The 250 Greatest Guitarists of All Time By Rolling Stone

kennywtelejazz

There are a lot of rankings that I can't understand:

Jeff Beck in fifth or Chuck Berry in second are completely out of place in my opinion, or

Sister Rosetta in sixth.

Is it true that such a ranking will always be subjective?

• Like 2

Whenever an entry starts with a justification like "he or she may no actually be a very good guitarist, but he or she creates interesting stuff", you know you're dealing with BS. But again, it's Rolling Stone.

250 relevant guitarists would already be better.

Any list that has The Edge (whom I sincerely like and appreciate) but no Danny Gatton or Django  (I only browsed through the top 50) is a joke.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

Two people in the top 6 shouldn't be that far up there. Were they innovators and pioneers, absolutely, but were they "great guitar players", I dont think so at all. And the first line of #6's story tells you all you need to know about why they are even considered. At that point I knew the article really wasn't about music.

Hendrix was amazing at manipulating his guitar, making noise, and playing around in the studio, but that doesnt make you a great guitar player. And definately not #1. And after seeing a lot of concert footage of Page I still don't believe that's the same person on their studio recordings.

To me, the true greats are people like from The Wrecking Crew. People like Campbell who have been on so many recordings in almost every genre. But those days are gone now so how do you even approach this subject anymore? I see 25 year olds sitting in their living room in front of a mic playing live on YouTube and Twitch that can play better and sing better than 3/4 of the people on that list.

Maybe the list should be called best known guitar players?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Yeah, no.

lol

😅

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Hilarious!

Great troll post Kenny!

Any list that puts some of THOSE in, but leaves out Craig Goldy and Walter Trout (among others) is a laugh! 😆

I  decided to start this thread because I got PO'ed myself after I found a few of my favorite guitar players not even  listed .

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Whenever an entry starts with a justification like "he or she may no actually be a very good guitarist, but he or she creates interesting stuff", you know you're dealing with BS. But again, it's Rolling Stone.

250 relevant guitarists would already be better.

Any list that has The Edge (whom I sincerely like and appreciate) but no Danny Gatton or Django  (I only browsed through the top 50) is a joke.

Yep the BS runs deep in this article ....relevant ? yeah maybe a truer context.  Yet some how the greatest guitar players of all time  may be the ticket for getting magazine sales ... # 70 Django Reinhardt

1 hour ago, Pragi said:

There are a lot of rankings that I can't understand:

Jeff Beck in fifth or Chuck Berry in second are completely out of place in my opinion, or

Sister Rosetta in sixth.

Is it true that such a ranking will always be subjective?

Yes I'm having a hard time understanding the rankings myself ...there seems to be no objectivity in this article whatsoever ....

I'm still looking to find George Benson in there ...

all the best,

Kenny

• Like 1

To get some satisfaction on this topic I'm thinking we may have a multitude  of choices here ...

#1, We can break out into a full out John Wayne bar room style fight where everyone is getting hit with chairs stools and punches 🤣 at least they looked like they were having fun and nobody got hurt ( it seems )

or

#2 , We can do something like a David Letterman top 10 countdown list as individuals  where we post what we think the top 10 in that list should be .

or

#3 . Maybe you have your own Ideas and love for players that have nothing to do with the players mentioned  in the article  , They might not be known yet you have held  a life long musical connection with them and their music  . Tell us who they are ....

Kenny

43 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

#1, We can break out into a full out John Wayne bar room style fight where everyone is getting hit with chairs stools and punches 🤣 at least they looked like they were having fun and nobody got hurt ( it seems )

Oh yes and Brass knuckles are readily available at the counter ,👍😀

Edited by Pragi
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I'm still looking to find George Benson in there ...

Indeed, one of the first names that popped in my mind. I assumed (or not really) he had to be somewhere in there, though... 

And again, many of the cats listed are on my personal list of favorites because I come from that school. I just don't mistake them for "the greatest guitarists". 

• Like 2

All 250 of them are Jeff Beck!

Not a tough decision. 
Beck was playing the blues with the Tridents while Clapton was dreaming of being a “Bluesman”.

Jeff was laying down the Psychedelic Rock when Chas Chandler brought Hendrix to London. 

Jeff owned prog rock  

Head and shoulders above any who came before or after  

that is all…

t

• Like 3

Jeff Beck should be up there. That man could play. Most of the stuff he played live was improvised. His ability to coax sounds and emotions from those strings in his hands was magical. His technical ability was beyond question. His live playing was just as good, if not better, than anything he ever recorded. He should be the standard by which others were judged.

There is no doubt that Chuck Berry influenced many top name guitarists. And there is no doubt that Sister Rosetta  influenced Chuck, and many others.

Django should have been up there. Way up there!!

6 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

seeing a lot of concert footage of Page I still don't believe that's the same person on their studio recordings.

Randy Jackson of Zebra could play Zepplin much better than Page ever did live. I watched them play many many clubs in the Nola area when they were starting out. And they play it just like the record, note for note. I have never seen a video of Page doing his own songs as good as I have seen Randy play them. That's not to take anything away from Pages creativity. In that regard he's a genius. Great guitarist.... IDK 'bout that.

7 hours ago, Rain said:

The Edge (whom I sincerely like and appreciate) but no Danny Gatton

Agreed. I like the Edge, Some of U2's songs are some of my favs.  But Danny was a much better guitarist.

• Like 4