

This.

If you can't manage to scrimp and save to put +/- $100 together, you might want to rethink your priorities.

In somebodies defense, sometime you just spent a huge whop on the PC/Laptop and a set of decent speakers and you think maybe I should give this music thing a try now that I have a decent computer setup. You know, give it a go before I invest even more money on specialized gear and peripherals. Just saying.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

^^^^^

This.

If you can't manage to scrimp and save to put +/- $100 together, you might want to rethink your priorities.

That would be me.

But my priorities are having something to eat and being able to turn my heating on for a couple of hours in the evening during winter (although even this is rapidly becoming the choice of one or the other). :)

15 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

^^^^^

This.

I guess this appeals more to Windows laptop users.

I've come across users to put together a boutique system only to compliment it with an iTrack Solo or onboard sound.  Yes, it probably suits their needs but it just seems odd to me.  An RME Babyface would be overkill for me but people believe in the myth of the future proof computer hardware while the world is full of audio devices that will outlast Windows system builds.   

I have no clue if WASAPI id the much better than WDM.  I remember when Sonar 2 finally adopted ASIO.   It's been ASIO for me ever since. 

4 hours ago, Lemar Sain said:

In somebodies defense, sometime you just spent a huge whop on the PC/Laptop and a set of decent speakers and you think maybe I should give this music thing a try now that I have a decent computer setup. You know, give it a go before I invest even more money on specialized gear and peripherals. Just saying.

Or you don't feel like spending an extra $50 (the price of entry, based on M-Audio's cheapest interface) and lugging around an extra piece of hardware just so you can compose and mix while traveling or perched in a coffee house.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Realtek hardware CODEC, I've actually read their datasheets, etc.

For ITB work WASAPI Exclusive-on-Realtek will get you there just fine. I've seen EDM artists gigging live with audio coming straight out of their Windows laptops. And here's one anecdotal report: WASAPI-on-Realtek can do a notch faster latency than my PreSonus Studio 2|4 on my notebook using ASIO, go figger.

Dropping the $50 becomes necessary the moment someone wants to record audio. There's just no way around that yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My main DAW is a desktop with a decent interface.

However, there was a time where I would use my laptop to compose on during dead time, where I dropped one kid off at an activity and it's not worth it to do anything else but kill some time at a coffee shop.  In these cases I might not have wanted to lug around a spare interface and didn't have a ton of USB slots to spare.  On top of that I wouldn't want to bring my guitar with me and I doubt anyone in the coffee shop wanted me to sing, giving me no reason to need audio input.  In that case  ASIO4ALL was a perfect solution.  

• Like 6

On 12/25/2023 at 5:48 PM, Lemar Sain said:

Or maybe find out what you're getting into before jumping off the cliff....

Unfortunately, it is often hard to find that out until you go over unless you get advice from someone who has been there before. I get that.

So its not like I don't have sympathy, but reality is reality. Like was pointed out earlier, there's just no way around a real ASIO driver once you start recording audio.

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I remain puzzled as to why nobody has yet come up with a real ASIO driver for Realtek's CODEC. Realtek tried shipping one for a while, but it doesn't work. I know that the FOSS crew don't care for ASIO because it doesn't comply with FOSS licensing, but still....

They don't seem to be that great a development.  I've had issues just installing drivers for onboard sound on some boards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

They don't seem to be that great a development.  I've had issues just installing drivers for onboard sound on some boards

Not driver development, that's for sure. I installed the latest Realtek driver on my notebook and it wouldn't correctly switch between the internal speakers and headphones when I'd plug them in. Had to roll the driver back, do some fiddling, now I have it where I can manually choose between them, still no automatic switching like it's supposed to be.

As for the hardware CODECs themselves, they seem to be pretty good, and they pretty much have a monopoly in the PC motherboard market.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:03 PM, Starship Krupa said:

they pretty much have a monopoly in the PC motherboard market.

This is very true. Almost all mainboards I know of that matter use RealTek.

And they can't afford to hire good driver wizards to develop ASIO drivers for RealTek on-board sound? 

• Sad 1

On 12/26/2023 at 12:22 PM, Magic Russ said:

My main DAW is a desktop with a decent interface.

However, there was a time where I would use my laptop to compose on during dead time, where I dropped one kid off at an activity and it's not worth it to do anything else but kill some time at a coffee shop.  In these cases I might not have wanted to lug around a spare interface and didn't have a ton of USB slots to spare.  On top of that I wouldn't want to bring my guitar with me and I doubt anyone in the coffee shop wanted me to sing, giving me no reason to need audio input.  In that case  ASIO4ALL was a perfect solution.  

Ditto...

When riding subway or other deadtime ASIO4ALL was perfect.

• Like 2