No Respect, No Respect At All

SloHand Solo

I've been exclusively a CW user since the days of DOS in the early 90s.  It friggin' irks the Hell out of me when CW isn't a part of DAW conversations and articles!  I mean, most of the time it's not even mentioned, even when FL or Reaper is talked about!!!

Cakewalk is AWESOME, and I couldn't see myself getting used to any other daw.  It just makes sense.  Maybe that because of how long I've used it.

And on top of how excellent and powerful it is, it's free!!!

I just don't get it!  Is it because they don't want to mention a superb daw in conversations with other daws out if embarrassment for how their own daws pale in comparison. 

• Like 6

I remember when Twelve Tone started the MIDI sequencer (Cakewalk) and would advertise in Modern Musician, Electronic Musician, Mix, and others, and with the introduction of audio editing and Windows 3.0 in '91, stepped up their presence in the trade rags and also at the major trade shows (NAMM & AES).
There was still a bit of adverts and show presence, including the time under the Roland umbrella through to the beginning of the Gibson years as "Cakewalk Pro Audio", when Gibson put it on the back shelf to die as SONAR. From about '95 on, there was intense competition from ProTools, Sonic Solutions, and others for market share, and later when PT became native. Add to the mix the plethora of upstarts like Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, FL, Reaper, et al, and a dwindling desire to market the product, the trade rags (becoming online presence mostly) just forgot about it.
Since Bandlab took the reins as a free product, what marketing budget existed outside of forums, word of mouth, and the net, especially when Apple/PT TDM/HD pretty much had the majority market share in the professional realm, and MOBO/CPU's weren't really up to the task of 'unlimited' multitrack sessions until roughly the turn of the century.
As for proponents and reviewers, it was out of sight, out of mind pretty much after the Gibson years. And a new paid version of Sonar will have, hopefully, a modicum of marketing budget going forward to increase their market share and improve the product.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

I've been exclusively a CW user since the days of DOS in the early 90s.  It friggin' irks the Hell out of me when CW isn't a part of DAW conversations and articles!  I mean, most of the time it's not even mentioned, even when FL or Reaper is talked about!!!

Cakewalk is AWESOME, and I couldn't see myself getting used to any other daw.  It just makes sense.  Maybe that because of how long I've used it.

And on top of how excellent and powerful it is, it's free!!!

I just don't get it!  Is it because they don't want to mention a superb daw in conversations with other daws out if embarrassment for how their own daws pale in comparison. 

While I agree, I'm pretty sure FL is among the most popular DAWs out there from what I've read.

It took me more than a few years to stop being sheepish and obfusactory, when the "So, what DAW do you use?" conversation arose. Especially since, the most common reply back to me was invariably, "Cakewalk, what's that?" But soldiering on, gaining, expressing confidence, I found that curious folk will be intrigued. Perhaps, keep letting people know - they will catch on or it's their loss!

• Like 3

I'm guessing that once Sonar becomes a product that costs money, it will be perceived as something that's here to stay. I'm sure that between the experiences with Roland, Gibson, and then a free version, there were some doubts about longevity

As far as getting press is concerned, althoughMusicTech (which is part of the group of companies that includes BandLab) and Sound on Sound aren't interested in Sonar articles, Sweetwater Publishing is open to making a Sonar tips book part of their catalog. They were even willing to do that before the new Sonar was announced, so clearly their motive wasn't to sell copies of Cakewalk by BandLab :)  At this point I'm just waiting for "New Sonar" to come out so the screenshots and feature set will be current. I think once a book is out, it will (hopefully) contribute at least something to the program's credibility.

• Like 12

Just LAST WEEK I was in Sound Arts Recording in Houston to help a friend with some background vocals.  I've worked there with my friend before so I know the engineer to a degree.  Nice guy.  Great mixer and engineer.  He knows that I used to be his competition with local band projects, but we actually get along very well.  Later, after the work was done, we were just chatting about this and that...and he played my latest track through his system.  When it was done, he asked me to play it again.  After that he asked me what DAW I was using. I told him.  And he said..."You can do all that in Cakewalk?".  I was like...I've always been able to do all that in Cakewalk...lol.

• Like 9

Oddly enough, I seeked out Cakewalk, when I got back into the hobby a couple of years back.

It was from memory of what I thought was the "goto" DAW. I had no idea it would be free (I was willing to pay)

- I think these days, for as much as we are bombarded with advertisement, DAW useage comes more from "word of mouth"/recommendation.

- Reaper has a rabid fanbase (in a good way) who are chomping at the bit to share knowledge.

- FL (don't call it Fruity Loops we are all 'growed up' now) is ALWAYS going to come up when the "I want to become a producer and make beats, which DAW should I get?" question is posted on message boards.

This being said, Cakewalk is doing itself NO FAVORS with this 'you're gonna have to pay, and we aren't going to tell you anything about the new software, but it will have a new (read: "same but uncustomizeable") user interface.

Aaaand the only section/thread specifically hyping up/passing time/increasing excitement here on the official forum... was locked. (and by the way, I'm kind of sick of seeing members here, tell anyone who asks to basically 'shut up and wait.')

Now, all that I really see regarding Cakewalk is the question "so, what are you switching to?"

Even I AM about 10 minutes from jumping ship. And I really don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Meh 2

On 10/31/2023 at 6:33 AM, jfrommichigan said:

j, everything you say in your post is true. I have been “outspoken” when it comes to admonishing what I refer to as “the hand wringers”. 
BUT, from a “marketing” perspective, the last twelve months is a major boondoggle. 
(I’m 71, and have been in retail/service my entire adult life). At this point, I’m concerned that we are approaching “Henry” level alienation of the user base. 
I’m “invested” and will support Cake no matter how long it takes. 
But I am saddened each and every time we lose another user to Studio One, Reaper, etcetera.. so unnecessary. 

t

i don’t believe your post deserves the thumbs down, but I understand those (including me) who are tired and frustrated, of/by all the hand wringing. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 1:33 PM, jfrommichigan said:

Same here, i used it back in the day when it first came out in dos to win95, we used it a university to illustrate midi signals and triggering for code. I left uni and Life got in the way of carrying on with cakewalk . Down the line i noticed Gibson made an absolute dog turd of it when they could have been king if they have foresight. I just hope they don't screw it up again.... 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, jfrommichigan said:

Oddly enough, I seeked out Cakewalk, when I got back into the hobby a couple of years back.

It was from memory of what I thought was the "goto" DAW. I had no idea it would be free (I was willing to pay)

- I think these days, for as much as we are bombarded with advertisement, DAW useage comes more from "word of mouth"/recommendation.

- Reaper has a rabid fanbase (in a good way) who are chomping at the bit to share knowledge.

- FL (don't call it Fruity Loops we are all 'growed up' now) is ALWAYS going to come up when the "I want to become a producer and make beats, which DAW should I get?" question is posted on message boards.

This being said, Cakewalk is doing itself NO FAVORS with this 'you're gonna have to pay, and we aren't going to tell you anything about the new software, but it will have a new (read: "same but uncustomizeable") user interface.

Aaaand the only section/thread specifically hyping up/passing time/increasing excitement here on the official forum... was locked. (and by the way, I'm kind of sick of seeing members here, tell anyone who asks to basically 'shut up and wait.')

Now, all that I really see regarding Cakewalk is the question "so, what are you switching to?"

Why say they haven't told us anything about the new software? That's crazy. IT IS SONAR as in Cakewalk? Do you really think they completely rewrote the whole thing from the bottom up? It is pretty much the paid Version of CWbBL, but not free, with enhancements. Jeeezzz-pretty simple really!

Also, the FREE Version is GREAT and is STILL Free

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Why say they haven't told us anything about the new software? That's crazy. IT IS SONAR as in Cakewalk? Do you really think they completely rewrote the whole thing from the bottom up? It is pretty much the paid Version of CWbBL, but not free, with enhancements. Jeeezzz-pretty simple really!

Also, the FREE Version is GREAT and is STILL Free

The Cakewalk Next "new" DAW been under development for five years, which did create a bit of confusion with current CbB.  

Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) aka that will go back to Cakewalk Sonar in reality is  basically continued development of the existing platform CbB with enhancements yet to be disclosed in full that created some confusion. Talk about the interface and bundle plugins  

Permanent activation will be available once the two "new" DAWs are released and CbB depreciated with crossover period i assume. 

Reality, people will now have to pay for something that is free, so now Cakewalk Sonar is competing with with a stable Studio One and others on price etc , so i am guessing they are getting it solid before launch, given soon as you force subscription or yearly payments people tend to shop about for best deals etc 

5 hours ago, whoisp said:

The Cakewalk Next "new" DAW been under development for five years, which did create a bit of confusion with current CbB.  

Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) aka that will go back to Cakewalk Sonar in reality is  basically continued development of the existing platform CbB with enhancements yet to be disclosed in full that created some confusion. Talk about the interface and bundle plugins  

Permanent activation will be available once the two "new" DAWs are released and CbB depreciated with crossover period i assume. 

Reality, people will now have to pay for something that is free, so now Cakewalk Sonar is competing with with a stable Studio One and others on price etc , so i am guessing they are getting it solid before launch, given soon as you force subscription or yearly payments people tend to shop about for best deals etc 

Yes "I" Know all that. Maybe reply to the person who asked the question-no biggie-just sayin 😉