It's official: CbB will not continue for long.

John Vere

21 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

1-The latest release is not the final version. It is an early access only. It is very doubtful that it introduces new bugs. It is actually the opposite. 

I think it's more important to point out that an EA is a candidate for final release, not a beta. As such, it should be quite solid and stable but it's always possible that a new feature has issues with a certain workflow or project configuration that was not encountered by the beta team or that some change introduced a regression in related functionality. I would therefore advise that EA users who encounter problems should  review the list of fixes/features in the EA release post to see if there's anything there that seems even remotely related to the issue they're having. If the code that governs the functionality they're using hasn't been touched, it's highly unlikely the issue is new and specific to the EA release, and it should be reported in the generic Feedback thread instead of the EA release thread or - better yet - posed as an open question to the community to see if non-EA adopters can reproduce it. It's human nature to attribute "new" problems to recent changes, and being aware of correlations like that is an important part of troubleshooting, but you have to take care not to jump to conclusions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

7 hours ago, David Baay said:

I think it's more important to point out that an EA is a candidate for final release, not a beta. As such, it should be quite solid and stable but it's always possible that a new feature has issues with a certain workflow or project configuration that was not encountered by the beta team or that some change introduced a regression in related functionality. I would therefore advise that EA users who encounter problems should  review the list of fixes/features in the EA release post to see if there's anything there that seems even remotely related to the issue they're having. If the code that governs the functionality they're using hasn't been touched, it's highly unlikely the issue is new and specific to the EA release, and it should be reported in the generic Feedback thread instead of the EA release thread or - better yet - posed as an open question to the community to see if non-EA adopters can reproduce it. It's human nature to attribute "new" problems to recent changes, and being aware of correlations like that is an important part of troubleshooting, but you have to take care not to jump to conclusions.

I don't think I could have put it any better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 5:20 PM, Byron Dickens said:

I hope it does list at $499.

Might weed out some of the crowd who are shocked and upset to hear that recording takes an actual expenditure of time, money and effort.

Won't do anything about the crybabies with an entitlement mentality who are still sniveling about what they are "owed." They'd still bitch and moan if it was $1.

Right. That will teach us---??????

Edited by Pathfinder

On 9/12/2023 at 11:17 AM, Conteloto said:

Big error from bandlab, CbB is a great free software, but there are several app out there that can do the same work and they will be free. Half a hour and you have them to start working.

I'd love to  hear about  these free DAWs that can do what CbB can do. Tell me more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/13/2023 at 6:54 PM, chris.r said:

it all plays fine right until saved and reopen. Now I'm starting getting it that on saving, there is probably some part of the information missing hence the errors on reopening, some edits aren't saved correctly. Am I onto something here?

Yes. The first thing to do with any program when you save something and then when you reopen it it's corrupted is to check the integrity of your disk.

Drives eventually go bad physically, some sooner than others, and while it's much less common than it was 25 years ago, the file system can get corrupted, too.

The way to check is to go to My Computer, then right click on the drive and select Properties. From there, click on the Tools tab.

Also, Windows Defender is good at what it does (although I have issues with how it does it), but if I'm having any mystery troubles, I also like to run Malwarebytes Free.

Try those first, see if they help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will. said:

That $499 is $499 😌

I commented about the $499 teaching a lesson because I feel it wasn't , well a great comment.
As far as myself, I, have paid for CW, not as long as many of you but I have bought and paid since early 90's thru PLAT and upgrading every single time, never missed one. So over 30 years and counting.
Personally I am not worried about the cost but I do draw the line at subscriptions-That I will not do.

I actually miss the old days with Glennbo, Susan and many others!

Edited by Pathfinder

I am not talking about "lite" versions, for example Magix , this one

https://www.magix.com/us/music-editing/free-download/independence-free-sampler-software/

I think CbB is better for me, but you can do the same with this one.

Audacity, a different league I Know, has added vst support, more work, different way, but you can creat music with it.

And you can do a search in google, sure there are more of them.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Conteloto said:

I am not talking about "lite" versions, for example Magix , this one

https://www.magix.com/us/music-editing/free-download/independence-free-sampler-software/

I think CbB is better for me, but you can do the same with this one.

Audacity, a different league I Know, has added vst support, more work, different way, but you can creat music with it.

And you can do a search in google, sure there are more of them.

Audacity is an editor, not a DAW. Its no where near as powerful as CbB.

indépendance is a sampler not a DAW.

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am not one of the people that feel they got ripped off with the Gibson fiasco.  The last Cakewalk product that I actually bought was Sonar7 and it's 32bit. I've tried a few other Daws , and have Very recently.  I have nothing comfortable to fall back on.  My simple workflow never reveals bugs and I Never crash.

I am Totally hooked !   I will Have to stay with some version of this software.    Now I'm going to relax and quit worrying about it.    ms

• Like 1

Audacity is a DAW, I know it is not like CbB, that´s because I use CbB, but it is a DAW

Sorry about Magix, this one https://www.magix.com/es/musica/music-maker/ Music maker free edition, some limitations, but you can make music without a problem.

Another one :https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Another one https://lmms.io/  ...

Not to mention combining multiple applications

Yes, I know,some of them lack some feature, they have some limitation, but what I mean is that if you are looking to create music with a free DAW, there are many options to choose from, that's why I say that destroying CbB is a big mistake, because a large part of its users use it, we use it, because it is incredible but also because it is free

3 hours ago, Conteloto said:

Audacity is a DAW, I know it is not like CbB, that´s because I use CbB, but it is a DAW

Sorry about Magix, this one https://www.magix.com/es/musica/music-maker/ Music maker free edition, some limitations, but you can make music without a problem.

Another one :https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Another one https://lmms.io/  ...

Not to mention combining multiple applications

Yes, I know,some of them lack some feature, they have some limitation, but what I mean is that if you are looking to create music with a free DAW, there are many options to choose from, that's why I say that destroying CbB is a big mistake, because a large part of its users use it, we use it, because it is incredible but also because it is free

No, i think you’ll find most people think of Audacity’s editing features (some easier to use than CbB …….) but it is very limited in terms of if you think its a DAW.

But anyway, why stop using CbB ? Its not going away.

3 hours ago, Conteloto said:

... is a big mistake

I read this comment often here. But can't help myself thinking 'for who?'.

If you are not making money out of something, how can it be a big mistake to stop? Do we ever say that a volunteer at a community center makes a big mistake if he quits for any reason?

I understand that it is frustrating for some to see their favorite free DAW stop being free. Me included. But I can't blame a group of developer and their company wanting to be paid for their work. I am a software developer and would rather be paid for my work so I can buy groceries, gas, housing and what not. Seems obvious, no? If the free model does not work anymore for Bandlab, they have no choice but to go to a paid version. No choice.

If we have a little patience and wait for the pricing to be announced, we may be surprised that it is affordable enough.

Just to add, it was mentioned in a recent thread there would be a free version of one or more of the upcoming apps as well, so this all may be stress for nothing.

Feature for feature, there's really no other free apps out there with the feature set that CbB (and Sonar upcoming) has. If you don't need all of Sonar's features then sure... some of these other apps may work for you, but there's a reason most of us have chosen CbB as their primary DAW, be it feature set, legacy projects, preferred workflow, etc. so going to another free DAW for the sake of it being also free makes little sense, IMO.

Ultimately we don't know what the future plans are yet (as was discussed to death in another thread that got locked because it devolved into the same questions over and over, which currently there are no answers for), so the best advice is what has been mentioned so far: Let's wait and see.

If the price of the paid apps works for you, or the feature set of the free versions of the apps works for you, then top stuff! Keep using Cakewalk. If not, then you have a decision to make.  That's really about it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

No, i think you’ll find most people think of Audacity’s editing features (some easier to use than CbB …….) but it is very limited in terms of if you think its a DAW.

But anyway, why stop using CbB ? Its not going away.

I read no more updates for free version, but I also read that there'll no free version

About Audacity, I know it, it has  midi support ( very limited), anyway, I know we cannot compare with CbB, but you can make your music with it.

To clarify, the version of Cakewalk by Bandlab that's currently in Early Access will be the final version of Cakewalk by Bandlab. After this version is released, there will be no more updates to it since development will be moving to the new Sonar product.

Sonar will essentially be Cakewalk by Bandlab with extra features, bug fixes, ongoing development, and a new scalable interface, so it will be 100% backwards compatible and familiar to people who use Cakewalk by Bandlab. In fact, as far as I'm led to understand, except for the look of the controls themselves (being changed over to vector graphics), everything will be exactly where they are in Cakewalk by Bandlab now, so it's really like an upgraded version with ongoing development.

There was talk by one of the devs in a recent thread that there may be a free version of the products going forward, but nothing was elaborated on with that, and we won't know until there's an official announcement about it. Despite the Cakewalk dev team being small, Bandlab itself is a big company so anything said - likely even by the devs at this point - is subject to change by the time things are announced, although I'm sure whatever they're able to tell us is all in good faith with what they know and how much the CEO has allowed them to say at this point.

Bottom line is Cakewalk by Bandlab's final release will be out very soon, and won't be going away in the near future so people will have plenty of time to make up their minds about what they want to do when the new product announcement happens. Let's be patient. :) 

• Like 4

Can anyone indicate whether Cakewalk Sonar will have an easier way of developing themes (color assignments), perhaps even more preset choices of themes?   And hopefully a preset theme on the "lighter" side like one I found in 8.5.3.

Thank you!  

@AB7777  Initially it looks like there won't be any theme editor at all due to the change in technology to display the GUI (changing from bitmaps to vectors), but going forward I think this will open the door to a lot of easier customisation.

The problem with bitmaps is that they have a pre-defined size, and that's it. Shrink or grow them and they look like garbage, or you have to bake in different resolution versions and set up breakpoints for when they swap out at different resolutions, etc. - a real pain. That also means that if something gets shifted around, parts of the UI can break. We saw that when a couple of things were added into the Inspector last year and it broke a heap of custom themes that were dependent on those bitmaps being exactly the correct size. Vectors can be dynamically changed on the fly to fit in to any updates.

That all said, I have no idea what's going to become available to use for any custom themes in the future. It was mentioned that this functionality would be returned at some stage, but won't be there from the start.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't at least a light and dark theme on launch though, and being vectors, it shouldn't be a crazy amount of work for the devs to say "hey make all of this #cc33d5 colour" rather than going "ah crap, now I have to edit 385 images."

• Like 2